sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    [Plugin] 3D Text Editor

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Plugins
    204 Posts 51 Posters 224.4k Views 50 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • K
      kaas
      last edited by

      ThomThom,

      If I may ask... is there a solution for V16 to prevent this plugin losing focus to SketchUp? If you run this plugin, start typing, at some point the webdialog will loose focus and you're firing keyboard shortcuts instead... This makes working with your plugin a far lesser experience.

      I described the problem already here: http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=180%26amp;t=63669 and I found a simple fix (see the same topic - 7th post) but that fix seems to only work for simple code and not for more complex tools...

      I hope you know of a better solution...

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • thomthomT
        thomthom
        last edited by

        I'm afraid that I don't know how to handle the focus change in SU2016. I know they are looking at it internally, but I don't know what might change.

        Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
        List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • C
          caronte01
          last edited by

          HI Thomthom,

          I've used this plugin a lot, and really really like it. It should replace the default text tool in sketchup. Thank you!

          I've been doing some 3d laser cutting lately, and have been using a lot of "engraving" fonts such as this one:
          http://www.ffonts.net/Machine-Tool-Gothic.font . The preview in windows font viewer is horrible, but in sketchup they work just fine. If I understand correctly, ttf fonts have to be closed shapes, but that makes for an ineffective engraving/cutting font.

          I usually create the text and then explode it/edit it to remove the last segment, so I get single line fonts. This is fine, but makes the text non editable after this. Is it possible to have an option in your plugin to use these kind of fonts and not close the loops / draw the last segment.

          Again, thanks a lot for all your work!

          Santiago

          engraving text.jpg

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • thomthomT
            thomthom
            last edited by

            The extension has very little control over how the text is drawn - it's all done by SketchUp.

            But there is an option to fill or not fill;


            2016-08-24_22h58_50.png

            Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
            List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • C
              caronte01
              last edited by

              Hi Thomthom,

              thanks for the reply.

              Yes, but that option only removes the polygon, the lines are all drawn with or without filled polygon.

              So if I understand, text is created by sketchup directly, not by your plugin. What your plugin does is in a way, control the native sketchup 3d text tool, and keep a reference of the text content, so it can be changed afterwards.

              Not easy to change I guess, or, it should be changed directly in sketchup's core.

              02.jpg

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • thomthomT
                thomthom
                last edited by

                Yes, it keeps track of the text and create it using a single API method: http://ruby.sketchup.com/Sketchup/Entities.html#add_3d_text-instance_method

                It's the UI that's the most complicated part of it - which isn't that complicated by itself.

                Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • thomthomT
                  thomthom
                  last edited by

                  Version 1.2.0

                  This version should be more reliable in getting the list of system fonts. I require update TT_Lib, version 2.11 or newer.

                  Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                  List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • Bob JamesB
                    Bob James
                    last edited by

                    I cannot find TT_Lib2 listed in SketchUcation Store

                    i7-4930K 3.4Ghz, 2x GTX780 6GB, 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 500GB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro, X-keys XK-60

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • TIGT
                      TIG Moderator
                      last edited by

                      @bob james said:

                      I cannot find TT_Lib2 listed in SketchUcation Store

                      Do a less rigid search [no '2']:
                      https://sketchucation.com/pluginstore?pln=TT_Lib

                      TIG

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • J
                        j_fiore
                        last edited by

                        Hi Thomas,

                        I have downloaded this plugin and will be using it on a regular bases. It works great for me so far. Thanks for putting it out there.

                        I have 2 requests for a future version if you are planning on developing this further:

                        1. A dropdown (or similar) that allows users to choose the layer for the text to be placed on in the context menu. For example, if I want to keep all my text on a layer called "Labels". I know I can do it now by double clicking on the text, highlighting all lines, and putting them on the correct layer. Choosing the layer from the context menu would be a real time saver.

                        2. I don't know if it is even possible, but I was wondering if there could be a way to have the 3D text auto-fill based on a dynamic component attribute. Maybe something along the lines of the user making a custom attribute called "3D_Text_Input" at the top level of a component, and inserting a 3D text object into the dynamic component as a child component. Then the text field in the context menu for your plugin could automatically retrieve the input via a "=parent!3D_Text_Input" command (or similar). This feature could be turned on or off via a checkbox in the context menu. I would be willing to pay for this functionality because it would save me so much time, but it doesn't exist in any plugin that I am aware of.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • A
                          Aroundthebend
                          last edited by

                          Hi ThomThom, I'm having problems with 3D Text Editor. If I create some text using this Plugin then rotate it I get problems editing it! After I select 'Edit Text' the text rotates back to it's original orientation!?

                          I'm using SketchUp Pro 2016 on a Mac OS X 10.11.06.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • J
                            Jorgensen
                            last edited by

                            @aroundthebend said:

                            Hi ThomThom, I'm having problems with 3D Text Editor. If I create some text using this Plugin then rotate it I get problems editing it! After I select 'Edit Text' the text rotates back to it's original orientation!?

                            I'm using SketchUp Pro 2016 on a Mac OS X 10.11.06.

                            I'm having the same issue - not a big deal but it would be nice not to need to rotate in place after edit.

                            jorgensen

                            sketchup pro 2016 16.1.1449 64 bit | windows 10 pro | i7-3770k @3.5 GHz | 16gb ram | gtx 780 ti / gtx 980 ti | nvidia driver 368.39

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • atelierpaarA
                              atelierpaar
                              last edited by

                              Hello and good morning,
                              After intalling 3D Text Editor in SU 2019 I cant find the plugin
                              Is it me or SU 2019 ??
                              thanks for looking into it
                              Uli

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • Dave RD
                                Dave R
                                last edited by

                                Did you look in the Draw menu? Make sure you have installed the most recent version and also the latest TT_Lib2 installed.

                                Etaoin Shrdlu

                                %

                                (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                                G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                                M30

                                %

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • atelierpaarA
                                  atelierpaar
                                  last edited by

                                  ok that was it !!
                                  the draw menue ist the thing to look for,
                                  thanks for your advice
                                  Uli

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • Dave RD
                                    Dave R
                                    last edited by

                                    @atelierpaar said:

                                    ok that was it !!
                                    the draw menue ist the thing to look for,
                                    thanks for your advice
                                    Uli

                                    Happy that took care of it. 👍

                                    Etaoin Shrdlu

                                    %

                                    (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                                    G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                                    M30

                                    %

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • P
                                      pierrearchi26
                                      last edited by

                                      hello ThomThom,

                                      I'm trying to use the plugin to import Sketchup dimensions lines into Sketchfab which is a well known big problem (if you don't use a picture for it)... I use the plugin to create the 2d dimension line value ... but i need the line ... maybe a possible improvement of the 3d text editor plugin ?

                                      Thank you.

                                      Sketchfab discussion : https://forum.sketchfab.com/t/dimensions-on-a-3d-model/5480

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • Dave RD
                                        Dave R
                                        last edited by

                                        @pierrearchi26 said:

                                        I'm trying to use the plugin to import Sketchup dimensions lines into Sketchfab

                                        What version of SketchUp are you using? Please complete your profile as that information helps us help you.

                                        If you are going to the trouble of adding dimensions as 3D text, why not make a dimension line component that you can insert?

                                        Personally if I'm going to download a 3D model to use as a plan, I wouldn't want all the dimensions as 3D geometry. That would just bloat the file without providing much benefit.

                                        Etaoin Shrdlu

                                        %

                                        (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                                        G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                                        M30

                                        %

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • E
                                          Einstein
                                          last edited by

                                          I noticed that SketchUp creates 3D text with very low precision. I mean, letters' curvature are made up with very low number of segments, and they look quite jaggy when you zoom in.
                                          I guess Editable 3D Text uses the same methods for text generation so it also looks jagged but I thought: maybe it would be possible to generate text with more precision?

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • onidarbeO
                                            onidarbe
                                            last edited by

                                            For some reason it only shows a red cross where you click until selecting an other tool.

                                            So the pop-up to enter or edit the 3D text doesn't show up anymore in Sketchup 2019 😞

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 7
                                            • 8
                                            • 9
                                            • 10
                                            • 11
                                            • 9 / 11
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement