sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    โš ๏ธ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Is SketchUp Now Open-Source? Trimble Won't Like This

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Corner Bar
    34 Posts 11 Posters 744 Views 12 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • N
      numerobis
      last edited by

      Yes, we need to see to what extent plugins can be converted and what might need to be modified or rebuilt. Maybe it will be possible to build a converter. However, let's wait and see how things developโ€ฆ

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • ntxdaveN
        ntxdave
        last edited by TIG

        I am trying to learn the tool but having problems. There are times (like say with the bevel tool) where I would like to be able to enter values for the tool or understand how to control the axis for something like the rotation tool. So far, it has been iffy. I wish that the panel on the right side of the screen would give you more options to enter values. But I have just started so I will keep messing around and try to learn things. If someone has suggestions about where to find more instructions, please let me know.

        It is off to a good start but as others have said, a long way to go. One of the first things, IMO, is to provide notes about how to use various tools. As an example, if you want to rotate an object you need an option of how to select which axis you want to use for the rotation. Yes, if you hover the object you are trying to rotate, you need to be able to kit a key that specifies which axis you want to rotate on. But again, the tool is very new so there will, I assume, be many updates to help with using the software.

        Press F1...thank me later

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 1
        • P
          pixelcruncher Extension Creator
          last edited by

          I don't want to hijack this thread, but I also don't want to let the momentum go to waste. For the last couple of months, I've been chipping away at a simple, easy-to-use 3D modeling tool of my own (as a side project next to Rayscaper). It's still very rough around the edges, but I'd like to give people a sneak peek at what's coming and get early feedback on what I'm building. Like with Rayscaper, I love building it with the people who use it.

          Check out the first preview here: https://modlumi.com/ - Don't hesitate to leave feedback in the application!

          Thanks,
          Thomas

          I'm the developer of Rayscaper: https://rayscaper.com/ - Fast and easy rendering for SketchUp.

          jujuJ G 2 Replies Last reply
          Reply Quote 4
          • jujuJ
            juju @pixelcruncher
            last edited by

            @pixelcruncher You're welcome to start a new thread of your own, probably better so that all comments relating to the subject is contained in the same thread. ๐Ÿ˜€

            Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 1
            • Rich O BrienR
              Rich O Brien Moderator
              last edited by

              Things are getting interesting ๐Ÿ‘

              Download the free D'oh Book for SketchUp ๐Ÿ“–

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 4
              • KrassK
                Krass
                last edited by Krass

                hello,
                pixelcruncher ! not bad ! I like the viewport. I like the selection color, the UI. Geometry is too dark. I could not import a light recent model but it is a good start

                image.jpeg

                Krass

                P 1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 1
                • R
                  rv1974
                  last edited by

                  Too bad that developers are trying to "reinvent the wheel" in their own ghetto. If only it was implemented as "a-la sketchup" mode inside Blender, it would be another level.

                  P 1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • P
                    pixelcruncher Extension Creator @rv1974
                    last edited by

                    @rv1974 We are waiting for a great mind, like yourself, to do that.

                    I'm the developer of Rayscaper: https://rayscaper.com/ - Fast and easy rendering for SketchUp.

                    R 1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • G
                      Glenn at home
                      last edited by

                      Good. Competition keeps products fresh and generally the consumer wins.

                      SketchUp Pro 2025/2026 Dell XPS 8950 i9-12900K 64GB Ram RTX 3080

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 1
                      • G
                        Glenn at home @pixelcruncher
                        last edited by

                        @pixelcruncher Looking good. I was able to draw out a structure very quickly.

                        SketchUp Pro 2025/2026 Dell XPS 8950 i9-12900K 64GB Ram RTX 3080

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 2
                        • R
                          rv1974 @pixelcruncher
                          last edited by

                          @pixelcruncher said:

                          @rv1974 We are waiting for a great mind, like yourself, to do that.

                          who knows, maybe in 3-5 years, with GPT Bougainvillea

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • P
                            pixelcruncher Extension Creator @Krass
                            last edited by

                            @Krass Do you mind sending me the model so I can have a look?

                            I'm the developer of Rayscaper: https://rayscaper.com/ - Fast and easy rendering for SketchUp.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • KrassK
                              Krass
                              last edited by

                              Yes I Will do it tomorrow late morning

                              Krass

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • Mike AmosM
                                Mike Amos
                                last edited by

                                The browser version is a bit limited memory wise but that is normal for the course from what I have seen out there.

                                Absentia mortis praesentiam vitae probat, vita autem est argumentum constantiae.

                                P 1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • P
                                  pixelcruncher Extension Creator @Mike Amos
                                  last edited by

                                  @Mike-Amos Fair enough, I will have a desktop version available soon. I also have a limited browser version, so I can deploy fixes to users immediately, especially at this early stage. Releasing a new desktop version is always more hassle, and it requires users to upgrade.

                                  I'm the developer of Rayscaper: https://rayscaper.com/ - Fast and easy rendering for SketchUp.

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 1
                                  • jujuJ
                                    juju
                                    last edited by

                                    So Trimble SketchUp went after IngeTrazo...

                                    Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • KrassK
                                      Krass
                                      last edited by

                                      Trimble's pettiness is unparalleled

                                      Krass

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0

                                      Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                      Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                      With your input, this post could be even better ๐Ÿ’—

                                      Register Login
                                      • 1
                                      • 2
                                      • 1 / 2
                                      • First post
                                        Last post
                                      Buy SketchPlus
                                      Buy SUbD
                                      Buy WrapR
                                      Buy eBook
                                      Buy Modelur
                                      Buy Vertex Tools
                                      Buy SketchCuisine
                                      Buy FormFonts

                                      Advertisement