sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    The "Duh!" thread (aka the Doh! thread)

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Discussions
    sketchup
    696 Posts 135 Posters 580.0k Views 135 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • A
      ArCAD-UK
      last edited by

      Just discovered in Layout 3 that if you select a block of text and right click (PC) there is a "Size to Fit" option which retains the text block width but extends the box height to show all the text. The amount of time I've spent manually adjusting my text boxes when the contents have been edited... 😳

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • R
        rv1974
        last edited by

        The 'Lock\unlock aspect ratio' at material edit drove me crazy for years.
        Clicking it wont change visually its state (stupid bug!). To see it changed one should move
        the cursor off the button.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • I
          iecovert
          last edited by

          %(#400080)[ALL toolbars can be mounted on the top OR the side! Not just the SU tools.

          I've got an increasing number of toolbars mounted up top since that's the way they first show up when a plugin is installed. The decreasing workspace was becoming an issue. The original SU toolbars mount vertically, so I set out to figure out how I could make the new Ruby and plugin toolbars mount vertically too. That seems to make more sense with a widescreen monitor. Spent several hours searching through the forums, help topics, and eventually digging into various Ruby scripts trying to figure it out over the past two weeks. Then last night I was moving a floating toolbar window and grabbed it a little to close to the edge and... it "stretched" out vertically. 🀣 Finally...]

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • A
            Aerilius
            last edited by

            (This belongs probably also into the developers forums:)

            window.onerror = function(errorMsg, url, lineNumber){ return true }
            

            This catches WebDialog script error popups (should they still sometimes occur after thorough testing)!
            Why didn't I find that before?
            Note: It needs to be assigned directly to %(#000000)[window] and not attached like %(#000000)[$(window).bind("error", function(){})].

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • GaieusG
              Gaieus
              last edited by

              Interesting. I do not have that "duh moment" reading this. πŸ˜†

              Gai...

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • jeff hammondJ
                jeff hammond
                last edited by

                @gaieus said:

                Interesting. I do not have that "duh moment" reading this. πŸ˜†

                same here… more like an "uhhhhh πŸ˜• moment"
                πŸ˜†

                dotdotdot

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • kenK
                  ken
                  last edited by

                  I guess I could call this "The Well I'll be Darn Thread". I have used Sketchup since V 4. And I know that the text tool will give me info on geometry. Like length, area, but today, surprise, I used the text tool on the apex of an angle and I got the following, the degrees of the angle in the text box. Never saw that before, and I would have an illustration to show you if I could get the text tool to do it again.

                  Ken

                  Fight like your the third monkey on Noah's Ark gangway.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • GaieusG
                    Gaieus
                    last edited by

                    I was reading a topic and realized that I did not understand a word.
                    Then looked up and also realized I was in the Developers Forum. πŸ˜’

                    Gai...

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • thomthomT
                      thomthom
                      last edited by

                      @gaieus said:

                      I was reading a topic and realized that I did not understand a word.
                      Then looked up and also realized I was in the Developers Forum. πŸ˜’

                      0101011101101000011000010111010000101100001000000111100101101111011101010010000001100100011011110010000001101110011011110111010000100000011101010110111001100100011001010111001001110011011101000110000101101110011001000010000001100010011010010110111001100001011100100111100100111111
                      

                      Thomas Thomassen β€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                      List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • TIGT
                        TIG Moderator
                        last edited by

                        Didn't you mean

                        010110010110111101110101001000000110010001101111001000000110111001101111011101000010000001110101011011100110010001100101011100100111001101110100011000010110111001100100001000000110001001101001011011100110000101110010011110010010000000100001
                        

                        πŸ˜• πŸ˜‰

                        TIG

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • Rich O BrienR
                          Rich O Brien Moderator
                          last edited by

                          01101000 01101111 01110111 00100000 01110010 01110101 01100100 01100101 00100001
                          

                          Download the free D'oh Book for SketchUp πŸ“–

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • TIGT
                            TIG Moderator
                            last edited by

                            It wasn't... but

                            0100011001100101011000110110101100100000011010010111001100100000011100100111010101100100011001010010000000100001
                            

                            TIG

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • M
                              mrossk
                              last edited by

                              I think I got geek all over me πŸ˜‰

                              https://www.mkaplanfinefurniture.com/

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • pilouP
                                pilou
                                last edited by

                                πŸ’š

                                	100001
                                	11000
                                	1110
                                	100011
                                	1100
                                	10001
                                	100100
                                	11110
                                

                                Frenchy Pilou
                                Is beautiful that please without concept!
                                My Little site :)

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • thomthomT
                                  thomthom
                                  last edited by

                                  @unknownuser said:

                                  Found a cool one today.

                                  Copy a line over and type 6" to set the distance. Then type *10 to array it 10 times.

                                  What I already knew was that you can type *8 or *4 or whatever to adjust the number of arrayed items.

                                  However I just found out that if you type 3" or 10" it will keep your array but adjust the spacing. Pretty sweet!

                                  -Brodie

                                  Duh!

                                  That is sweet!

                                  The manual doesn't even mention this!
                                  http://support.google.com/sketchup/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=94863

                                  Thomas Thomassen β€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                                  List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • H
                                    Heaps
                                    last edited by

                                    It even works with circular arrays - just type in the angle in degrees

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • brodieB
                                      brodie
                                      last edited by

                                      Found a cool one today.

                                      Copy a line over and type 6" to set the distance. Then type *10 to array it 10 times.

                                      What I already knew was that you can type *8 or *4 or whatever to adjust the number of arrayed items.

                                      However I just found out that if you then type 3" or 10" it will keep your array but adjust the spacing. Pretty sweet!

                                      -Brodie

                                      steelblue http://www.steelbluellc.com

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • broomstickB
                                        broomstick
                                        last edited by

                                        @unknownuser said:

                                        Found a cool one today.

                                        Copy a line over and type 6" to set the distance. Then type *10 to array it 10 times.

                                        What I already knew was that you can type *8 or *4 or whatever to adjust the number of arrayed items.

                                        However I just found out that if you then type 3" or 10" it will keep your array but adjust the spacing. Pretty sweet!

                                        -Brodie

                                        This, sir, just made my day!

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • Bob JamesB
                                          Bob James
                                          last edited by

                                          +1

                                          i7-4930K 3.4Ghz, 2x GTX780 6GB, 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 500GB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro, X-keys XK-60

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • jgbJ
                                            jgb
                                            last edited by

                                            @unknownuser said:

                                            Found a cool one today. πŸ˜’

                                            Copy a line over and type 6" to set the distance. Then type *10 to array it 10 times.

                                            What I already knew was that you can type *8 or *4 or whatever to adjust the number of arrayed items.

                                            However I just found out that if you then type 3" or 10" it will keep your array but adjust the spacing. Pretty sweet!

                                            -Brodie

                                            I just wish you found this last week, when I needed it. πŸ˜†


                                            jgb

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 31
                                            • 32
                                            • 33
                                            • 34
                                            • 35
                                            • 35 / 35
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement