sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Freehand tool

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Discussions
    sketchup
    11 Posts 5 Posters 968 Views 5 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • S
      ScottPara
      last edited by

      Hmmm never thought of that. I am tracing out some 2D images to make billboards so that might work. I will give it a try.

      Thanks,
      Scott

      Love the fact that some HATE my avatar.....

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • S
        ScottPara
        last edited by

        That wont really work. I like the feeling of just freehand drawing on my wacom and how the freehand tool works with that. The tools on surface makes me continue to pick points which is far slower. No disrespect to the tool becase it is awesome but not suited for what I am doing it if I understand it correctly.

        Scott

        Love the fact that some HATE my avatar.....

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • GaieusG
          Gaieus
          last edited by

          Have you tried TIG's 2D Tools?

          I do not know if there is anything in there that would suit this job (I haven't had the need to do 2D things like that yet so never tried it)

          Gai...

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • massimoM
            massimo Moderator
            last edited by

            Scott, one first left click, release and move your mouse freely on your outline without any further click. Or, if you prefer, keep the left button pressed while drawing. However be sure to have the button below unticked and set the pixels value to "5" if you want a smoother curve. Plus by pressing the "esc" button of your keyboard you can undo your line point by point.


            Cattura.JPG

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • massimoM
              massimo Moderator
              last edited by

              Another workflow could be using Fredo's bezierspline plug: draw with native SU's freehand tool select your line then right click-->convert to "catmull spline". That will smooth your outline. Or, if you want more types of curves to choose from, convert your line first to polyline then "convert to" again and choose a type of line.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • TIGT
                TIG Moderator
                last edited by

                My 2D Tools Freehand Tool lets you [re]set the distance traveled before it makes a new vertex in the polyline it's constructing - the default = ~1"...
                Otherwise it's much line SUp's Freehand, just constrained to a 2D plane...

                TIG

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • fredo6F
                  fredo6
                  last edited by

                  @unknownuser said:

                  That wont really work. I like the feeling of just freehand drawing on my wacom and how the freehand tool works with that. The tools on surface makes me continue to pick points which is far slower. No disrespect to the tool becase it is awesome but not suited for what I am doing it if I understand it correctly.

                  Scott

                  FreeHand on Surface has a 'real freehand mode' where you simply mouse the mouse without clicking. You can toggle it via the button palette (a kind of Z) or with F4. There is also a video showing how it works.
                  [flash=425,344:11b33bve]http://www.youtube.com/v/mdqsYAbUfTE&hl[/flash:11b33bve]

                  Fredo

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • S
                    ScottPara
                    last edited by

                    Fredo,

                    Alright I got that working this morning but I find it is no more detailed than the standard freehand tool. Even at 5 pixels it is still too simplified for what I would like to see. I will post a side by side soon.

                    Scott

                    Love the fact that some HATE my avatar.....

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • S
                      ScottPara
                      last edited by

                      I take that back. At 5 pixels your tool is better than the standard freehand tool. I think I just found a far better way of doing these cut outs! Thanks guys for your help.

                      Scott

                      Love the fact that some HATE my avatar.....

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • massimoM
                        massimo Moderator
                        last edited by

                        Scott, have you already tried with Fredo's tools on surface plugin? It have a free hand tool in wich you can set the sensitivity (number of pixels, from 5 to 200, in length of a single segment) of your line.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1 / 1
                        • First post
                          Last post
                        Buy SketchPlus
                        Buy SUbD
                        Buy WrapR
                        Buy eBook
                        Buy Modelur
                        Buy Vertex Tools
                        Buy SketchCuisine
                        Buy FormFonts

                        Advertisement