sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    SketchUp 2018

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Discussions
    sketchup
    173 Posts 63 Posters 66.7k Views 63 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • jujuJ
      juju
      last edited by

      @ntxdave said:

      @juju said:

      You could also click on the renew option, enter your serial and a new one for SU2018 will be generated.

      OK - I will show my stupidity - what renew option?

      Sorry, I should have been clearer, on the SketchUp website.

      https://www.sketchup.com/license/renew

      Insert your licence, the system will check their database and report on your maintenance status together with a new serial for SUpro2018 if maintenance is current (which it should be from your feedback on when you bought / renewed / upgraded earlier in the year).

      Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • D
        david.
        last edited by

        My 3DConnexion SpaceNavigator doesn't work with 2018. Seems like this happened with 2017, too. I currently can't connect to 3DConnexion.com to check for updated drivers.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • ntxdaveN
          ntxdave
          last edited by

          @juju said:

          @ntxdave said:

          @juju said:

          You could also click on the renew option, enter your serial and a new one for SU2018 will be generated.

          OK - I will show my stupidity - what renew option?

          Sorry, I should have been clearer, on the SketchUp website.

          https://www.sketchup.com/license/renew

          Insert your licence, the system will check their database and report on your maintenance status together with a new serial for SUpro2018 if maintenance is current (which it should be from your feedback on when you bought / renewed / upgraded earlier in the year).

          Thanks juju........

          Jos so others know, getting the new serial number is not enough (which is all that shows on the web site when you renew). Click on the Send Email link so you will also get the new authorization key.

          Press F1...thank me later

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • neetsN
            neets
            last edited by

            Hi Dave! πŸ˜„

            Gotta admit, this is freaking me out! No new versions of SketchUp Make??!!

            Say it can't be true!

            I opted for a 2017 Macbook Pro by the way! For anyone reading this, I'm still a Windows gal but I had to invest in a Mac for my business!

            Anita

            Interested to know more about me and my 3D Visualisation work? Then you want to click right here: http://anitabrowndesignstudio.com/

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • D
              david.
              last edited by

              @charlie__v said:

              @david. said:

              My 3DConnexion SpaceNavigator doesn't work with 2018. Seems like this happened with 2017, too. I currently can't connect to 3DConnexion.com to check for updated drivers.

              David,
              I updated my 3DXware to latest and it did not make my SpaceNaivagtor kick on in SU 2018. (& yes this happened w/SU 2017 as well....a later update from 3DX ware did support 2017)

              So: I copied over the Folder: 3DxSketchUp & 3DxSketchUp.rb from my 2017 SU Plugins folder.

              File path for 2017: C:\ProgramData\SketchUp\SketchUp 2017\SketchUp\Plugins

              **SU 2018 did not have a Plugin folder in the following location so you will have to create one.

              File path for 2018: C:\ProgramData\SketchUp\SketchUp 2017\SketchUp\Plugins

              C

              Charlie,

              That worked for me. Thanks!

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • davidmreinboldD
                davidmreinbold
                last edited by

                @panixia said:

                @dave r said:

                @function said:

                Sketchup Make gone... hard to believe

                @panixia said:

                Moreover is clear enough that they are developing the software in a direction which only makes sense for architects (maybe).

                Well actually "maybe not" is the answer for me as an architect. I have been using the software since 'Sketchup 7' for architectural work and these days I am using both Sketchup and Layout to equal parts for modelling and design documentation.

                Here are my five pennies worth from an architectural workflow perspective...

                SECTION FILLS
                This has been overdue since for an entire decade, and is now (thanks to the Skalp team)too little too late and because of this for me the biggest disappointment of this version.

                ADVANCED ATTRIBUTES
                I could not care less about this feature. I know BIM is all the hype but in reality I don't see myself using this for reporting such as window schedules on small domestic projects. Window schedules require a lot more individual information which can not easily be pulled from a model i.e. solar direction, action type, glazing options etc. To set up a template for all the options, check and maintain the data pulls trough in a comprehensive way, and then quiet likely still having to tweak and add more specific data would take significantly more time then it could ever safe thereafter.

                LAYOUT IMPROVEMENTS
                The ability to draw to scale in Layout may prove to useful(INSTRUCTION VIDEO PLEASE). However Layout still needs a lot more pressing improvements in particular the handling of layer visibility setting when adding new layers which is currently counter productive and very time consuming to put it nicely. Also as JuJU suggested synchronization of layers directly with Sketchup would be a no-brainer and is long overdue.

                DWG TO LAYOUT
                Very nice! But does I am not sure how often I will really use it as I try to stay away from Autocad where I can, and importing dwg files i assume means I have to prepare and fine tune the in Autocad first...(INSTRUCTION VIDEO PLEASE)

                All in all I am quiet unimpressed by the new features and for the first time I am considering of skipping a version...

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • C
                  Charlie__V
                  last edited by

                  @david. said:

                  @charlie__v said:

                  @david. said:

                  My 3DConnexion SpaceNavigator doesn't work with 2018. Seems like this happened with 2017, too. I currently can't connect to 3DConnexion.com to check for updated drivers.

                  David,
                  I updated my 3DXware to latest and it did not make my SpaceNaivagtor kick on in SU 2018. (& yes this happened w/SU 2017 as well....a later update from 3DX ware did support 2017)

                  So: I copied over the Folder: 3DxSketchUp & 3DxSketchUp.rb from my 2017 SU Plugins folder.

                  File path for 2017: C:\ProgramData\SketchUp\SketchUp 2017\SketchUp\Plugins

                  **SU 2018 did not have a Plugin folder in the following location so you will have to create one.

                  File path for 2018: C:\ProgramData\SketchUp\SketchUp 2018\SketchUp\Plugins

                  C

                  Charlie,

                  That worked for me. Thanks!

                  Oh good......because I just now noticed small typo on the file path to 2018......fixed now via forum edit. 😎

                  Precision M1710/Win 7 Pro 64 bit/i-7 6920 Quad core 2.9 Ghz -3.8/16Gb ram/NVIDIA M5000M 8Gb

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • C
                    Charlie__V
                    last edited by

                    @david. said:

                    My 3DConnexion SpaceNavigator doesn't work with 2018. Seems like this happened with 2017, too. I currently can't connect to 3DConnexion.com to check for updated drivers.

                    David,
                    I updated my 3DXware to latest and it did not make my SpaceNaivagtor kick on in SU 2018. (& yes this happened w/SU 2017 as well....a later update from 3DX ware did support 2017)

                    So: I copied over the Folder: 3DxSketchUp & 3DxSketchUp.rb from my 2017 SU Plugins folder.

                    File path for 2017: C:\ProgramData\SketchUp\SketchUp 2017\SketchUp\Plugins

                    **SU 2018 did not have a Plugin folder in the following location so you will have to create one.

                    File path for 2018: C:\ProgramData\SketchUp\SketchUp 2018\SketchUp\Plugins

                    C

                    Precision M1710/Win 7 Pro 64 bit/i-7 6920 Quad core 2.9 Ghz -3.8/16Gb ram/NVIDIA M5000M 8Gb

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • masterpaulM
                      masterpaul
                      last edited by

                      They are trying to force people to eventually buy the pro version. Sketchup Make will eventually become obsolete and inefficient compared to the newer versions. Eventually, newer plugins will become incompatible with the old SketchUp make.

                      Let's not kid ourselfs. Sketchup free is NOT a replacement for make (at least in its current state). They completely misunderstood what made SketchUp so attractive in the first place; it was its ease of use and how powerful it was thanks to its plugins. Without these extensions, sketchup would have been forgotten in obscurity and it would have never achieved the acceptance it has today. Only simple models would have been possible and it would have been too inefficient for anything more complex. These extensions were easy to use and fit into SketchUp's philosophy well.

                      Sketchup free is a purely business move. It has been completely gimped in order to force people into pro subscriptions. They took away features under the excuse of making it easier and more accessible to use. While truthfully they made complex models even harder to create. Even an advert supported Sketchup make 2018 (advert on startup) would have been a better idea then the online free version.

                      The current trajectory will most likely lead to a reduction of hobby users which would eventually reduce the number of extensions in development. Which will lead to a decline in pro users. Even kids will move on from FREE as they eventually will want to create more complex creations (when I was 14, it was only a week before I downloaded my first plugin).

                      And even if someday they add extensions to SketchUp Free, it's online only.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • pbacotP
                        pbacot
                        last edited by

                        As a business, I suppose they don't have any other reason to make moves other than business moves. I think the free version was good for business, but I suppose they've done more homework than simply "I think...."

                        MacOSX MojaveSketchUp Pro v19 Twilight v2 Thea v3 PowerCADD

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • D
                          deadtaco
                          last edited by

                          @chrisjk said:

                          SU 2018 appears to be available in Oz.

                          http://www.sketchupaustralia.com.au/sketchup-pro-2018/

                          Dunno if this is spoof or real...

                          Is that really all that is new in 2018? Just new types of sections? Seriously? There's gotta be something I'm missing here. If that's the only change, why bother upgrading? There were so many things requested in the 2018 wish list forum post on the Sketchup forums. Did they even look at it?

