sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Alpha Channel, Trees, Vray - HELP

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved V-Ray
    renderpluginsextensions
    30 Posts 13 Posters 24.3k Views 13 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • J
      jdcarling
      last edited by

      Hey all,

      I read this post and have figured out how to create the alpha channel in photoshop for a tree, but cannot find the location to insert the png properly in the material editor - diffuse - transparency. I clicked the lower case, then switched the left panel to TEXBITMAP but coudl not insert the alpha channel PNG anywhere... any tips.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • J
        jdcarling
        last edited by

        Hey All,

        I read this post and have figured out how to create the alpha channel in photoshop for a tree, but cannot find the location to insert the png properly in the material editor - diffuse - transparency. I clicked the lower case, then switched the left panel to TEXBITMAP but coudl not insert the alpha channel PNG anywhere... any tips.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • thomthomT
          thomthom
          last edited by

          In the Transparency slot of the diffuse layer - add a TexBitmp:
          vfsualpah.png

          Thomas Thomassen β€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
          List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • kaluK
            kalu
            last edited by

            Hi thomthom:

            I have this dilema, I read the post all perfect. I try to mimic the results and I want to know what I am doing wrong. I attach the tree and the images for the render. Please let me know what I am doing wrong. I use Sketchup Pro 8 and Vray 1.48.89. Some of the leaves show as a rectangular green. I have no Idea why.

            Here is the link to the 3D model of the tree:

            https://rcpt.yousendit.com/1023169415/e1236da1e739047eed35fa1248da71be

            Thank you!!!!


            EU03lef.png


            EU03lef-Alpha.png


            tree.jpg


            tree01.jpg


            difuse01.jpg


            difuse02.jpg


            difuse03.jpg

            THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FICTION AND REALITY IS WHEN FICTION HAS TO BE CREDIBLE

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • thomthomT
              thomthom
              last edited by

              That's because you didn't map the backside of the faces. You can even see that in SketchUp.

              I'm guessing you imported this from another 3d format?
              Because of that you lost the backside information. Many other 3d apps doesn't display anything on the backside of faces. You have to explicitly enable it.

              To quickly transfer UV mapping from one side to another, use this plugin: http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtopic.php?f=323&t=18992&p=155759#p155759

              Thomas Thomassen β€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
              List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • kaluK
                kalu
                last edited by

                Thank you ThomThom, aweomse your plugin, I have that problem when Import 3DS trees...

                This is the result:


                tree.jpg


                tree1.jpg

                THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FICTION AND REALITY IS WHEN FICTION HAS TO BE CREDIBLE

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • thomthomT
                  thomthom
                  last edited by

                  πŸ‘ Nice

                  Where's that top tree from?

                  Thomas Thomassen β€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                  List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • kaluK
                    kalu
                    last edited by

                    Is from ASGVIS, I need to use for a Tutorial that I work right now.

                    THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FICTION AND REALITY IS WHEN FICTION HAS TO BE CREDIBLE

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • T
                      teris
                      last edited by

                      i've tried it... but it didn't work out... i wonder what part i've missed...

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • T
                        teris
                        last edited by

                        i've tried it using vray 1.48.xx,,, it works... just use the color texture as transparency option... but when i tried it using vray 6 with the explanation above,,, it still didn't work... i still wonder... help me out guys... thanks...

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • bac9-flclB
                          bac9-flcl
                          last edited by

                          Isn't there a way to utilize normal transparency types supported in SketchUp? I'm talking about alpha channels in .png/.tga/etc textures.

                          I have a vast library of transparent materials, but all of them have transparency data inside, not as a separate file - and it is very inconvenient for me to make separate images with alpha, just to meet weird V-Ray standards. Is it possible (in V-Ray material editor) to assign alpha channel of e.g. RGBA .tga texture to be used as transparency map?

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • andybotA
                            andybot
                            last edited by

                            There is a check box in the material diffuse layer to "use color texture as transparency" for just such files.

                            http://charlottesvillearchitecturalrendering.com/

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • A
                              ali64risk
                              last edited by

                              @devran said:

                              rightclick on the alpha channel and save as a new picture... thats all

                              I tried but I could not...
                              please someone explain more?
                              (right clicking on alpha channel in Photoshop gave me 2 options: "duplicate channel" and "save channel"... where I can save alpha channel as png?)

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • N
                                nomeradona
                                last edited by

                                ali.. what they were talking was the workflow for the old version. the new vray version, dont worry, just follow what andybot said.

                                visit my blog: http://www.nomeradona.blogspot.com

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • A
                                  ali64risk
                                  last edited by

                                  @nomeradona said:

                                  just follow what andybot said.

                                  thank you
                                  yes it is working

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0

                                  Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                  Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                  With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                  Register Login
                                  • 1
                                  • 2
                                  • 1 / 2
                                  • First post
                                    Last post
                                  Buy SketchPlus
                                  Buy SUbD
                                  Buy WrapR
                                  Buy eBook
                                  Buy Modelur
                                  Buy Vertex Tools
                                  Buy SketchCuisine
                                  Buy FormFonts

                                  Advertisement