sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    3D Scanning on the cheap

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Tutorials
    sketchup
    53 Posts 13 Posters 52.0k Views 13 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • jo-keJ
      jo-ke
      last edited by

      OK. First object scanned, not to bad for the beginning. I opened it on sculptris and reduced the mesh. (Thank you)

      But I still have a problem of importing the .obj to SU. It still doesn't work


      P1110545-kl.jpg

      http://www.zz7.de

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • jo-keJ
        jo-ke
        last edited by

        I was sucessful by importing the obj to blender, so I exported it to 3ds and then I was able to import to SU 😎

        Here's the result:

        Not bad for the very first scan....


        kopf.skp

        http://www.zz7.de

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • GaieusG
          Gaieus
          last edited by

          Nice first scan indeed. Trying my hands out on it with Twilight ATM
          πŸ˜‰


          5 passes with easy 09 at 1024x786 (resized to 800x600some just under 12 minutes).

          kopf.jpg
          Interesting hair style however. I do not know what causes it.

          Gai...

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • GaieusG
            Gaieus
            last edited by

            Well, it seems to be the procedural marble material. Here is another version where it's more visible:


            kopf.jpg

            Gai...

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • T
              tfdesign
              last edited by

              That's very odd! You look like a giant boiled sweet! 😲

              My book "Let's SketchUp!" Download from here

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • jo-keJ
                jo-ke
                last edited by

                First weekend of testing this funny tool.

                My idea was to build a 3D model of my wife. As I'm not good enough to model the shape by hand, the scanner in a good idea to build the ground shape.

                Let's start with the object and the first scans:


                david-lina-face4-000-original.jpg


                david-lina-face4-001-scannen.jpg

                http://www.zz7.de

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • jo-keJ
                  jo-ke
                  last edited by

                  In the next step the different scans can be grouped and the build the new shape

                  after that I opened the file in sculptris


                  david-lina-face4-002-scannen.jpg


                  david-lina-face4-003-sculpt.jpg

                  http://www.zz7.de

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • jo-keJ
                    jo-ke
                    last edited by

                    here I have the possibility to smooth the surface and to reduce the mesh


                    david-lina-face4-004-smooth.jpg


                    david-lina-face4-005-reduce.jpg

                    http://www.zz7.de

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • jo-keJ
                      jo-ke
                      last edited by

                      as I still have problems to import .obj- files to su I opended the file in meshlab and saved it in the 3ds- format.

                      Then it was easy to import to SU

                      There I smoothed it again


                      david-lina-face4-006-meshlab.jpg


                      david-lina-face4-007.3ds.jpg

                      http://www.zz7.de

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • jo-keJ
                        jo-ke
                        last edited by

                        so, time to render with twilightrender and have some fun...


                        david-lina-face4-010-render.jpg


                        david-lina-face4-011-scene.jpg

                        http://www.zz7.de

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • jo-keJ
                          jo-ke
                          last edited by

                          I prepared a face- texture and applied it as a projection to the mesh.

                          I found some nice bodys at the warehouse and I took these things together


                          david-lina-face4-008-texturieren.jpg


                          david-lina-face4-009-decoration.jpg

                          http://www.zz7.de

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • jo-keJ
                            jo-ke
                            last edited by

                            and another one...


                            david-lina-face4-012-scene.jpg

                            http://www.zz7.de

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • T
                              tfdesign
                              last edited by

                              Great stuff jo-ke! πŸ˜„

                              I need to have a go at this too.

                              My book "Let's SketchUp!" Download from here

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • jo-keJ
                                jo-ke
                                last edited by

                                the second avatar is finished.

                                A shot with me and my wife at our court


                                hof-ansicht028-kl.jpg

                                http://www.zz7.de

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • jo-keJ
                                  jo-ke
                                  last edited by

                                  Modelling the hair was tricky, then I used the fur plugin

                                  http://www.zz7.de

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • jo-keJ
                                    jo-ke
                                    last edited by

                                    OK here's the another result


                                    lina-jochen005.jpg

                                    http://www.zz7.de

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • MarianM
                                      Marian
                                      last edited by

                                      Are you really that tall? You look a bit too scaled up.

                                      http://marian87.deviantart.com/

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • GaieusG
                                        Gaieus
                                        last edited by

                                        Jo-Ke,

                                        I liked your old (forum) avatar better.

                                        The scanning results are great, don't get me wrong, but now you look so severe while in the old one you smiled.
                                        πŸ˜„

                                        Gai...

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • Rich O BrienR
                                          Rich O Brien Moderator
                                          last edited by

                                          I hope that's your wife's hand dangling there! πŸ˜‰

                                          Download the free D'oh Book for SketchUp πŸ“–

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • jo-keJ
                                            jo-ke
                                            last edited by

                                            @Marian: Don't worry, these are our real sizes πŸ˜‰

                                            @Gaieus: me too, I have to scan us, while we are smiling πŸ˜›

                                            @rclub24: Hmm, I have to ask her, what she's doing there 😲

                                            here are some new versions of my wife (with Oli's treeline):
                                            Really fun to play arround


                                            lina-asia.jpg


                                            lina-vamp002.jpg

                                            http://www.zz7.de

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 3
                                            • 2 / 3
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement