sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Is SketchUp Now Open-Source? Trimble Won't Like This

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Corner Bar
    65 Posts 14 Posters 2.8k Views 15 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • P
      pixelcruncher Extension Creator
      last edited by pixelcruncher

      I agree with @mike-amos - There's clearly strong demand for a 3D tool as easy as SketchUp, but using the SketchUp name / marketing angle might get you in hot water with Trimble. But I could be wrong here, a lot of motivated people are chomping at the bit to dethrone established software and it's hard to keep them at bay. I know of a company in the real estate SaaS here in Belgium that's trying to cease and desist challengers but there are a lot of motivated people that want to take their share of that juicy real estate SaaS market here in Belgium.

      I'm the developer of Rayscaper: https://rayscaper.com/ - Fast and easy rendering for SketchUp.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • D
        diredjo @TIG
        last edited by TIG

        @TIG said:

        PushPull [FollowMe]'

        i seen this may problematic, a general names is extrude and sweep

        @Mike-Amos said:

        Look, wanting the product to succeed AND see the realities of the market AND how litigation is a massive part of life these days.

        for this, a case similar with Intellicad with Autocad and it seems not a problem.

        apologizes when i answered with doubting since i'm not a lawyer.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • TIGT
          TIG Moderator
          last edited by TIG

          @diredjo
          You misunderstood my point.
          SketchUp might think they 'own' some tool-names like PushPull and FollowMe - but then calling 'equivalent-tools' say Extrude [or perhaps Pull or Push] and Follow [or perhaps Sweep or Follow or FollowPath or ExtrudeAlong] would be cleaner and safer naming ways. There are easy ways to avoid 'passing-off' accusations...

          TIG

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • Mike AmosM
            Mike Amos
            last edited by

            Fact is, "Sketchup" is a trade mark and has property rights to it, downright calling a program that acts like Sketchup in many ways "open source Sketchup" is misleading and false advertising. Trimble could already be talking to lawyers and arranging to completely ruin someone's LIFE.

            Trade mark, copyright etc do not come cheap and when they pull the trigger with lawyers it will already cost them money so they will want THAT back for starters. Take a good look at the folk who made fan films in the Star Trek genre to see just how it can blow up in your face.

            I hope this works out, I really do as competition is GOOD.

            Absentia mortis praesentiam vitae probat, vita autem est argumentum constantiae.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • jujuJ
              juju
              last edited by

              Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 2
              • Mistro11M
                Mistro11
                last edited by Mistro11

                The developer did not put "Sketchup" in the name. That's the YouTube influencers doing. It's simply Ingetrazo. So I don't see a problem with Trimble coming after the developer because of using the word "Sketchup".

                I been watching this very closely and been testing it myself. I'm not happy with the way Trimble abandoned older loyal users like myself. Years ago I worked and saved money to buy a Pro license for around $700. Recently built a new PC and found out my Pro version of Sketchup can no longer be authorized. I do have 2017 free version but it's not Pro like I'm used to. So my main 3D pipeline been completely upended by both Trimble and the new overlords of Thea Render who both decided to abandon the very users who enthusiastically supported them in the past. Thea Render also discontinued support for the perpetual licenses we paid real money for. So I give a warm welcome to Ingetrazo and wish it all the best. If this new program gets proper texturing tools which Sketchup always lacked, it would be incredible. So far the plugins have started pouring in and I'm excited.

                Structural Integrity is Not Just Physical...It's in the Design and Purpose

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • ntxdaveN
                  ntxdave
                  last edited by

                  Can someone tell me how to use the follow me tool in Ingetrazo. When I have tried, I could not get it to work like it does in SketchUp.

                  Press F1...thank me later

                  Mistro11M 1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • Mistro11M
                    Mistro11 @ntxdave
                    last edited by

                    @ntxdave I got it to work fine. Just select the edge/s you want to follow, click on the follow me tool, then click on the face of the shape you want to follow the edge. I had a simple rectangle right at the corner.

                    Follow1.png

                    Follow2.png

                    Follow3.png

                    Structural Integrity is Not Just Physical...It's in the Design and Purpose

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 1
                    • KrassK
                      Krass
                      last edited by

                      helleo, it works for me on simple extrusion
                      image.jpeg

                      Krass

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • ntxdaveN
                        ntxdave
                        last edited by

                        Thanks guys. I do not know what I was doing wrong before but I now have it working. Still a lot to learn about using this tool. Things like learning how to select multiple items (like multiple lines and how to set the axis for something I am drawing) but at least I am moving forward.

                        Press F1...thank me later

                        G 1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 1
                        • G
                          Glenn at home @ntxdave
                          last edited by

                          @ntxdave It's also way early in its development.

                          SketchUp Pro 2025/2026 Dell XPS 8950 i9-12900K 64GB Ram RTX 3080

                          P 1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 2
                          • P
                            pixelcruncher Extension Creator @Glenn at home
                            last edited by

                            @Glenn-at-home said:

                            @ntxdave It's also way early in its development.

                            This @ntxdave - We are in uncharted territory here, figuring things out as we go. It's exciting times.

                            I'm the developer of Rayscaper: https://rayscaper.com/ - Fast and easy rendering for SketchUp.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0

                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                            Register Login
                            • 1
                            • 2
                            • 3
                            • 4
                            • 4 / 4
                            • First post
                              Last post
                            Buy SketchPlus
                            Buy SUbD
                            Buy WrapR
                            Buy eBook
                            Buy Modelur
                            Buy Vertex Tools
                            Buy SketchCuisine
                            Buy FormFonts

                            Advertisement