sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Ack, help! Windows 10 - SU menu freezing

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Bug Reporting
    sketchup
    8 Posts 4 Posters 7.1k Views 4 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • andybotA
      andybot
      last edited by

      I am not sure what happened from one day to the next, probably some windows 10 update, but My Sketchup (version 2018) freezes whenever I go to the main menus. For example, I try to click on the file menu and SU freezes and the CPU usage goes to 100% on that thread and SU hangs. I can click on tool buttons, it's just the top menu. Anyone run into this? I have not changed graphics drivers in nearly a month (I have the latest Nvidia Studio driver installed.) I've done all the simple things I could think of - repair the SU installation, uninstall Enscape in case it was that. Restarted many times. I'm stuck.

      http://charlottesvillearchitecturalrendering.com/

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • Rich O BrienR
        Rich O Brien Moderator
        last edited by

        Is Windows Game Bar or nVidia's GeForce In-game overlay running?

        Either of these can think SU is a game and keep your last one minute or so of activity in ram.

        I only noticed nVidia when I assigned ALT+Z as shortcut in SU and the nVidia overlay popped up.

        Download the free D'oh Book for SketchUp πŸ“–

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • andybotA
          andybot
          last edited by

          No - that's not it. I got that a few weeks back too, and disabled it right away. Thanks though.

          I wonder if there would be any difference between SU versions, if 2020 or 2021 would behave differently. If I get frustrated enough, I might try the newer version of SU.

          I'm using a backup computer at the moment, so I may just wait a while and see if there's some Windows or driver update that fixes things back.

          http://charlottesvillearchitecturalrendering.com/

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • andybotA
            andybot
            last edited by

            Ugh, fine! So SU2018 does not play nice with the latest Windows 10 updates. I went ahead and installed SU2021 without a hitch.

            Thank you Sketchucation for the toolbar so migrating my plugins was greatly eased!

            http://charlottesvillearchitecturalrendering.com/

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • Rich O BrienR
              Rich O Brien Moderator
              last edited by

              Great!

              I still get massive freezes in SU2021. Hope you don't too.

              Download the free D'oh Book for SketchUp πŸ“–

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • andybotA
                andybot
                last edited by

                uh oh, I hope not. So far so good, fingers crossed.

                http://charlottesvillearchitecturalrendering.com/

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • G
                  Glenn at home
                  last edited by

                  SU Pro 2021 v21.1.332
                  Windows 10 Pro v 20H2 build 19042.1288
                  Smooth as silk on my end, no issues at all.

                  SketchUp Pro 2025/2026 Dell XPS 8950 i9-12900K 64GB Ram RTX 3080

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • S
                    smithclarkson02
                    last edited by

                    uh oh, I hope not. So far so good, fingers crossed.

                    thats true indeed. VidMate App Spice Money Login MIS Webmail

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0

                    Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                    Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                    With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                    Register Login
                    • 1 / 1
                    • First post
                      Last post
                    Buy SketchPlus
                    Buy SUbD
                    Buy WrapR
                    Buy eBook
                    Buy Modelur
                    Buy Vertex Tools
                    Buy SketchCuisine
                    Buy FormFonts

                    Advertisement