sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    [Tutorial > Texturing] Texturing an arch - #2

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Tutorials
    sketchup
    87 Posts 18 Posters 41.8k Views 18 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • GaieusG
      Gaieus
      last edited by

      That's quite a villa indeed! 👍

      The first link did not work at all but the wikipedia page also exists in English: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Olmeda

      Gai...

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • J
        juanfernandez
        last edited by

        The first link is OK, Gai. The web administrators, I don't know why, shut off their web sites by night, and turn on then early in the morning. It's a provincial institution-Diputación Provincial in spanish- and they have this weird way of publishing their web sites.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • GaieusG
          Gaieus
          last edited by

          Yes, I can see now... "Reconstrucción Virtual > Próximamente". Is this what you are working on?

          Gai...

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • J
            juanfernandez
            last edited by

            No, I am a newbie, and cannot take that job by now. I am a teacher, we plan do educative software and documents related to the Olmeda Villa. My 3D model is may way to learn SU with a motivating subject. Perhaps in the future I will be able of making something worth of the Villa. 😉

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • GaieusG
              Gaieus
              last edited by

              Get me to do it then. I am an archaeologist, too. 😉

              Gai...

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • J
                juanfernandez
                last edited by

                Ok, Gai, I'll take your word. ☀
                When I became profficient enough in SU to do the job, I'll call you. I have to work hard in SU. Then they have to let me take photographies and measurements of the Villa. I think there will be no problem, because I am in very good relations with the Villa's provincial managers.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • marvins_dadM
                  marvins_dad
                  last edited by

                  Thanks guys! Thanks for the tutorial and the tools!
                  Just saved me with this huge arch for an addition, which matches a design done 10 years ago on the same building.

                  BTW - I didn't read past the initial steps since I didn't have any issues, but if you are matching an opening - make the height of the flat column of brick equal to the length of outer arc of the assembly. Did that make sense?


                  Arch-mustang.jpg

                  My Gallery

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • GaieusG
                    Gaieus
                    last edited by

                    Nice arch! 👍

                    Of course, now we have Whaat's SketchUV Plugin (with tube mapping) which save even more time and head-ache...

                    @marvins_dad said:

                    BTW - I didn't read past the initial steps since I didn't have any issues, but if you are matching an opening - make the height of the flat column of brick equal to the length of outer arc of the assembly. Did that make sense?

                    I guess it all depends where you grab that column (inner or outer side) with Fredoscale.

                    Gai...

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • ziiarZ
                      ziiar
                      last edited by

                      Is there a way to do this without the FredoScale plugin? I'm making a gothic arch like the one mentioned in the previous thread:

                      http://sketchucation.com/forums/download/file.php?id=37073&mode=view/rokbox.jpg

                      I assume this was modeled with the follow me tool, which is what I did do model it.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • thomthomT
                        thomthom
                        last edited by

                        This wasn't made with FredoScale nor the Follow me tool.

                        I drew the outline, then offset to make the inner hole. Then another offset to create the line in the middle. After that I selected the edges of the inner hole and moved it inwards.

                        hm... this is probably better suited with screenshots....

                        Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                        List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • thomthomT
                          thomthom
                          last edited by

                          Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                          List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • Rich O BrienR
                            Rich O Brien Moderator
                            last edited by

                            @Thom

                            What flashed up at the start?

                            Download the free D'oh Book for SketchUp 📖

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • thomthomT
                              thomthom
                              last edited by

                              @rich o brien said:

                              What flashed up at the start?

                              ❓

                              Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                              List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • Rich O BrienR
                                Rich O Brien Moderator
                                last edited by

                                image 1.png

                                Download the free D'oh Book for SketchUp 📖

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • thomthomT
                                  thomthom
                                  last edited by

                                  ah - I use shortcuts of often I don't even notice it. That's my tool to inspect face and edge normals: http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21472#p180592

                                  Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                                  List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • ziiarZ
                                    ziiar
                                    last edited by

                                    Thanks thomthom! But I'm still not sure how to use the arcs as a perpendicular path for the textures like you did.

                                    http://sketchucation.com/forums/download/file.php?id=37072

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • GaieusG
                                      Gaieus
                                      last edited by

                                      It's time to make some new tutorials based on newer plugins (or newer versions of plugins). I might put together something during the week-end.

                                      Gai...

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • ziiarZ
                                        ziiar
                                        last edited by

                                        That would be great! looking forward to it.

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0

                                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                        Register Login
                                        • 1
                                        • 2
                                        • 3
                                        • 4
                                        • 5
                                        • 2 / 5
                                        • First post
                                          Last post
                                        Buy SketchPlus
                                        Buy SUbD
                                        Buy WrapR
                                        Buy eBook
                                        Buy Modelur
                                        Buy Vertex Tools
                                        Buy SketchCuisine
                                        Buy FormFonts

                                        Advertisement