sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    An odd solid conundrum.

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Discussions
    sketchup
    11 Posts 5 Posters 647 Views 5 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • BoxB
      Box
      last edited by

      I was doodling away testing some plugins and randomly created this shape.
      I noticed it was a solid, yet it seems to somehow defy a few of the rules of a solid.
      It just struck me as odd and I was wondering if anyone might have an explanation for it.
      It's of no real importance but it seems like a flaw in the logic of the software, and could have an impact of sorts when trying to make things for 3d printing.


      Odd Solid1.skp


      Odd.JPG

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • Dave RD
        Dave R
        last edited by

        Interesting, indeed. Is it because of the lack of intersections between faces?

        Etaoin Shrdlu

        %

        (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

        G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

        M30

        %

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • BoxB
          Box
          last edited by

          I guess so, it's sort of folded over on itself or extruded through itself. If you intersect it it obviously loses it's solidity.
          The model is there if you want to look for yourself.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • Rich O BrienR
            Rich O Brien Moderator
            last edited by

            Similar to how a curve can be straight.

            Sometimes reality clashes with logic and chaos ensues.

            There's a name for this result and I can't think of it.

            I know of tools in MeshLab that highlight these [unknown name] errors and flag them.

            Hopefully it will come to me.

            I do know that scanning for this is referred to mesh linting.

            Download the free D'oh Book for SketchUp πŸ“–

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • pilouP
              pilou
              last edited by

              Maybe because the self intersection is not take in count as you can see on some of no blue edges!

              Frenchy Pilou
              Is beautiful that please without concept!
              My Little site :)

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • BoxB
                Box
                last edited by

                Thanks for that Rich, I's good to know it's not an unheard of anomaly.
                And as an added bonus, having googled mesh linting I now know everything you never wanted to know about clothes dryers and the people who live in them.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • BoxB
                  Box
                  last edited by

                  It's like the old tree falls and nobody there to hear it bollocks.
                  If a solid passes through itself is it really a solid.
                  It's easy to reproduce and it's doing my head in.


                  Solid.JPG


                  Solid Twist.JPG

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • Rich O BrienR
                    Rich O Brien Moderator
                    last edited by

                    The volume mesh is solid because the app considers it manifold.

                    Even though it is physically wrong it is programmatically correct to SU.

                    Unprintable but solid until you intersect and clean.

                    Faces are infinitely thin

                    Download the free D'oh Book for SketchUp πŸ“–

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • BoxB
                      Box
                      last edited by

                      Yeah I know what you mean Rich but it still drives me nuts.
                      Even with thickness it is solid.
                      Thickness.JPG

                      And here it is cleaned up and vaguely printable, why on earth anyone would want to I don't know. But it was an interesting exercise in working through the logic of virtual solids and real solids.


                      Printable.JPG

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • TIGT
                        TIG Moderator
                        last edited by

                        You've [re]invented a sort of 'Klein Bottle' - a topological nightmare !
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klein_bottle

                        Like a 3d Mobius strip ! - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B6bius_strip

                        😲

                        TIG

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • BoxB
                          Box
                          last edited by

                          Excellent, Thanks Tig, never seen the Klein before.

                          Also the shape I made is not dissimilar to a volute I think.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0

                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                          With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                          Register Login
                          • 1 / 1
                          • First post
                            Last post
                          Buy SketchPlus
                          Buy SUbD
                          Buy WrapR
                          Buy eBook
                          Buy Modelur
                          Buy Vertex Tools
                          Buy SketchCuisine
                          Buy FormFonts

                          Advertisement