sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    ?Moving from command?

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Newbie Forum
    sketchup
    18 Posts 8 Posters 1.2k Views 8 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • Wo3DanW
      Wo3Dan
      last edited by

      @tig said:

      .... But you can do it other ways...

      For example...
      Activate the Line tool.
      Hover the cursor over the reference point - do NOT click.
      You should get an inference at the reference point.
      Move the cursor in the direction you want to start drawing - e.g. along an axis, so the rubber-band line is the axis color.
      Type in a distance: 200 + <enter> and immediately click the mouse button.
      The line start is now 200 units from the reference point, continue drawing...
      .........

      TIG, I'm surprised about this trick and following the steps you describe, I can't get the expected result.
      These are the steps I take:

      • select the 'Line' tool
      • with nothing in the model selected, hover over an endpoint to get an inference
      • move the cursor along (say) red
      • type 700 [Enter] and click the Lmouse button
      • ...... the edge just starts where I clicked, not at 700 (units) along red from the formentioned endpoint.
        What am I doing wrong?
      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • TIGT
        TIG Moderator
        last edited by

        It works for me, I just redid it using did the steps as you wrote them down...
        Line tool...
        ...Hover over the start point 'reference'...
        ...Move the cursor off in desired direction...
        You need to wait for the inference tooltip to say 'From Point', then type in the offset distance +<enter>, and then click the Lbutton to set the start-point...


        FromPoint.png

        TIG

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • Wo3DanW
          Wo3Dan
          last edited by

          @tig said:

          It works for me, I just redid it using did the steps as you wrote them down......

          Thanks TIG. Unfortunately it doesn't work on my PC.
          Do you perhaps use a MAC?

          Is anyone else able to use this 'From Point' option to start a new edge at certain specified distance?

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • K
            KrisM
            last edited by

            Doesn't work for me. I can get the "From Point" inference but most of the time can't enter anything in the measurement box. If the measurement box does display (which is sporadic), entering a measurement doesn't do anything. A puzzle?!

            KrisM

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • syburnS
              syburn
              last edited by

              I can get the from point, but after typing in distance entre, the cursor appears not on the axis I was expecting. Seems to appear on the original line from the start point, even if I'm inferencing on the other end point.

              Now Its stopped working. Sure you had to type something in few years ago.......

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • TIGT
                TIG Moderator
                last edited by

                WIN v2014 Pro works fine for me 😕

                Any one else manage it ?
                Or am I especially blessed by the SketchUp gods ?

                TIG

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • pbacotP
                  pbacot
                  last edited by

                  Can't on a Mac.

                  MacOSX MojaveSketchUp Pro v19 Twilight v2 Thea v3 PowerCADD

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • BoxB
                    Box
                    last edited by

                    Hmmm I'm not convinced it works, would be interested in seeing a recording of you doing it Tig. I can't make it work on W7
                    Having said that, I'm not sure why you would need it when it is very simple to draw a line to the point you want and use that endpoint as your start, then delete the original line.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • cottyC
                      cotty
                      last edited by

                      @tig said:

                      WIN v2014 Pro works fine for me 😕

                      same version here, but

                      @tig said:

                      Any one else manage it ?

                      no. 😕

                      @tig said:

                      Or am I especially blessed by the SketchUp gods ?

                      rhetorical question? 😒

                      my SketchUp gallery

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • TIGT
                        TIG Moderator
                        last edited by

                        I too would never normally use it - there are 'many better ways to skin a cat'...
                        I was simply explaining how to do it...
                        If it doesn't auto-play, click the gif to play it... the 200mm input is a little delayed in the recording, but it works..


                        xxx.gif

                        TIG

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • BoxB
                          Box
                          last edited by

                          So are you saying the start point is 200mm from the endpoint at the corner of the Square?


                          2014-10-07-22-12-29.png

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • TIGT
                            TIG Moderator
                            last edited by

                            Yes, it is.
                            Line tool - fresh line...
                            Hover over reference-point corner.
                            Move cursor along red-axis.
                            Get the 'From Point' inference tooltip.
                            Type 200 + <enter>
                            Click mouse button to start line 200mm from reference-point.

                            TIG

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • BoxB
                              Box
                              last edited by

                              I think we need to change your name to The Chosen One because it seems to me the gods have chosen to bestow this gift to you alone..

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • cottyC
                                cotty
                                last edited by

                                I would bet this comes from a magic ruby oneliner created by... TIG

                                my SketchUp gallery

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • S
                                  slbaumgartner
                                  last edited by

                                  @pbacot said:

                                  Can't on a Mac.

                                  Ditto. The values I type are ignored, they don't appear in the VCB and don't affect the point's location.

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0

                                  Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                  Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                  With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                  Register Login
                                  • 1 / 1
                                  • First post
                                    Last post
                                  Buy SketchPlus
                                  Buy SUbD
                                  Buy WrapR
                                  Buy eBook
                                  Buy Modelur
                                  Buy Vertex Tools
                                  Buy SketchCuisine
                                  Buy FormFonts

                                  Advertisement