sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    A Welcome Message to New SketchUcation Members

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Newbie Forum
    sketchup
    1.4k Posts 667 Posters 1.2m Views 667 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • GaieusG
      Gaieus
      last edited by

      Welcome, Pedro!

      Kerkythea is indeed a fine renderer - quite a lot of member use it here, too. See you in the Gallery soon!
      πŸ˜„

      Gai...

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • H
        habitables
        last edited by

        Hi everyone! Many thanks for this great forum! Great place to share/learn information. I've been using SketchUp for about 4 years now, and it really is a superb tool.

        I'm a practising architect (and a blogger) and I just wanted to introduce myself. I hope to be using this forum lots in the future, both to learn and to inform!

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • kramichaelK
          kramichael
          last edited by

          I thought I would put this here since I am and always will be a newbie + this is a setting problem that was discussed in this list earlier. Hope it helps.

          I was having problems with Orbit and my scroll wheel button on my Logitech MX 1100. I did a palm/face when I finally figured it out. If you're having troubles go into your System Preferences window at the bottom should be a row called Others. Open up the setting window for this mouse, select 'click' for scroll wheel button and them configure the click to 'Middle Click'. Simple as that.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • P
            pedro500
            last edited by

            Hello,thank you for the welcome Ive been learning sketchup for a couple of weeks now and find it great for drawing up engineering components as I dont think I could manage something like cad,by the way can you export from sketchup to a cad program,thanks again Pedro

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • GaieusG
              Gaieus
              last edited by

              Hi Pedro and welcome. There are a couple of engineers here so you will have a good companion.

              Gai...

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • T
                TimH
                last edited by

                I have used Sketchup now for a few months, it really helps fill a gap in house design, especially about irregular feature proximity issues, like second story windows on inset walls conflicting with sloping roofs on porches below; and irregular stairways with features underneath . . . some clients need that extra edge of visualization. I gave away a thousand dollar drafting app several years ago just to get it out of my life, it was so riddled with bugs. Was working without 3D since then; along came Sketchup Yay!

                Sketchup worked way better for me since I learned to use components on layers. Due to Sketchup's "sticky geometry" when I moved anything it would shift the whole model slightly out of "true" without me noticing. Gradually older models would become unstable and erratic, eventually crashing becoming useless. Thanks Eli in Alaska for straightening me out on that. Looking forward to putting some bridges on the G MAP.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • R
                  Riveteer
                  last edited by

                  Ok, first post so here it goes.

                  I have been using sketchup for a while now, (since sketchup 5)and I have made a lot of models and posted them on 3d warehouse. I'm joining this forum now because I would like to move to the next level of of modeling and also take advantage of some of the plugins exclusive to this site.

                  First question... I downloaded this plugin called [bs]Make Faces v1.2[/b] I have an idea of what it does but I'm having trouble implementing it on other then 2d lines. Is it possible to use this plugin on 3D lines ? If not is there a plugin that does what Make Faces does only in 3D.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • TIGT
                    TIG Moderator
                    last edited by

                    @riveteer said:

                    Ok, first post so here it goes.
                    I have been using Sketchup for a while now, (since Sketchup 5)and I have made a lot of models and posted them on 3d-warehouse. I'm joining this forum now because I would like to move to the next level of of modeling and also take advantage of some of the plugins exclusive to this site.
                    First question... I downloaded this plugin called Make Faces v1.2 I have an idea of what it does but I'm having trouble implementing it on other then 2d lines. Is it possible to use this plugin on 3D lines ? If not is there a plugin that does what Make Faces does only in 3D.

                    'Make Faces' only works if the selected edge had connected edges that are coplanar and could therefore make a face.
                    If you have '3D' lines you need additional edges between vertices to make triangular shapes which could take a face - in fact the act of drawing them in will usually result in Sketchup adding the face for you if it can.
                    To add faces in a 'mesh' linking 3D lines you could find and try Fredo's 'CurviLoft' script that's in beta, or my set of scripts zipped as the 'Extrusion Tools' - there are several tools but 'ExtrudeEdgesByRails.rb' would probably do what you want - just make 2, 3 or 4 curves from the edges [use 'weld.rb' for this] and use them as profiles/rails and they will get a mesh applied...SimpleEEbyRailsMeshV8.PNG

                    TIG

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • R
                      Riveteer
                      last edited by

                      I get what make faces does now thanks Tig. I have also been manually drawing those triangles to make curved faces for a while now. I recently watched a speed modeling video on youtube and I swear, I saw the guy select some lines (that connected) and just push a button, and it made a meshed face.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • J
                        jimi james
                        last edited by

                        I've decided to finally stop lurking and join in. I've met a few members around the web at different places, like SFM & Deviant Art, so hello to them and everyone else as well.

                        I've been using Sketchup for almost a year now....wow, has it really been that long. I guess it has. Man, time flies when you're modeling.

                        Anyway, I wanted to learn 3d (cheaply) for a an original universe sci-fi project I'm working on and I've been really impressed by some of the results I've seen with Sketchup so I decided to jump in with both feet. I was really surprised by how easy it was to pick up, however with that being said, I realize I still have much to learn. I really enjoy it though so it's all good.

                        I'll be posting some work in the gallery shortly. See you around the forum.


                        The New Haven Chronicles

                        "And we will fight." -- Secretary General Alvaro Masai

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • G
                          GoldenFrog
                          last edited by

                          Lookin' forward to seeing some of your stuff Jimi!

                          Remember, great minds think alike, and fools never differ.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • T
                            tonyone_06
                            last edited by

                            Iβ€˜m a newbie and I 'm not a native english speaker.Just love designd and sketchup,i'm here.Thank you.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • GaieusG
                              Gaieus
                              last edited by

                              Hi Tony and welcome. I am not a native English speaker myself and - well, I also (and still) rememberbeing a newbie.
                              πŸ˜‰

                              Gai...

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • soloS
                                solo
                                last edited by

                                He may not be a native English speaker, but Csaba can snore in many languages very fluently.

                                http://www.solos-art.com

                                If you see a toilet in your dreams do not use it.

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • GaieusG
                                  Gaieus
                                  last edited by

                                  Indeed. And you have not even heard me after I eat beans!
                                  πŸ˜’

                                  Gai...

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • soloS
                                    solo
                                    last edited by

                                    Stereo? with aroma?

                                    http://www.solos-art.com

                                    If you see a toilet in your dreams do not use it.

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • D
                                      Doncol
                                      last edited by

                                      Hi to you all, intereior designer by trade. Im relatively new to sketchup. I am used to using Solidworks. In that, you can create a plane to sketch on using a plane tool. Is there anything in sketchup that would do that ie a plugin. I find it awkward sketching to draw. This would help immensely. Thanks for listening and big thumbs up if you reply with a viable solution.

                                      Col

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • GaieusG
                                        Gaieus
                                        last edited by

                                        Hi Colin and welcome!

                                        In SU, you do not (necessarily) need a plane to sketch on. If you are drawing looking down (top view), SU will automatically draw your 2d sketches on the red/green plane.

                                        However you can always draw a big enough rectangle and sketch on that if it feels more comfortable that way.

                                        Gai...

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • I
                                          inkster
                                          last edited by

                                          just checking -

                                          ive been using su for a total of about 45 minutes now πŸ˜† (but i managed to get some images out for a presentation) πŸ‘

                                          actually i learned 3d on alias wavefront back when dinosaurs roamed the earth but it was so cumbersome and pricey that i bailed before i ever became proficient at it. my background is in custom metal work and ive run into a plethora of issues right off the bat but its very promising overall, just need to take the time to learn (or unlearn) and get a rhythm going to the work flow.

                                          i currently have 2d dxf to G code to a cnc cutter then on the brake presses and such to bend it all up -

                                          what im missing is the ability to sketch up concepts, narrow them down, and then plug them into my current process. i noticed a "folding" plug in - not sure if it applies, material thickness is a big factor in steel.

                                          anyways, thanks in advance πŸ’š

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • GaieusG
                                            Gaieus
                                            last edited by

                                            Hi inkster and welcome. If you work with metal, maybe you will find some of these plugins useful:
                                            http://www.drawmetal.com/

                                            Gai...

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 69
                                            • 70
                                            • 71
                                            • 72
                                            • 73
                                            • 73 / 73
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement