sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    โš ๏ธ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Geodesic Gear Sphere

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Gallery
    28 Posts 19 Posters 6.3k Views 19 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • david_hD
      david_h
      last edited by

      that is really cool.

      Will that be in stores for Christmas? I want one!
      ๐Ÿ’š

      If I make it look easy...It is probably easy

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • soloS
        solo
        last edited by

        Ooooh!!

        That's brilliant.

        http://www.solos-art.com

        If you see a toilet in your dreams do not use it.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • TaffGochT
          TaffGoch
          last edited by

          ย 
          I did this to demonstrate that a proper arrangement of gears, in a sphere, could, indeed, rotate.

          There was some conjecture (in another forum) that the counter-rotation of gears would be locked. Truly, if three adjacent gears were meshed together, then the whole system would lock-up. This image settles the argument! "A picture is worth a thousand words."

          Producing the proper association, of a gear and it's neighbors, will ensure that it won't be a locked system.

          ~Taff

          "Information is not knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • Dave RD
            Dave R
            last edited by

            Very nice work.

            Etaoin Shrdlu

            %

            (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

            G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

            M30

            %

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • B
              bob-designer
              last edited by

              Very interesting, what else wound I expect from you?
              Can you make it expand and contract, change colors?

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • C
                castromann
                last edited by

                there has to be a lot of thinking behind this one. i saw your geodiscs and models in the warehouse before. where does your addiction to geodiscs come from - seems like your obsessed by these ๐Ÿ˜‰

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • boofredlayB
                  boofredlay
                  last edited by

                  @pixero said:

                  Wow. Amazing. It's almost hypnotic. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

                  Indeed. I just sent you the money you demanded as well ๐Ÿ˜ฒ ... can't ... look ... away ... ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

                  http://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • TaffGochT
                    TaffGoch
                    last edited by

                    @castromann said:

                    there has to be a lot of thinking behind this one. i saw your geodiscs and models in the warehouse before. where does your addiction to geodiscs come from - seems like your obsessed by these ๐Ÿ˜‰

                    I beg your pardon! - OBSESSED ? ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

                    I rather prefer "enamored," if you don't mind.

                    ( "Smitten," "enchanted," "infatuated" or "enraptured" will also do )

                    ~Taff

                    It's been 40+ years of fascination with the geometry & mathematical derivation of the elements of geodesic domes, which used to be closely-guarded proprietary information.

                    "Information is not knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • TaffGochT
                      TaffGoch
                      last edited by

                      @bob-designer said:

                      Very interesting, what else would I expect from you?

                      If you do a quick check of my online history, you'd then know "what," indeed.... ๐Ÿ˜„

                      "Information is not knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • TaffGochT
                        TaffGoch
                        last edited by

                        @unknownuser said:

                        I just sent you the money you demanded as well...

                        So, the subliminal programming worked, then. ๐Ÿ˜

                        Mwah-ha-haaaa... ๐Ÿ‘ฟ

                        "Information is not knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • S
                          Slimdog
                          last edited by

                          Nicely done. Color me impressed.

                          How do all the axles come together in the middle?

                          Where does the drive motor fit in?

                          So no sketchy physics plugin was used?

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • mitcorbM
                            mitcorb
                            last edited by

                            I salute your legendary talent. ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ And, congratulations on that solution.

                            I take the slow, deliberate approach in my aimless wandering.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • TaffGochT
                              TaffGoch
                              last edited by

                              @slimdog said:

                              How do all the axles come together in the middle?"
                              It's a virtual model -- so, no axles. ๐Ÿ˜‰

                              @unknownuser said:

                              Where does the drive motor fit in?"
                              It's a virtual model -- so, no motor. ๐Ÿ˜„

                              @unknownuser said:

                              So no sketchy physics plugin was used?"
                              So, no.... ๐Ÿ˜„


                              If I were to physically build this, as a sculpture, I'd use an internal geodesic frame/cage, where I'd mount 92 short axle "spindles," pointing outward, at the geodesic vertices.

                              Only one gear would need to be powered, as all the rest would be "pushed" by that one gear.

                              Mounting an electric motor, hidden inside the cage, would be trivial.


                              How to keep kids from sticking their fingers in the gears - now, THAT would be a problem. (I suppose, the adults, too.)

                              ~Taff

                              "Information is not knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • jamalitoJ
                                jamalito
                                last edited by

                                it is wasome

                                Albert Einstein:
                                ((I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.))

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • K
                                  KarinaGM
                                  last edited by

                                  YOU ARE SICK!
                                  I'm loving it!!! ๐ŸŽ‰ ๐ŸŽ‰ ๐ŸŽ‰

                                  **"Aquel que sacrifica un poco de libertad por seguridad, no se merece ninguna y terminarรก perdiendo ambas"

                                  -Benjamรญn Franklin.**

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • omiKronO
                                    omiKron
                                    last edited by

                                    This engine could spin the Earth forever ! Just.. speechless, awesome work ๐ŸŽ‰

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • C
                                      castromann
                                      last edited by

                                      @taffgoch said:

                                      @castromann said:

                                      there has to be a lot of thinking behind this one. i saw your geodiscs and models in the warehouse before. where does your addiction to geodiscs come from - seems like your obsessed by these ๐Ÿ˜‰

                                      I beg your pardon! - OBSESSED ? ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

                                      I rather prefer "enamored," if you don't mind.

                                      ( "Smitten," "enchanted," "infatuated" or "enraptured" will also do )

                                      ~Taff

                                      It's been 40+ years of fascination with the geometry & mathematical derivation of the elements of geodesic domes, which used to be closely-guarded proprietary information.

                                      haha! ok i will keep that in mind. whatever your "relationship" with these is - this is simply great and fascinating work

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • TaffGochT
                                        TaffGoch
                                        last edited by

                                        ย 
                                        A simplified SketchUp model is available:
                                        Gears Ball- 3D Warehouse

                                        %(#BF0000)[(Clickable image-link, to deviantART๐Ÿ˜ž]

                                        http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/209/8/9/92_gears___animation_study_by_taffgoch-d41pt63.gif

                                        ~Taff

                                        "Information is not knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • N
                                          notareal
                                          last edited by

                                          Hypnotic! ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

                                          Welcome to try Thea Render, Thea support | kerkythea.net -team member

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • G
                                            Goonster
                                            last edited by

                                            This is superb!

                                            I wondered the same thing as slimdog when I saw this though. Where would the gears meet and what could be powering it? ( just a thought)

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better ๐Ÿ’—

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 1 / 2
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement