sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Hand rendering

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Gallery
    50 Posts 20 Posters 9.8k Views 20 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • tademaT
      tadema
      last edited by

      Thank you Jochen.

      Mike, like others I wish more people would participate in the gallery and renew the "buzz" it once had.

      Bob, please forgive me, reading my post certainly sounds a lot "meaner" than it was meant.
      I really wish I had time to produce a walk-thru of the process but basically it's taking the SU output and then the majority of work is done in Photoshop compositing images as well as hand painting. It has a lot of similarities with matte painting and more involving than basic rendering, your output is more real time than having to produce test renders.
      Hoping this explains a little better.

      take care
      John

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • Rich O BrienR
        Rich O Brien Moderator
        last edited by

        @tadema said:

        Mike, like others I wish more people would participate in the gallery and renew the "buzz" it once had.

        What about a dedicated gallery at gallery.sketchucation.com where you are free to upload images, add your details and vote?

        Download the free D'oh Book for SketchUp πŸ“–

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • tademaT
          tadema
          last edited by

          Hello Rich,
          We have such but it was never updated, a great amount of votes were cast which shows it's potential. The problem with a gallery is it can become elitist which needs to be avoided. IMHO we need somewhere people can post images and seek advice, a separate area for post production would help massively as PP is now such a big part of the process and often overlooked.

          Just my tuppence worth and I'm sure others (please) will have ideas/opinions to add.

          John

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • Mike AmosM
            Mike Amos
            last edited by

            When I get over the move and sorting out where things go, not a quick job going from three bed detached to one bed flat. I hope I will have time to render properly. Not being as talented as some here I tend to take longer, sometimes a hundred renders to fine tune.

            Absentia mortis praesentiam vitae probat, vita autem est argumentum constantiae.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • hellnbakH
              hellnbak
              last edited by

              John,

              Really good to see more of your mind-blowing creations. I gave up long ago trying to find some little thing to criticize in your work (to make me feel better). Just ain't there.
              You, sir, are the Master!

              Steve

              You should really make a book of your masterpieces. I know I would buy it.

              "Politicians are just like diapers -- they need to be changed often, and for the same reason"

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • pbacotP
                pbacot
                last edited by

                @tadema said:

                Hello Pilou, All the images are produced at ~ 7500 x 5000 ppi then reduced down as required, this gives a great deal of scope for printing.

                Affinity looks a good alternative to PS and the price looks fantastic. I have a subscription for PS and feel comfortable with it ATM...

                take care
                John

                A montage
                [attachment=0:2edj2c62]<!-- ia0 -->Set 01.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment:2edj2c62]

                Love all these in the montage. Just great buildings and settings, beautifully recreated!

                MacOSX MojaveSketchUp Pro v19 Twilight v2 Thea v3 PowerCADD

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • tademaT
                  tadema
                  last edited by

                  Mike, hope your settled in soon and looking forward to seeing your renderings.

                  Steve, it's your work that's sorely missing lately. Any member could benefit by studying your modeling, never seen anybody so diligent! You start posting and I'll write you a book 😎

                  Peter, I've quite a collection of these now, next I will revisit the old Charles Voysey renders from a few years ago, here's one I completed from which the quick watercolour was made from.

                  John

                  7.jpg

                  Hollybank.jpg

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • pbacotP
                    pbacot
                    last edited by

                    They've got few chimneys there!

                    MacOSX MojaveSketchUp Pro v19 Twilight v2 Thea v3 PowerCADD

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • hellnbakH
                      hellnbak
                      last edited by

                      @tadema said:

                      You start posting and I'll write you a book 😎
                      John

                      Yeah, haven't been doing much new stuff with SU lately. Been meaning to getting around to posting a batch of my one-off models, but obviously that hasn't worked out. Inertia sucks 😞

                      "Politicians are just like diapers -- they need to be changed often, and for the same reason"

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • Mike AmosM
                        Mike Amos
                        last edited by

                        Steve, I have to second John's words here. You are one of the people I look for posts from when I log in. Your models have a lot of integrity and what you export as a graphic knocks most renders into a cocked hat. I hope the inertia can be overcome but in your time not mine. Stay well doods.

                        Absentia mortis praesentiam vitae probat, vita autem est argumentum constantiae.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • R
                          rv1974
                          last edited by

                          Your frames are questionable. May be it'd be a good idea to scan some realpencil frame and overlay it in Post?

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • HornOxxH
                            HornOxx
                            last edited by

                            @hellnbak said:

                            John,

                            Really good to see more of your mind-blowing creations. ... You, sir, are the Master!
                            You should really make a book of your masterpieces...

                            πŸ‘ πŸ‘
                            ... nothing to add here πŸ˜„

                            never trust a skinny cook

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • tademaT
                              tadema
                              last edited by

                              Thank you for all the kind comments.

                              @rv1974 said:

                              Your frames are questionable. May be it'd be a good idea to scan some realpencil frame and overlay it in Post?

                              Know what I don't give 2 ff's. Show us some of yours!

                              Here's a few renders revisited from an old project I completed several years ago by the Architect Charles Voysey. There's quite a collection to come if anyone is interested.

                              Charles Voysey Montage 1400.jpg

                              John

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • TIGT
                                TIG Moderator
                                last edited by

                                Great as always...
                                Perhaps you've rendered my 2nd cousin's Vosey house ?
                                We corresponded about it ages ago...

                                TIG

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • pbacotP
                                  pbacot
                                  last edited by

                                  Beautiful. Yes I'd be VERY interested in seeing the Voysey collection. These are very illustrative and it'd be great study material, in terms of absorbing the feel and proportions of the designs. Thanks for sharing!

                                  MacOSX MojaveSketchUp Pro v19 Twilight v2 Thea v3 PowerCADD

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • hellnbakH
                                    hellnbak
                                    last edited by

                                    Hey John,

                                    How 'bout you send me copies of all the textures you have amassed for your masterpieces? Heck, if I had those I might even try some of that there architectural-type stuff (ok, probably not, I just love collecting textures πŸ˜† )

                                    Steve

                                    "Politicians are just like diapers -- they need to be changed often, and for the same reason"

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • tademaT
                                      tadema
                                      last edited by

                                      Hello TIG, I clearly remember but could find very little material at the time, sure it was only the picture you posted that was available. Let me have another look and hopefully enough info will be available.

                                      Thanks Peter, I'll finish off the others and post.

                                      Hello Steve, I have masses of textures and cutouts but use very few, my biggest mistake is keeping the lesser quality images. The way I work is to make a folder for each new render/model and keep everything in each dedicated folder, then I mostly copy textures from one project to the next as needed. A lot of repeat texture but everything is then available if I have to move or renew to a new computer.

                                      John

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • DanielD
                                        Daniel
                                        last edited by

                                        Hey John! Remember me?
                                        Fantastic images, as usual. Glad to see you're still in the game.

                                        My avatar is an anachronism.

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • alvisA
                                          alvis
                                          last edited by

                                          Beautiful.

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • HornOxxH
                                            HornOxx
                                            last edited by

                                            @tadema said:

                                            ...The way I work is to make a folder for each new render/model and keep everything in each dedicated folder, then I mostly copy textures from one project to the next as needed...

                                            πŸ‘ yes, thatΒ΄s it - I'll try it this way, to get order in my mess

                                            never trust a skinny cook

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 3
                                            • 2 / 3
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement