sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    โš ๏ธ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    [Plugin] CleanUp

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Plugins
    974 Posts 217 Posters 1.2m Views 217 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • thomthomT
      thomthom
      last edited by

      @plot-paris said:

      SketchUp Pro 2016 (v 16.1.1449)
      Windows 10

      What version of CleanUp did you have?

      Thomas Thomassen โ€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
      List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • thomthomT
        thomthom
        last edited by

        @cotty said:

        I've got a lot of unresolved problems while opening the model, the cleanup afterwards leads to this...

        I also saw the model had lots of validation issues.

        I found your error report Cotty. It appear to come from face merging - some faces where lost. Typically I see this when a model have small faces which cause tolerance issue in SU. Or some models with imported DWG data which have carried over some small precision issues.

        However, when I opened that model and ran only Merge Faces I got no errors.

        What settings did you guys use with CleanUp? The different set of options often have great impact on what might trigger a bug/issue.

        Thomas Thomassen โ€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
        List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • cottyC
          cotty
          last edited by

          I do prefer ultra-clean... ๐Ÿ˜‰

          cleanupproblemsettings.JPG

          my SketchUp gallery

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • plot-parisP
            plot-paris
            last edited by

            I was relying on the SketchUcation Plugin to keep my stuff up to date. But that obviously didn't work. I just re-installed CleanUpยณ and now got the same error message as cotty.

            I then used thomthom's trick and did a first run, just Merging Faces and then a second, full cleanup. This worked!

            So thanks guys. Now I have a new trick to use, when handling problematic models...

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • Dave RD
              Dave R
              last edited by

              Maybe you could add another trick and clean periodically as you go so you don't have a big load of stuff to clean up at the end.

              Etaoin Shrdlu

              %

              (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

              G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

              M30

              %

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • thomthomT
                thomthom
                last edited by

                @cotty said:

                I do prefer ultra-clean... ๐Ÿ˜‰

                I recommend to enable Remove Duplicate Face only when you know there is an issue. It's extremely slow and not always reliable.

                Thomas Thomassen โ€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • thomthomT
                  thomthom
                  last edited by

                  @plot-paris said:

                  I then used thomthom's trick and did a first run, just Merging Faces and then a second, full cleanup. This worked!

                  That's strange... and troublesome. It means the issue stems from compound cleanup actions. hmm...

                  Thomas Thomassen โ€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                  List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • cottyC
                    cotty
                    last edited by

                    @thomthom said:

                    @cotty said:

                    I do prefer ultra-clean... ๐Ÿ˜‰

                    I recommend to enable Remove Duplicate Face only when you know there is an issue. It's extremely slow and not always reliable.

                    Thank you for the tip!

                    my SketchUp gallery

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • A
                      AirWindSolar
                      last edited by

                      @thomthom said:

                      That's strange... and troublesome. It means the issue stems from compound cleanup actions. hmm...

                      Possibly the order of the operations? Sounds like removing duplicate faces simplified it enough that whatever was crashing could handle what was left after that specific operation.

                      One thing I'm noticing is that, for example, the bicycles are 24 separate but apparently identical ~600kb groups. That adds a lot of complexity compared to having a couple dozen instances of a single component. Same thing with several doors, etc. How hard would it be to recognize identical groups/components/items, and replace all of the duplicates with instances of one? (Maybe with some minimum complexity and/or count so it's not making components of every triangle or rectangle that happens to have a single mate somewhere.)

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • thomthomT
                        thomthom
                        last edited by

                        @airwindsolar said:

                        How hard would it be to recognize identical groups/components/items, and replace all of the duplicates with instances of one? (Maybe with some minimum complexity and/or count so it's not making components of every triangle or rectangle that happens to have a single mate somewhere.)

                        I had a stab at that a few years ago: http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30143
                        But I never got around to finish it. It quickly becomes non-trivial.

                        Thomas Thomassen โ€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                        List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • A
                          AirWindSolar
                          last edited by

                          Another thought on this one; not sure how hard it would be to calculate without saving, but a before and after file size, or percent reduction of the file size in the info box would be a handy bit of bragging if a user is wondering how much this saved them.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • thomthomT
                            thomthom
                            last edited by

                            That would not be realistically possible with any kind of accuracy. The fileformat changes from version to version and the filesize depend on how SU pack the bytes.

                            Also, the filesize is not a good indication for how complex or large the model is. You can have a model with millions of faces and tiny filesize due to using components. On the other hand, you could also have a huge filesize with only a cube in the model - if there are applied large textures, watermarks etc. Materials, attributes, styles, watermarks all skew the filesize.

                            CleanUp was never made for saving filesize - it was for making the model geometry cleaner and simpler, hopefully improving the performance of the model a little. (Some times you do notice a big filesize difference - which is most likely due to purging unused items, but that's just a bonus.)

                            Thomas Thomassen โ€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                            List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • pilouP
                              pilou
                              last edited by

                              Why Clean Up after a Lattice Maker (by TIG) don't Clean coplanar thing ? ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

                              Solid Solver by TIG make it ! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

                              Solid Inspector2 don't make it! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ (by ThomThom)
                              Protrude by Jim
                              Fredo Scale by Fredo6

                              What I miss ?

                              https://s6.postimg.org/vdfavuvpt/mini_tut.jpg


                              why_not_clean.skp

                              Frenchy Pilou
                              Is beautiful that please without concept!
                              My Little site :)

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • K
                                kaas
                                last edited by

                                @Thom - I'm curious - when using CleanUp3, the operation collapses the Outliner-list. Its the same behavior as choosing 'collapse all' when right-clicking on the level entry (the file name). Do you know what causes this behavior?


                                cleanup.gif

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • mariochaM
                                  mariocha
                                  last edited by

                                  I like localizing plugins. Helps me learn ruby. I found this one well written and thus a good teacher.
                                  So it is now localized with LanguageHandler. And french strings. v 3.4.3
                                  Should I get it signed before posting it here, or send it to you, or what ?
                                  Cookies to you.
                                  p.s.: I had to change the tooltips heredocs to strings, of course.
                                  oh, also, no progressbar or status on Mac.

                                  %(#008000)[Mario C.
                                  Every rule has exceptions, but some.]

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • A
                                    ataman811
                                    last edited by

                                    Hi!
                                    How can I translate your plugin into Russian?

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • OxerO
                                      Oxer
                                      last edited by

                                      I translated the plugin to Spanish language a long time ago for my own use but I made it translating the strings in the .rb files directly.
                                      mariocha, can you share the strings file to translate it to Spanish? what did you do to give support to the .rb files to translate the plugin?

                                      "The result is the end what is important is the process" by Oxer
                                      http://www.oxervision.blogspot.com/

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • thomthomT
                                        thomthom
                                        last edited by

                                        CleanUp doesn't support translation right now.

                                        If you want to translate, add a comment in the issue tracker; https://bitbucket.org/thomthom/cleanup/issues/16/localize

                                        Mention what language you can contribute with.

                                        Thomas Thomassen โ€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                                        List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • OxerO
                                          Oxer
                                          last edited by

                                          @thomthom said:

                                          CleanUp doesn't support translation right now.

                                          If you want to translate, add a comment in the issue tracker; https://bitbucket.org/thomthom/cleanup/issues/16/localize

                                          Mention what language you can contribute with.

                                          Done!!

                                          P.S.: Thom, have you see your private messages, I sent you a message a week ago about UVToolKit plugin.

                                          "The result is the end what is important is the process" by Oxer
                                          http://www.oxervision.blogspot.com/

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • H
                                            highlander
                                            last edited by

                                            Hello,

                                            Can someone tell me why this menu does not work anymore??

                                            cleanup_white.PNG

                                            Sander Hoogland
                                            SketchUp 2018 pro - Vray
                                            Beeld3d

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better ๐Ÿ’—

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 39
                                            • 40
                                            • 41
                                            • 42
                                            • 43
                                            • 48
                                            • 49
                                            • 41 / 49
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement