sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    โš ๏ธ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Ghost outline of proxy mesh

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SUbD
    renderpluginsextensions
    17 Posts 6 Posters 14.6k Views 6 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • E
      Einstein
      last edited by

      Hi,

      Artisan has a nice feature of displaying subdivided mesh and proxy at the same time, in one place, so you immediately see results of changes done. It there or is maybe planned to add such an option in SubD?


      Ghost outline w artisanie.png

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • thomthomT
        thomthom
        last edited by

        I recently noticed Blender had similar mode when I was playing around. I felt it was nice to work with this mode. I logged a feature request for this.

        Thomas Thomassen โ€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
        List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • PixeroP
          Pixero
          last edited by

          +10 for this.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • N
            numerobis
            last edited by

            +100 ๐Ÿ˜‰

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • PixeroP
              Pixero
              last edited by

              +10[sup:beaja8vq]100[/sup:beaja8vq] ๐Ÿ˜‰

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • N
                numerobis
                last edited by

                @thomthom said:

                I recently noticed Blender had similar mode when I was playing around. I felt it was nice to work with this mode. I logged a feature request for this.

                I was hoping that a sub-d cage display mode was already in development for a longer time. For me this is a basic feature. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

                Btw. i really hope that performance and stability can be improved in the future. As it is now, the modeling process is still very laborious and slow with many geometry problems and SU is crashing a lot.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • thomthomT
                  thomthom
                  last edited by

                  @numerobis said:

                  many geometry problems and SU is crashing a lot.

                  If you experience what appear to be bug and crashes, then please report them along with test model, SketchUp version, OS platform and steps to reproduce.

                  I've actually not heard much about crashes.

                  Thomas Thomassen โ€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                  List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • N
                    numerobis
                    last edited by

                    I think it's not so easy to reproduce in most cases. It could be related to "bad" geometry and bigger models but they are not crashing every time. In some cases maybe only every third or fourth switch (to the subdivided version), so maybe there is something that builds up in the memory over time.
                    I can try to isolate the model if it appears the next time and send it to you, but i think it's more diffuse and seems to happen with almost every model sooner or later.
                    (SketchUp 2015, Win 7)

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • BoxB
                      Box
                      last edited by

                      If you make the 'cage' thing, please make it possible to remove or make invisible, I for one definitely don't want it.

                      I push SUbD to some serious limits and have seen very few crashes. Perhaps upgrading from 2015 would be sensible.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • N
                        numerobis
                        last edited by

                        @box said:

                        If you make the 'cage' thing, please make it possible to remove or make invisible,

                        Yes, of course... (as it is in any other program)

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • thomthomT
                          thomthom
                          last edited by

                          @numerobis said:

                          I think it's not so easy to reproduce in most cases. It could be related to "bad" geometry and bigger models but they are not crashing every time. In some cases maybe only every third or fourth switch (to the subdivided version), so maybe there is something that builds up in the memory over time.
                          I can try to isolate the model if it appears the next time and send it to you, but i think it's more diffuse and seems to happen with almost every model sooner or later.
                          (SketchUp 2015, Win 7)

                          It could be other extensions with observers interfering in some way. It could also be due to some bug in the Ruby object manager that was fixed in SU2016 (I see you are using SU2015.) For SU2016 I was fixing a nasty set of bugs that was difficult to detect - they would manifest at a later time. Essentially the side effect of the bug was that an API user would have a references to what Ruby claimed to be an Edge, but in reality be a different entity all together. That could lead to what you describe.

                          Thomas Thomassen โ€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                          List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • thomthomT
                            thomthom
                            last edited by

                            @box said:

                            If you make the 'cage' thing, please make it possible to remove or make invisible, I for one definitely don't want it.

                            Yes, if this manifests it would be an option. Right now I'm toying with the feasibility of creating the subdivided mesh as a separate sub-group when in this mode. The control mesh would then be set with a transparent material.

                            Thomas Thomassen โ€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                            List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • N
                              numerobis
                              last edited by

                              @thomthom said:

                              It could also be due to some bug in the Ruby object manager that was fixed in SU2016 (I see you are using SU2015.) For SU2016 I was fixing a nasty set of bugs that was difficult to detect

                              Ok. Then I will try it in v2019 if it gets released sometime...

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • Gus RG
                                Gus R
                                last edited by

                                I was about to ask. Where is the proxy mesh like the one in Artisan? So the work flow involves making a proxy; subdividing; un-subdivide; then resubdivide? Each time you make a change? So toggle back and forth? Seems a little cumbersome and it does need a static proxy mesh like Artisan's version.

                                www.instagram.com/gusrobatto/

                                www.facebook.com/gusrobatto

                                www.flickr.com/photos/gusrobatto

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • E
                                  Einstein
                                  last edited by

                                  @gus r said:

                                  I was about to ask. Where is the proxy mesh like the one in Artisan? So the work flow involves making a proxy; subdividing; un-subdivide; then resubdivide? Each time you make a change? So toggle back and forth? Seems a little cumbersome and it does need a static proxy mesh like Artisan's version.

                                  Right, this is how it works now. Toggling subdivision is quite fast with SubD, however it could be even faster if assigning a shortcut was possible. By the way, I am surprised I can't see "toggle subdivision on/off" in Prefs-Shortcuts list. Is this just my machine? I already saw some missing features in that list.

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • Gus RG
                                    Gus R
                                    last edited by

                                    I did find two shortcuts that will work to toggle on and off.

                                    One is assigned to turn on the subdivision and another is assigned turn off. There isn't a single on and off switch. I tested it with a colon and single quote key. Any unassigned key should work.

                                    Search in preferences for "mesh."

                                    This obviously won't change the dynamic nature of a static proxy being visible.


                                    Untitled-1.jpg

                                    www.instagram.com/gusrobatto/

                                    www.facebook.com/gusrobatto

                                    www.flickr.com/photos/gusrobatto

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • thomthomT
                                      thomthom
                                      last edited by

                                      @einstein said:

                                      Right, this is how it works now. Toggling subdivision is quite fast with SubD, however it could be even faster if assigning a shortcut was possible. By the way, I am surprised I can't see "toggle subdivision on/off" in Prefs-Shortcuts list. Is this just my machine? I already saw some missing features in that list.

                                      Take note of the name of the menu item.
                                      2019-02-05_17h56_27.png

                                      Thomas Thomassen โ€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                                      List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0

                                      Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                      Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                      With your input, this post could be even better ๐Ÿ’—

                                      Register Login
                                      • 1 / 1
                                      • First post
                                        Last post
                                      Buy SketchPlus
                                      Buy SUbD
                                      Buy WrapR
                                      Buy eBook
                                      Buy Modelur
                                      Buy Vertex Tools
                                      Buy SketchCuisine
                                      Buy FormFonts

                                      Advertisement