sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Can't get the color white from both sides

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Newbie Forum
    sketchup
    14 Posts 4 Posters 1.0k Views 4 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • jeff hammondJ
      jeff hammond
      last edited by

      @dave r said:

      Is this a 3D shape you are talking about? Is the "gray" really gray or is it blue?
      .

      [just a note-- it's possible he's using one of the architecture templates which does have white/grey faces by default]

      dotdotdot

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • Dave RD
        Dave R
        last edited by

        Thanks for that Jeff. I haven't used any of them for years and had forgotten about the backfaces being gray in those templates. I don't use the blue either.

        Etaoin Shrdlu

        %

        (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

        G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

        M30

        %

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • jeff hammondJ
          jeff hammond
          last edited by

          @dave r said:

          Thanks for that Jeff. I haven't used any of them for years and had forgotten about the backfaces being gray in those templates. I don't use the blue either.

          ha.. yeah.. i remember a model you posted here a year or two ago and you were running some greenish-browns at that time

          dotdotdot

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • Dave RD
            Dave R
            last edited by

            I use a green color that I would never intentionally use in the model. For me the green is easier to pick out against the white background and white or gray faces than the default blue is. I can even pick out a tiny hole that displays only a few pixels across. This makes it easier to see and fix visible back faces.

            Etaoin Shrdlu

            %

            (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

            G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

            M30

            %

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • jeff hammondJ
              jeff hammond
              last edited by

              i;ve never really had my colors set up to my optimum liking i don't think..
              maybe that can be my assignment while i'm waiting in the dentist office for my daughter today ☀

              dotdotdot

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • Dave RD
                Dave R
                last edited by

                There you go. Better that reading back issues of the Highlights magazine.

                Etaoin Shrdlu

                %

                (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                M30

                %

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • jeff hammondJ
                  jeff hammond
                  last edited by

                  LOL

                  (and yes.. i know exactly what you're talking about)

                  dotdotdot

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • KrisidiousK
                    Krisidious
                    last edited by

                    I use hot pink for backfaces when I cannot have any outward. you know it a mile away and you must destroy it!

                    By: Kristoff Rand
                    Home DesignerUnique House Plans

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • Dave RD
                      Dave R
                      last edited by

                      I used to use a strong magenta color but switched to the green because it is easier on the eyes. I often change the back face color to black, dark gray or brown when exporting images without edges so the backface color doesn't show.

                      Etaoin Shrdlu

                      %

                      (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                      G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                      M30

                      %

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • smarqueS
                        smarque
                        last edited by

                        Many thanks to Dave R, Krisidious and Jeff Hammond for the in-depth answer.
                        It was a shadow thing. I followed your advice and my problem is solved. I had 2 vertical section cuts through the same room in a house model, each facing in the opposite direction and each one captured on it's own scene. All the parameters for each scene were identical. As I would toggle between the 2 scenes I would get "white" walls / "gray" (shadow / shading) walls effect. It was rather daunting.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1 / 1
                        • First post
                          Last post
                        Buy SketchPlus
                        Buy SUbD
                        Buy WrapR
                        Buy eBook
                        Buy Modelur
                        Buy Vertex Tools
                        Buy SketchCuisine
                        Buy FormFonts

                        Advertisement