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • JQLJ
                            JQL
                            last edited by

                            @deadtaco said:

                            There were so many things requested in the 2018 wish list forum post on the Sketchup forums. Did they even look at it?

                            I'm lead to believe they couldn't as Make was standing in the way.

                            LOL

                            Now seriously. Sketchup 8 is still free to use commercially. Make 2017 will be free to use for several years for hobbyists (though it's used by pros too, and that's the reality). Sketchup Free will keep being around and developed. Eventually it will get extensions too.

                            Let the focus be on Pro.

                            I'm an architect by the way. Layout is a main part of what I do. It's getting better by the year.

                            I also see better plugins every year and most of them solve most things being said here. These happen, I believe, due to a lot of work on the API side.

                            www.casca.pt
                            Visit us on facebook!

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • masterpaulM
                              masterpaul
                              last edited by

                              @pbacot said:

                              As a business, I suppose they don't have any other reason to make moves other than business moves. I think the free version was good for business, but I suppose they've done more homework than simply "I think...."

                              There been quite a few cases were businesses got it completely wrong with dire consequences.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • masterpaulM
                                masterpaul
                                last edited by

                                @jql said:

                                @deadtaco said:

                                There were so many things requested in the 2018 wish list forum post on the Sketchup forums. Did they even look at it?

                                I'm lead to believe they couldn't as Make was standing in the way.

                                LOL

                                Now seriously. Sketchup 8 is still free to use commercially. Make 2017 will be free to use for several years for hobbyists (though it's used by pros too, and that's the reality). Sketchup Free will keep being around and developed. Eventually it will get extensions too.

                                Let the focus be on Pro.

                                I'm an architect by the way. Layout is a main part of what I do. It's getting better by the year.

                                I also see better plugins every year and most of them solve most things being said here. These happen, I believe, due to a lot of work on the API side.

                                Sketchup free will take more resources away from the offline PRO. It is a completely different beast, most likely runs on a different code (html5). Not to mention that if they add extensions to Free, they will most likely be incompatible with the offline PRO. It would split developers between two bases.
                                Make was just pro with layout, style builder and a few features locked behind a paywall; that barely took any resources away.

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • JQLJ
                                  JQL
                                  last edited by

                                  I agree with you Master... (bowing head) The future of Make though, is limited in growth. The future of a web based Sketchup, we don't know.

                                  In the past Make and Pro were riding side by side. Consider two branches now. Offline and Online.

                                  Where they will meet again in the future we don't know but it might have some potential.

                                  The thing is that Pro was never distant enough from free. Now it is.

                                  Unfortunatelly this distance wasn't acomplished through breaking ground with new and good for all features, but with cutting down weight.

                                  I too long for UV mapping. For real management of sections. For a streamlined relationship between Sketchup and Layout. For a Layout that truly allows us to draw and tag the model as Pros do. For huge bigger models. Seamless import of any formats. Maneageable billions of polys...

                                  Eventually what I really need is way better plugins to get more pro features that we lack in Sketchup.

                                  www.casca.pt
                                  Visit us on facebook!

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • wiskillW
                                    wiskill
                                    last edited by

                                    This year's version was so lackluster they didn't even bother make a what's new video about it.

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • jujuJ
                                      juju
                                      last edited by

                                      @wiskill said:

                                      This year's version was so lackluster they didn't even bother make a what's new video about it.

                                      I don't know hey, I watched no less than two clips on Youtube last night, by SketchUp themselves (there are others), about new features.

                                      Please get your facts straight.

                                      Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • jiminy-billy-bobJ
                                        jiminy-billy-bob
                                        last edited by

                                        @masterpaul said:

                                        Sketchup free will take more resources away from the offline PRO. It is a completely different beast, most likely runs on a different code (html5).

                                        No, the core code is the same, only the UI differs. Any improvement made to the core will benefit both platforms.

                                        25% off Skatter for SketchUcation Premium Members

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • PixeroP
                                          Pixero
                                          last edited by

                                          @jiminy-billy-bob said:

                                          @masterpaul said:

                                          Sketchup free will take more resources away from the offline PRO. It is a completely different beast, most likely runs on a different code (html5).

                                          No, the core code is the same, only the UI differs. Any improvement made to the core will benefit both platforms.

                                          If the core code is the same, adding support for extensions to the web version would be possible, right?
                                          Or does it already have support for extensions built in but not yet exposed?

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • K
                                            Khai
                                            last edited by

                                            Oooh a sketchup on Android!

                                            Just ran the free on Chrome on my galaxy s8... Teeny glitches, but runs!

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 3
                                            • 4
                                            • 5
                                            • 6
                                            • 7
                                            • 8
                                            • 9
                                            • 6 / 9
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement