sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    [Poll] Do you have Internet Explorer 8 installed?

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Discussions
    sketchup
    14 Posts 9 Posters 1.6k Views 9 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • jim smithJ
      jim smith
      last edited by

      I have IE 8 on my laptop with Vista and no problems with any of my software including Acad and SU.

      At the office I have IE 7 and XP.

      Can't see much difference but I don't use all the little gimmicks they added on to it. It is just a browser,not a way of life as I think they seem to be heading.

      "Out of clutter find simplicity,
      from discord find harmony,
      In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity"
      Albert Einstein

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • thomthomT
        thomthom
        last edited by

        @unknownuser said:

        At the office I have IE 7 and XP.

        Offices are my main concerns, as they are usually slow to roll out updates. And even blocks automatic updates of IE...

        Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
        List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • S
          Sir
          last edited by

          i still use 6, but opera as my main browser

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • thomthomT
            thomthom
            last edited by

            Not that concerned about the browser people actually use. Just what IE version is installed.
            Why do people not update their Internet Explorer? (Even if you don't use it, it's a platform which other software products build upon.)

            Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
            List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • GaieusG
              Gaieus
              last edited by

              @thomthom said:

              Why do people not update their Internet Explorer? (Even if you don't use it, it's a platform which other software products build upon.)

              Because they don't use it therefore don't care. Don't expect everybody to be that "conscious" about IE being a "platform". Actually, I even hate apps that somehow deliberately launch IE even if it only should be a website they want to open for you.

              And yes,I know SU uses IE for its webdialogs (although I could imagine a built in, "stripped down to the purpose" browser - say the Chrome engine - which would probably be easier to handle because you know what to expect)

              Gai...

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • thomthomT
                thomthom
                last edited by

                @gaieus said:

                Because they don't use it therefore don't care. Don't expect everybody to be that "conscious" about IE being a "platform". Actually, I even hate apps that somehow deliberately launch IE even if it only should be a website they want to open for you.

                IE updates with automatic updates. So it has to be a deliberate decision to ignore it.

                @gaieus said:

                And yes,I know SU uses IE for its webdialogs (although I could imagine a built in, "stripped down to the purpose" browser - say the Chrome engine - which would probably be easier to handle because you know what to expect)

                The Gecko (Mozilla) engine also exist as embedded version. Which SU used that...

                Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • M
                  mut
                  last edited by

                  I hate browserquirks.
                  I hate ie6.

                  the sooner everyone is using firefox/chrome the better!

                  (although ie8 isnt sooo bad)

                  http://www.StairBox.com We make stairs... easy

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • GaieusG
                    Gaieus
                    last edited by

                    @thomthom said:

                    IE updates with automatic updates. So it has to be a deliberate decision to ignore it.

                    I know but I also choose MS not to update everything automatically. And in a corporate environment it is most probably disabled anyway.

                    @mut said:

                    the sooner everyone is using firefox/chrome the better!

                    That's OK but the applications (like SU) will continue using IE as it is installed on every Windows version by default and a 3rd party app (like SU) cannot rely on the users' preferences whether installing FF or others.

                    Gai...

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • K
                      kwistenbiebel
                      last edited by

                      I am using Firefox with the 'NoScript' plugin.

                      Never had security issues again after trashing Iexplorer .

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • thomthomT
                        thomthom
                        last edited by

                        @kwistenbiebel said:

                        I am using Firefox with the 'NoScript' plugin.

                        Again; it's not what browser you use, is what IE version you have installed. It's in concern to developing plugins with webdialogs - they uses the IE engine.

                        Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                        List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • Wo3DanW
                          Wo3Dan
                          last edited by

                          IE8 installed.
                          (And that's the one I'm using, if I may say so)

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0

                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                          Register Login
                          • 1 / 1
                          • First post
                            Last post
                          Buy SketchPlus
                          Buy SUbD
                          Buy WrapR
                          Buy eBook
                          Buy Modelur
                          Buy Vertex Tools
                          Buy SketchCuisine
                          Buy FormFonts

                          Advertisement