Is SketchUp Now Open-Source? Trimble Won't Like This
-
I came across this Youtube Clip a few minutes ago.
It seems like someone is replicating the Sketchup experience in Blender, with a Layout alternative.
Yes, it is early days, but it seems promising, with plugin support on the roadmap.
It can run on Linux as well as Windows platforms, has bilateral SKP support as well, soooo...
What are your thoughts?
-
I've been testing it...
It reminds me of the early versions of SketchUp - but it's only weeks old !
Looks to have promise as a free alternative...
With PY versus RB scripting on the horizon too ?
With sensible AI incorporation it could be a game changer...
AND 'dark-mode' and 'Linux' ! -
Get them to add apps and render, Rayscaper for example and see if Trimble are worried in any way.
I do not expect Trimble to panic because the early doors previews of software can differ a fair bit from released builds. Interesting thing though.
-
Very very interesting. How do get around windows defender. I get this message when I try to open the EXE file I get this " Windows protected your PC
Microsoft Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk."App:
ingetrazo-setup-v0.5.3.exe
Publisher:
Unknown publisher -
Solid looking app. Gonna test drive it
-
Just accept the risk and install it - the installer has not been 'signed' to Microsoft's liking, BUT the software is regarded as fully legit... Hopefully they'll fix the installer glitch in the future...
-
That and the installation being in Spanish.
-
@Mike-Amos
Google Translate on their web pages works well enough, but the installer's instructions are pretty obvious, even when in Spanish ? It is written by an engineer in Peru - so his principal language is Spanish, the installed app itself uses Spanish, Portuguese or English [and metric or imperial dimensioning] so it's easy enough to use once it's been installed. They are working on an English version of their pages and installer dialogs. It's only a few weeks old !
It's certainly NOT SketchUp, but shows what can happen when rewriting something from scratch, based on many features of a tried and trusted format like SketchUp... and of course it's free, multi-platform and even has dark-mode ! -
I think the result thus far is pretty amazing but tbh, during install there was only one of three options which made sense. I guessed correctly. Pretty sure all the little niggles that mean anything will be fixed before v1.0 at least. Increasing the tool buttons and menus will be handy for those of us minus 20/20 too. Potato/Banana..........
-
Very very interesting. How do get around windows defender. I get this message when I try to open the EXE file I get this " Windows protected your PC
Microsoft Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk."App:
ingetrazo-setup-v0.5.3.exe
Publisher:
Unknown publisherI have tried downloading the installer but cannot get it to show up in my downloaded folder to try to install it. I also keep getting messages that say it should not be trusted.
Can someone give me a link to something where I can go try it? I am running Windows 11.
-
Blocking dialog ...More Info > Run Anyway ? button ??
-
OK, I finally have it installed. Now it is time to do some learning. I was thinking (from the original post) that this was an extension of Blender. I see it is a completely separate app. Now I have to do some testing/learning. It will be interesting to see if there is any response from Trimble.
-
If it really does have similar inference functions, geometry generation, and display capabilities, then it will be very interesting to see how it performs. And to what extent they can integrate multithreading and GPU utilization...
-
hello,
It would be great to have a powerful free tool—I’ve tested it—but I feel that as long as the 2017 version of SketchUp exists, there’s no point to it.
It’s riddled with bugs. There’s also the Hew 3D version (https://github.com/hew3d/hew); the interface and navigation are excellent, but the rest is even worse. And what about extensions? -
And what about extensions?
"Extensions — a plugin system: drop a Python file in the plugins folder and its tools appear in the Extensions menu."
ingetrazo/docs/plugins.md at main · ingelibre/ingetrazo
Modelador 3D libre estilo SketchUp para arquitectura, ingeniería y diseño 3D. Linux-first, PySide6, integración IFC con IngePresupuestos. - ingetrazo/docs/plugins.md at main · ingelibre/ingetrazo
GitHub (github.com)
-
yes, but all extensions already done in ruby will be lost
-
@Krass
Its API is in a very early stage.
It is possible to convert RB to PY [AI etc] but, considering the likely API differences, I suspect that reusing whole scripts could be a timesome task !
BUT their core 'ideas' will still be valid - and reconsidering how these get realize on a newer platform might actually improve them in the long run ??
Let's wait and see - after all it is still only weeks old... -
Yes, we need to see to what extent plugins can be converted and what might need to be modified or rebuilt. Maybe it will be possible to build a converter. However, let's wait and see how things develop…
-
I am trying to learn the tool but having problems. There are times (like say with the bevel tool) where I would like to be able to enter values for the tool or understand how to control the axis for something like the rotation tool. So far, it has been iffy. I wish that the panel on the right side of the screen would give you more options to enter values. But I have just started so I will keep messing around and try to learn things. If someone has suggestions about where to find more instructions, please let me know.
It is off to a good start but as others have said, a long way to go. One of the first things, IMO, is to provide notes about how to use various tools. As an example, if you want to rotate an object you need an option of how to select which axis you want to use for the rotation. Yes, if you hover the object you are trying to rotate, you need to be able to kit a key that specifies which axis you want to rotate on. But again, the tool is very new so there will, I assume, be many updates to help with using the software.
-
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I also don't want to let the momentum go to waste. For the last couple of months, I've been chipping away at a simple, easy-to-use 3D modeling tool of my own (as a side project next to Rayscaper). It's still very rough around the edges, but I'd like to give people a sneak peek at what's coming and get early feedback on what I'm building. Like with Rayscaper, I love building it with the people who use it.
Check out the first preview here: https://modlumi.com/ - Don't hesitate to leave feedback in the application!
Thanks,
Thomas
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register LoginAdvertisement