sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    โš ๏ธ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    MSPhysics 1.0.3 (16 October 2017)

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Plugins
    930 Posts 173 Posters 1.4m Views 174 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • robintR
      robint
      last edited by

      @anton_s said:

      Hi, Robin,

      I'm glad I could help.

      Best regards,
      Anton

      I made a simple mass/spring damper system as per model, but I get some odd results not like the damped sinusoid

      Am I on the right track or have I made some basic errors

      Also the block doesn't sit still on the plane but wanders off

      I am also having difficulty tying in the UI with real values of spring rate N/m and damping c*velocity Ns/m

      Any advice, most appreciated

      Cheers
      Robin

      BTW I looked at the Ruby docs but couldnt tie up real units to the constants


      classic spring damper

      As one door closes another one slams in your face

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • gillesG
        gilles
        last edited by

        @anton_s said:

        Hi, gilles,

        To fix that, you have to select the joint, open MSPhysics UI, and check the "connected collide" option.

        Regards,
        Anton

        Works fine ๐Ÿ‘

        A lot to dig in, I go back to the mine.

        " c'est curieux chez les marins ce besoin de faire des phrases "

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • A
          Anton_S
          last edited by

          Hi, Robin,

          The block doesn't sit still probably because you disabled the friction. Enabling the friction checkbox option for the block and for the floor contacting the block will fix the wandering off behavior.

          I will add an option to control accel and damp with the SI units in the upcoming release. At the moment, I figured that spring constant is roughly equals to (accel * 7 - damp), when spring joint stiffness is set to 1.0.

          Edit: Ensure that both anuglar and linear damping for all bodies are set to zero. This improves the closeness.

          Anton

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • robintR
            robint
            last edited by

            Hi Anton

            I'm sure I tried every way with the friction coeffs, and it didnt seem to help much, unless Im doing something wrong. If you could get real SI units into the spring damper model this would be fantastic. Classic maths leaves everything in normalised units which is really hard for students to translate into the real world - thats what MS physics is about. I try to encourage my student to abandon th suck-it-and-see approach in favour of understanding what is really happening and calculating the effect. I know that math is a real turn off for most users, but I try

            cheers Robin

            As one door closes another one slams in your face

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • robintR
              robint
              last edited by

              @anton_s said:

              Hi, Robin,

              The block doesn't sit still probably because you disabled the friction. Enabling the friction checkbox option for the block and for the floor contacting the block will fix the wandering off behavior.

              I will add an option to control accel and damp with the SI units in the upcoming release. At the moment, I figured that spring constant is roughly equals to (accel * 7 - damp), when spring joint stiffness is set to 1.0.

              Edit: Ensure that both anuglar and linear damping for all bodies are set to zero. This improves the closeness.

              Anton

              Yes indeed, improved action, I missed the friction box

              Herewith a revised model changing block mass from 0 - 0.5 kg gives a displacement of 0 - 1.0 so the spring rate is 2

              spring stiff 1 (what does this do?)
              Accel 1, damp 1.5 (gives critical damping approx)

              changing sample rate from 1/60 to 1/240 changes the whole model performance

              iterations 16 - improves stability

              the plane has a mass of 0.01kg, lowest i could get without instability

              So Ive actually got a spring damper that sort of behaves but it seems like the spring has inertial mass - an ideal spring should be zero mass and friction

              What do you think? Anything I can do to help (ruby dummy just now)

              Cheers

              Robin) ๐Ÿ˜›


              V 2

              As one door closes another one slams in your face

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • A
                Anton_S
                last edited by

                Hi, Robin,

                I just revised the spring joint to base on Hooke's law. Just need to adress a few other things before its ready for the release.

                Regards,
                Anton

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • robintR
                  robint
                  last edited by

                  @anton_s said:

                  Hi, Robin,

                  I just revised the spring joint to base on Hooke's law. Just need to adress a few other things before its ready for the release.

                  Regards,
                  Anton

                  Hi Anton

                  It occured to me loking at the motor joint, that it would be neat to have control sliders on important coeffs, of spring rate, friction, and damping, help to speed up student experience

                  BTW just seen some example in Sketchucation, blown away with the talent out there

                  Hope my little exercises aren' t too dull

                  Cheers

                  Robin

                  As one door closes another one slams in your face

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • gillesG
                    gilles
                    last edited by

                    jansen.gif

                    What am I doing wrong?


                    THEO-JANSEN2.skp

                    " c'est curieux chez les marins ce besoin de faire des phrases "

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • A
                      Anton_S
                      last edited by

                      Hi, gilles,

                      You just need to adjust motor joint properties. So, select the motor joint, open MSPhysics UI, and set Accel to 20, Damp to 10, and uncheck the Free Rotate checkbox option. This should make the motor more stronger.

                      Anton

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • gillesG
                        gilles
                        last edited by

                        Thanks Anton,

                        Very nice tool you made there.

                        theo.gif


                        THEO.skp

                        " c'est curieux chez les marins ce besoin de faire des phrases "

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • A
                          Anton_S
                          last edited by

                          Very clever, gilles!

                          I'm sure there is a way to improve performance and stiffness of that thing.

                          Anton

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • gillesG
                            gilles
                            last edited by

                            Thรฉo Jansen.

                            http://www.strandbeest.com/index.php ๐Ÿ‘

                            " c'est curieux chez les marins ce besoin de faire des phrases "

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • pilouP
                              pilou
                              last edited by

                              The peaceful robots! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

                              Frenchy Pilou
                              Is beautiful that please without concept!
                              My Little site :)

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • gillesG
                                gilles
                                last edited by

                                I had issues with MS UI: modifying values, sometimes works sometimes not. ๐Ÿ˜ก

                                Then I notice this: typing a value +enter or tab does not work. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
                                Typing a value + click outside the input box worksโ€ฆ ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

                                Just for anybody else having the same troubles.

                                MS-UI.gif

                                Mac OSX 10.8.5, SU2015.

                                " c'est curieux chez les marins ce besoin de faire des phrases "

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • A
                                  Anton_S
                                  last edited by

                                  Yeah, I'm working on that. Thanks for the report, gilles!

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • robintR
                                    robint
                                    last edited by

                                    @gilles said:

                                    I had issues with MS UI: modifying values, sometimes works sometimes not. ๐Ÿ˜ก

                                    Then I notice this: typing a value +enter or tab does not work. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
                                    Typing a value + click outside the input box worksโ€ฆ ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

                                    Just for anybody else having the same troubles.

                                    [attachment=0:3sqfwcxi]<!-- ia0 -->MS-UI.gif<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment:3sqfwcxi]

                                    Mac OSX 10.8.5, SU2015.

                                    Hi gilles

                                    I don't know if this is related but i noticed that when trying to alter friction, on cursor in window an X appears on the rhs and a new input will only be accepted after mouse over click X which blanks the window for a new entry

                                    kinda convoluted

                                    Robin

                                    As one door closes another one slams in your face

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • A
                                      Anton_S
                                      last edited by

                                      Announcing 0.9.9!

                                      This version comes with mainly an improved dialog and joints.

                                      View changelog for details: http://www.rubydoc.info/github/AntonSynytsia/MSPhysics/file/CHANGELOG.md

                                      Anton

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • S
                                        SketchyPhysicsNutt
                                        last edited by

                                        Thanks Anton for fixing the full-screen issue my animations are back to normal ๐Ÿ˜„
                                        MSPhysics 0.9.9
                                        tested on win 8.1 and sketchup 2015/2016 working fine.

                                        the new plane joint works great on single or two different planes ๐Ÿ‘

                                        thx again and merry xmas

                                        Tez

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • A
                                          Anton_S
                                          last edited by

                                          Hello, Tez,

                                          Good to hear that it's working now. And merry Christmas to you too!

                                          Best regards,
                                          Anton

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • S
                                            SketchyPhysicsNutt
                                            last edited by

                                            Sorry Anton forgot to ask u in my last post about simple OnTouch sound scripts

                                            in Sketchyphysics i just tick the OnTouch panel and use
                                            playSound('Sound1')

                                            what's the MSphysics equivalent script for Ontouch sound .....i keep getting an error?
                                            its no bug ..just me don't understand MS scripts yet.

                                            Tez

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better ๐Ÿ’—

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 24
                                            • 25
                                            • 26
                                            • 27
                                            • 28
                                            • 46
                                            • 47
                                            • 26 / 47
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement