sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    The "Duh!" thread (aka the Doh! thread)

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Discussions
    sketchup
    696 Posts 135 Posters 579.7k Views 135 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • BoxB
      Box
      last edited by

      I thought the same Carsten but the torus created isn't centered on the origin, certainly influenced by but not centered on.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • JQLJ
        JQL
        last edited by

        @cotty said:

        I think the reason is the different axis for the group (you can see both in BOXs gif). the follow me uses the path circle, but with the global axis.

        That is true! And that is why the circle's profile is not orthogonal with the path and the result is an elliptical profile donut with strange endings...

        Seems sketchup is picking the circle path and use it's context axis to place it relatively to the profile's context's axis.

        If the path's component´s axis would be centered with the circle and if the profile was centered in it's context axis, then the sphere would be created.

        If the profile had been drawn along the X axis a circular profile donut would have been created instead of an elliptical one.

        What also happened here is that Box grouped the path while you grouped the profile.

        I also bet things will work differently if using a group or component...

        www.casca.pt
        Visit us on facebook!

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • BoxB
          Box
          last edited by

          Talk about missing the point.


          Orth.gif

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • JQLJ
            JQL
            last edited by

            @box said:

            Talk about missing the point.

            LOL! That's cool! But you missed the point for most of it... 😆

            I think... 😕

            I'll try it in a minute but my gif creating capabilities are messed up since I got a 4k monitor... licecap doesn't work well nor other stuff I tried...

            www.casca.pt
            Visit us on facebook!

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • BoxB
              Box
              last edited by

              I am preparing my eggs for the sucking lesson.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • JQLJ
                JQL
                last edited by

                You have to center the axis inside the circle group prior to follow me.

                www.casca.pt
                Visit us on facebook!

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • JQLJ
                  JQL
                  last edited by

                  Sh** I'm doing it right now in several ways, but can't gif it!!!!

                  www.casca.pt
                  Visit us on facebook!

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • JQLJ
                    JQL
                    last edited by

                    wait a moment... changing computer!

                    www.casca.pt
                    Visit us on facebook!

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • BoxB
                      Box
                      last edited by

                      I think you have made my point for me. If the profile is in a group it causes a different result because it relates the group axis to the global axis. But if the profile is in a group it simply uses the group Axis.
                      QED

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • Rich O BrienR
                        Rich O Brien Moderator
                        last edited by

                        #handbags

                        Download the free D'oh Book for SketchUp 📖

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • BoxB
                          Box
                          last edited by

                          at forty paces!

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • JQLJ
                            JQL
                            last edited by

                            circle.gif

                            Well what was your point exactly?

                            www.casca.pt
                            Visit us on facebook!

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • BoxB
                              Box
                              last edited by

                              Which proved my point, the follow me reacts differently if the profile is grouped rather than the path being grouped. The origin axis comes into play when the path is grouped.
                              So my original assertion that odd things occur when you group the path is true.
                              Also my original model was orthographically correct and shows the relationship between the global axis and the group axis. If I did the follow me the other way it would have produced a sphere.
                              Moving the axis of the path solves the problem but is unrelated to the original post.

                              I simply pointed out that while Carsten was showing something that works beautifully one way it doesn't work the same way when reversed.

                              I'll add this for luck.


                              Unexpexted.gif

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • JQLJ
                                JQL
                                last edited by

                                Duh!

                                www.casca.pt
                                Visit us on facebook!

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • pmolsonP
                                  pmolson
                                  last edited by

                                  Did you know

                                  When you have a group open and everything else is faded away and hard to see you can click on the
                                  (use sun for shading button check box) and the rest of the model is then clear to see.

                                  I like this option for when I want to reference my open group to other parts of the model.

                                  01_group-open-shadows-off-s.JPG

                                  02_group-open-shadows-off-s.JPG

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • cottyC
                                    cotty
                                    last edited by

                                    👍
                                    In addition, you can influence this here furthermore...
                                    compfade.jpg

                                    my SketchUp gallery

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • pbacotP
                                      pbacot
                                      last edited by

                                      Just came across the follow me showdown. Maybe cause I'm coming off a cold ...I'm confused. Would be nice to know the best practice for other than circle paths. I have always thought it was a hassle needing to have the objects in the same context...but now I find you don't . Duh!!!

                                      MacOSX MojaveSketchUp Pro v19 Twilight v2 Thea v3 PowerCADD

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • icedkaszI
                                        icedkasz
                                        last edited by

                                        Just discovered that ctrl+shift+V pastes in place. Didn't know that for 3 versions. I've made messes out of contour maps by being millimeters off.

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • cottyC
                                          cotty
                                          last edited by

                                          @icedkasz said:

                                          Just discovered that ctrl+shift+V pastes in place. Didn't know that for 3 versions. I've made messes out of contour maps by being millimeters off.

                                          In the preferences, you can switch those two and use Ctrl+V for paste in place and Ctrl+Shift+V for simple pasting (I'm using pasting in place much more often).

                                          my SketchUp gallery

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • Bob JamesB
                                            Bob James
                                            last edited by

                                            @icedkasz said:

                                            Just discovered that ctrl+shift+V pastes in place. Didn't know that for 3 versions.

                                            You're not alone

                                            i7-4930K 3.4Ghz, 2x GTX780 6GB, 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 500GB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro, X-keys XK-60

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 27
                                            • 28
                                            • 29
                                            • 30
                                            • 31
                                            • 34
                                            • 35
                                            • 29 / 35
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement