sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Tutorial: Model in SketchUp, Realtime Render in Blender

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Discussions
    sketchup
    18 Posts 7 Posters 5.1k Views 7 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • R
      rv1974
      last edited by

      What happens to Evee when it hits the glass ceiling of video card memory limit?
      Currently my average RAM usage (in architectural exteriors) is about 25-40Gb of RAM. The average video card is only 6-12

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • chippwaltersC
        chippwalters
        last edited by

        @rv1974 said:

        What happens to Evee when it hits the glass ceiling of video card memory limit?
        Currently my average RAM usage (in architectural exteriors) is about 25-40Gb of RAM. The average video card is only 6-12

        In my video series, I go over how to optimize your video memory by using a custom streamlined shader which uses significantly less memory than the custom advanced shader.

        Furthermore, Blender 2.8 can use both GPU and CPU to render a scene, so if you don't have enough video, you can automatically render in CPU mode, albeit a lot slower.

        Currently working with Cross-Reality technologies

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • majidM
          majid
          last edited by

          More than happy to be involved please and may Gosh bless you!

          My inspiring A, B, Sketches book: https://sketchucation.com/shop/books/intermediate/2612-alphabet-inspired-sketches--inspiring-drills-for-architects--3d-artists-and-designers-

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • R
            rv1974
            last edited by

            My question was about Eevee. From what I understood it's a GPU only engine (not supporting multiple cards rig). So when the memory limit will be reached, will it crash/freeze or give an error pop-up?

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • soloS
              solo
              last edited by

              Does EEVEE use multiple GPU's?

              http://www.solos-art.com

              If you see a toilet in your dreams do not use it.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • chippwaltersC
                chippwalters
                last edited by

                @majid said:

                More than happy to be involved please and may Gosh bless you!

                Hi majid! Please email me at chippATchipp.com (replace AT with @). Look forward to working with you. πŸ˜„

                Currently working with Cross-Reality technologies

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • chippwaltersC
                  chippwalters
                  last edited by

                  @rv1974 said:

                  My question was about Eevee. From what I understood it's a GPU only engine (not supporting multiple cards rig). So when the memory limit will be reached, will it crash/freeze or give an error pop-up?

                  EEVEE will render with GPU and/or CPU. It uses OpenGL. I believe if you reach the texture memory limit of your GPU it will automatically render on the CPU (slower of course). My tutorial series covers this and I provide a efficient material shader and one that is more advanced as well.

                  Currently working with Cross-Reality technologies

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • majidM
                    majid
                    last edited by

                    I am reviving all I know on Blender with new UI, and let me say miles way easier to work with comparing to previous version ...

                    My inspiring A, B, Sketches book: https://sketchucation.com/shop/books/intermediate/2612-alphabet-inspired-sketches--inspiring-drills-for-architects--3d-artists-and-designers-

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • chippwaltersC
                      chippwalters
                      last edited by

                      @rv1974 said:

                      https://devtalk.blender.org/t/is-will-eevee-support-multi-gpu/625
                      [url]https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/110142/eevee-seem-not-to-benefit-from-multiple-gpus-for-rendering
                      [/url]
                      No multiple GPUs for Eevee. Are they wrong?

                      Wow. Really good catch! I just assumed that because cycles supported multiple gpus then Eevee did also. Thanks for the correction. Here's another link I found on the subject.

                      Just a moment...

                      favicon

                      (blender.stackexchange.com)

                      Currently working with Cross-Reality technologies

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • chippwaltersC
                        chippwalters
                        last edited by

                        @majid said:

                        I am reviving all I know on Blender with new UI, and let me say miles way easier to work with comparing to previous version ...
                        Yep, Blender 2.8 is a game changer.

                        Currently working with Cross-Reality technologies

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • R
                          rv1974
                          last edited by

                          https://devtalk.blender.org/t/is-will-eevee-support-multi-gpu/625
                          https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/110142/eevee-seem-not-to-benefit-from-multiple-gpus-for-rendering
                          No multiple GPUs for Eevee. Are they wrong?

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • chippwaltersC
                            chippwalters
                            last edited by

                            @solo said:

                            Does EEVEE use multiple GPU's?

                            Absolutely. In fact, a GPU (or two) is highly recommended.


                            It can even use the new RTX series from Nvidia.

                            EDIT: Correction: While Cycles benefits from multiple GPUs, it appears EEVEE does not. Furthermore, it's not clear whether or not EEVEE takes advantage of the new RTX cards yet (Cyles does).

                            Currently working with Cross-Reality technologies

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • G
                              Glenn at home
                              last edited by

                              @majid said:

                              I am reviving all I know on Blender with new UI, and let me say miles way easier to work with comparing to previous version ...

                              Yes it is. It's like a breath of fresh air πŸ˜‰

                              SketchUp Pro 2025/2026 Dell XPS 8950 i9-12900K 64GB Ram RTX 3080

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • Mike AmosM
                                Mike Amos
                                last edited by

                                When will Blender 2.8 be released? All I have found out so far is that release is delayed.

                                Absentia mortis praesentiam vitae probat, vita autem est argumentum constantiae.

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • Bryan KB
                                  Bryan K
                                  last edited by

                                  Yes, I am interested in testing as well.

                                  See my portfolio at https://delphiscousin.blogspot.com/

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • soloS
                                    solo
                                    last edited by

                                    @mike amos said:

                                    When will Blender 2.8 be released? All I have found out so far is that release is delayed.

                                    Link Preview Image
                                    Blender Builds - blender.org

                                    Continuous build delivery with the latest features and fixes. Use at your own risk!

                                    favicon

                                    Blender Builds - blender.org (builder.blender.org)

                                    http://www.solos-art.com

                                    If you see a toilet in your dreams do not use it.

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • chippwaltersC
                                      chippwalters
                                      last edited by

                                      @mike amos said:

                                      When will Blender 2.8 be released? All I have found out so far is that release is delayed.

                                      I'm hearing sometime in Q2-2019..BUT there many people are now using it since it's been in BETA. Beta typically means all the features are locked down but there may still be bugs. I've been using it for a few months now and it's pretty darn robust. As Pete says, you can download it now.

                                      Regarding DL'ing of Blender 2.8. You should consider updating your download every couple of weeks. I know this sounds silly, but it's pretty amazing how robust the daily builds are. I've yet to have to 'revert' to an older version, and I've been doing this for both 2.79 and 2.8 for quite some time now.

                                      Currently working with Cross-Reality technologies

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0

                                      Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                      Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                      With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                      Register Login
                                      • 1 / 1
                                      • First post
                                        Last post
                                      Buy SketchPlus
                                      Buy SUbD
                                      Buy WrapR
                                      Buy eBook
                                      Buy Modelur
                                      Buy Vertex Tools
                                      Buy SketchCuisine
                                      Buy FormFonts

                                      Advertisement