sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    The "Duh!" thread (aka the Doh! thread)

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Discussions
    sketchup
    696 Posts 135 Posters 580.0k Views 135 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • david_hD
      david_h
      last edited by

      I've been taken to task just now on this one. . . I asked for a plugin to toggle the Construction lines on and off. . .turns out it's in the view menu. . .

      WHICH I NEVER USE BY THE WAY!!!!

      Hide Construction lines

      This is so humiliating. . .. 😳 πŸ’š

      I'm okay now. . .


      Why I am an idiot.PNG

      If I make it look easy...It is probably easy

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • J
        Jim
        last edited by

        I just learned that Edit > Delete Guides is context-sensitive - it deletes guides all guides starting from the current editing context and deeper, but not from "higher" level contexts. I had always thought it always deleted all guides, everywhere.

        Hi

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • thomthomT
          thomthom
          last edited by

          @jim said:

          I just learned that Edit > Delete Guides is context-sensitive - it deletes guides all guides starting from the current editing context and deeper, but not from "higher" level contexts. I had always thought it always deleted all guides, everywhere.

          I had that same realization a couple of weeks ago. πŸ˜„

          Thomas Thomassen β€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
          List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • thomthomT
            thomthom
            last edited by

            @rv1974 said:

            If Thom is already here..
            Only last week I discovered know that double clicking on blue balloons (edge tools-inspect gaps) actually close the gaps.
            Great tool!

            Ah, yea it's not that obvious - I had further plans for the UI. (also for CleanUp), but they've been down-prioritized.
            btw, no need to doubleclick - single click is enough.

            Thomas Thomassen β€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
            List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • R
              rv1974
              last edited by

              If Thom is already here..
              Only last week I discovered that double clicking on blue balloons (edge tools-inspect gaps) actually close the gaps.
              Great tool!

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • GaieusG
                Gaieus
                last edited by

                @jim said:

                I just learned that Edit > Delete Guides is context-sensitive - it deletes guides all guides starting from the current editing context and deeper, but not from "higher" level contexts. I had always thought it always deleted all guides, everywhere.

                Doh. 😲

                @rv1974 said:

                Only last week I discovered that double clicking on blue balloons (edge tools-inspect gaps) actually close the gaps.

                What???!!! πŸŽ‰

                Gai...

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • pilouP
                  pilou
                  last edited by

                  @unknownuser said:

                  Being able to select only a few edges from a face and offset them instead of the whole face.

                  Yes but edges must be selected without discontinuity! 😳 😳 😳

                  Frenchy Pilou
                  Is beautiful that please without concept!
                  My Little site :)

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • boofredlayB
                    boofredlay
                    last edited by

                    Something I just learned a couple days ago while studying the Google Earth Modeling videos.
                    D'oh, never knew that you could make a unique texture from a portion of another!

                    [flash=853,505:84crs2i3]http://www.youtube.com/v/18r2sCMUSBU&fs=1[/flash:84crs2i3]

                    http://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • DanielD
                      Daniel
                      last edited by

                      I've always known about hiding geometry by holding the shift key with the eraser, but last week I just noticed the "hidden" check box on the entity info window. 😳

                      My avatar is an anachronism.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • Bob JamesB
                        Bob James
                        last edited by

                        Never paid any attention to this thread until today 😳

                        @tig said:

                        .....select all faces with the same material as the one highlighted... then RickW pointed out that it is already a standard built-in tool under Select... 😳

                        OMG 😲 I soooo needed this yesterday πŸ‘Š
                        This thread is one of the greatest tutorials ever made!
                        Now to Page 1 and read (and write down) all of the golden nuggets in this thread.

                        i7-4930K 3.4Ghz, 2x GTX780 6GB, 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 500GB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro, X-keys XK-60

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • J
                          Jim
                          last edited by

                          @bob james said:

                          This thread is one of the greatest tutorials ever made!

                          Yeah, this thread would make a great mini-pub for SCF. I'd probably even buy a tree-ware version as I can't retain online info as well as I can with a good sit with a book.

                          Hi

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • pilouP
                            pilou
                            last edited by

                            @unknownuser said:

                            make a unique texture from a portion of another!

                            Seems only from the V7 and + πŸ˜‰

                            Frenchy Pilou
                            Is beautiful that please without concept!
                            My Little site :)

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • Bob JamesB
                              Bob James
                              last edited by

                              SU Duh.pdfCompilation of DUHs
                              This is an unedited regurgitation of all of the DUH items. Some are repeated.

                              i7-4930K 3.4Ghz, 2x GTX780 6GB, 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 500GB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro, X-keys XK-60

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • pilouP
                                pilou
                                last edited by

                                Cool idea! 😎

                                I will translate it when I arrive at this page! πŸ˜„ (in fact a sort of speedy copy / past because ...

                                I am now at the page 7 on French Section ! πŸ’š

                                Frenchy Pilou
                                Is beautiful that please without concept!
                                My Little site :)

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • dereiD
                                  derei
                                  last edited by

                                  What the... 😲?
                                  6.I could change the radius of a circle that's been extruded - maybe using Scale Tool πŸ˜•
                                  19. finding that by holding the spacebar down you can control the zoom in so you don't zip past the
                                  object your zooming to
                                  - really ? It doesn't seem to happen anything different when I zoom and keep spacebar pressed.

                                  ...and the list can continue.
                                  Maybe those should be verified, or given more detailed explanations. After all, its purpose is to teach the noobs, not to confuse them more πŸ’š

                                  EDIT:
                                  22. Also, any selection that only contains a single entity (not only a line) cannot be made a
                                  component (or group) this way. If you select a sphere (with a bounding box), there's a single
                                  "surface" selected only and you right click to turn it into a group/component in vain.
                                  - try pressing G or use the Make Component icon ... πŸ˜‰ maybe is not in vain

                                  DESIGNER AND ARTIST DEREI.UK

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • GaieusG
                                    Gaieus
                                    last edited by

                                    @unknownuser said:

                                    1. Also, any selection that only contains a single entity (not only a line) cannot be made a
                                      component (or group) this way. If you select a sphere (with a bounding box), there's a single
                                      "surface" selected only and you right click to turn it into a group/component in vain. - try pressing G or use the Make Component icon ... maybe is not in vain

                                    That's true - thus the inconsistency. SU should work the same way no matter where we access the same tool.

                                    Gai...

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • H
                                      HFM
                                      last edited by

                                      Found out last week that you can also color lines in your model 😲
                                      It even works with custom drawing styles πŸ˜„


                                      Colored lines ^^

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • jeff hammondJ
                                        jeff hammond
                                        last edited by

                                        @unknownuser said:

                                        What the... 😲?
                                        6.I could change the radius of a circle that's been extruded - maybe using Scale Tool πŸ˜•

                                        you can change the radius via the entity info dialog.. the same way you would change the radius of a circle except that it also works if the circle has been extruded

                                        dotdotdot

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • dereiD
                                          derei
                                          last edited by

                                          @unknownuser said:

                                          you can change the radius via the entity info dialog.. the same way you would change the radius of a circle except that it also works if the circle has been extruded

                                          Heh, that's cool πŸ˜„ Inattentional blindness is to blame... I've seen that number of segments is grayed-out, and I didn't seen that the radius is fully editable.

                                          DESIGNER AND ARTIST DEREI.UK

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • pilouP
                                            pilou
                                            last edited by

                                            @unknownuser said:

                                            Found out last week that you can also color lines in your model

                                            you have a crazzy plug about that! πŸ˜‰
                                            ChrisP_Color_edge By C Plassais 😎

                                            Frenchy Pilou
                                            Is beautiful that please without concept!
                                            My Little site :)

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 29
                                            • 30
                                            • 31
                                            • 32
                                            • 33
                                            • 34
                                            • 35
                                            • 31 / 35
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement