sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Toggle hide rest of model while editing components

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Discussions
    sketchup
    19 Posts 10 Posters 35.1k Views 10 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • pbacotP
      pbacot
      last edited by

      @maxhouserocks said:

      NEVERMIND! Problem solved.

      Although it does not say "toggle" in the command, setting the [View > Component Edit > Hide Rest of Model] does indeed toggle on/off. Sorry i missed that but its worth noting.

      Thanks,
      Bob

      Been toggling this for years. Don't know how to do without this. Half the time a reference to the rest of the model is needed in editing a component. Other times you really want the view clear. Often both during a single editing session.

      MacOSX MojaveSketchUp Pro v19 Twilight v2 Thea v3 PowerCADD

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • maxhouserocksM
        maxhouserocks
        last edited by

        yep. Its odd that they don't list it as a toggle in the menu. SOOOO glad it works!

        Bob

        Robert A. Christman
        http://rachristman.blogspot.com/

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • ntxdaveN
          ntxdave
          last edited by

          @calstock said:

          I'm not sure when this was added to Sketchup but certainly in the SU 2015 Pro I'm using you just select keyboard shortcut "X" to toggle between seeing or hiding the rest of the model when editing a group or component.

          Maybe I am doing something wrong but I have not been able to get this to work...sure would like to though.

          Press F1...thank me later

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • pbacotP
            pbacot
            last edited by

            @ntxdave said:

            @calstock said:

            I'm not sure when this was added to Sketchup but certainly in the SU 2015 Pro I'm using you just select keyboard shortcut "X" to toggle between seeing or hiding the rest of the model when editing a group or component.

            Maybe I am doing something wrong but I have not been able to get this to work...sure would like to though.

            First enter (double-click) a component in order to edit it. Then open Preferences and the Shortcuts TAB. Scroll to "View" menu shortcuts and set a key combination under the appropriate command "Component Edit /Hide rest of model" Were you able to do that?

            MacOSX MojaveSketchUp Pro v19 Twilight v2 Thea v3 PowerCADD

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • C
              Calstock
              last edited by

              @ntxdave said:

              @calstock said:

              I'm not sure when this was added to Sketchup but certainly in the SU 2015 Pro I'm using you just select keyboard shortcut "X" to toggle between seeing or hiding the rest of the model when editing a group or component.

              Maybe I am doing something wrong but I have not been able to get this to work...sure would like to though.


              Hide model.jpg

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • ntxdaveN
                ntxdave
                last edited by

                @calstock said:

                @ntxdave said:

                @calstock said:

                I'm not sure when this was added to Sketchup but certainly in the SU 2015 Pro I'm using you just select keyboard shortcut "X" to toggle between seeing or hiding the rest of the model when editing a group or component.

                Maybe I am doing something wrong but I have not been able to get this to work...sure would like to though.

                When I went there, the X was not assigned as a shortcut. I did create my own shortcut though. I thought from the previous message that it was assigned by default. Sorry for any confusion I might have created. All is well for me.

                Press F1...thank me later

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • TIGT
                  TIG Moderator
                  last edited by

                  Personally I avoid a bare X as a shortcut, because I usually type x10 to make 10 copies [I know 10x and *10 etc will work too !]
                  I use Alt-X for X-ray mode ON/OFF and Ctrl+X is fixed as Edit-CUT.

                  I Use Ctrl+H to toggle-hide rest-of-model ON/OFF
                  I also use Ctril+Shift+H to toggle-hide similar-components ON/OFF
                  But whatever floats your boat...

                  TIG

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • maxhouserocksM
                    maxhouserocks
                    last edited by

                    Great point to mention TIG. I made the mistake of binding X as a shortcut and realized the error of my ways when trying to make multiple copies later on.

                    I recommend NEVER using X as a shortcut! πŸ˜‰

                    Robert A. Christman
                    http://rachristman.blogspot.com/

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • C
                      Calstock
                      last edited by

                      Are you both saying when you type 10X you get the model disappearing as well, (if X is assigned to that task) ? I may have misled people slightly because I think I may have assigned the letter myself last year having seen the tip somewhere, (rather than it being default), but I use the 10X method extensively and X for show/hide and have never had a problem. Still like Tig says, assign whatever suits you best.

                      A similar one for me is I use H to hide the toolbar windows and I can't remember whether that's a default setting either. That's the thing with Sketchup, it's so customisable, (which is a good thing), you end up forgetting what you've customised and what the program did out of the box after a while !

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • maxhouserocksM
                        maxhouserocks
                        last edited by

                        Well Well, calstock! Thanks for specifying that here.

                        It turns out i have always typed in "x10" to make multiple copies not knowing that "10x" will work the same way.

                        AWESOME!

                        BTW, decided to look for a utility to PRINT my shortcuts and found this old one. works well. plan to pay more attention and make more shortcuts.

                        printkeys.rb
                        https://sites.google.com/site/jimfoltz/my-sketchup-plugins/print-shortcuts

                        Robert A. Christman
                        http://rachristman.blogspot.com/

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1 / 1
                        • First post
                          Last post
                        Buy SketchPlus
                        Buy SUbD
                        Buy WrapR
                        Buy eBook
                        Buy Modelur
                        Buy Vertex Tools
                        Buy SketchCuisine
                        Buy FormFonts

                        Advertisement