sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Circles and round lathed objects

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Newbie Forum
    sketchup
    24 Posts 5 Posters 3.7k Views 5 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • GaieusG
      Gaieus
      last edited by

      That's nice, Eric - and also highlights the drawbacks of the follow me tool with very sharp angles.

      Gai...

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • boofredlayB
        boofredlay
        last edited by

        I went ahead and added this tut to the Tutorials & How-To / Modeling Forum.

        http://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • N
          not registered yet
          last edited by

          Worked like a charm. The selected face was visually de-selected upon choosing the follow-me tool, but it worked when I clicked the plane I wanted to border the top plane with.

          P: AcousticGarden

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • boofredlayB
            boofredlay
            last edited by

            Yea, like Gai said, the surface or edges seem to be deslected when you grab the Follow Me tool.

            Glad you got it to work for you.

            http://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • N
              not registered yet
              last edited by

              Oh, I just realized another thing I'm curious about: Can you grab an object, and move it without distorting it? Like say you were doing an interior furniture layout. Could you move a complete piece of furniture in tact without the program trying to distort the object? I haven't seen a way to do that yet.

              P: AcousticGarden

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • boofredlayB
                boofredlay
                last edited by

                You have to make sure the "furniture" or whatever it is you want to move is separated from the rest of the model. To do this you make a group or component.

                Check out the SU 5 tutorials on the SketchUp site. #22 will talk about components but check them all out. This is how I learnt. 😄
                http://sketchup.google.com/gsu5vtvideos.html
                Then check out the SU 6 Tutorails:
                http://sketchup.google.com/gsu6vtvideos.html

                http://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • N
                  not registered yet
                  last edited by

                  Thanks. I think I've seen all the Sketch Up 6 tutorials.

                  I didn't bother with all the SU5 ones believing that the changes in 6 might make those obsolete. I'll check out the one you recommended as soon as I can.

                  So much to learn! 😄

                  P: AcousticGarden

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • GaieusG
                    Gaieus
                    last edited by

                    @unknownuser said:

                    ...I didn't bother with all the SU5 ones believing that the changes in 6 might make those obsolete...

                    Never think they are - most of the "basic" techniques are the same.
                    Also, there is a lot of things to update among the tuts - as well as the SU Guide which I also warmly recommend to go through...

                    Gai...

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • N
                      not registered yet
                      last edited by

                      The guide being the pdf book? I think I'm a little less than half way through that.

                      P: AcousticGarden

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • GaieusG
                        Gaieus
                        last edited by

                        Well, it has a pdf version, too (I have never printed it nor I have a printer actually) so I guess it is.
                        A great resource.

                        Gai...

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • B
                          Bert
                          last edited by

                          Gaïeus wrote
                          @unknownuser said:

                          In the tutorial, as you can see, the view is almost horizontal; that's how SU "tries" to assume on which plane you are trying to draw. So when you are looking "down", it will draw on the red/green plane, if you are looking rather from the "side" (with the horizon more or less in the middle), it will try to draw on the red/blue or green/blue plane (depending on which direction you are looking).
                          This is sometimes harder to do than what you did.

                          One more time I have learned something reading this forum,

                          Tank you all

                          Salutations (Best regards) Bert

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • GaieusG
                            Gaieus
                            last edited by

                            Bert, that's what we are all here for; learning and sharing...
                            I have learnt a lot from this or the "old" and even the "Freee GGroups" forums...

                            Gai...

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0

                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                            Register Login
                            • 1
                            • 2
                            • 1 / 2
                            • First post
                              Last post
                            Buy SketchPlus
                            Buy SUbD
                            Buy WrapR
                            Buy eBook
                            Buy Modelur
                            Buy Vertex Tools
                            Buy SketchCuisine
                            Buy FormFonts

                            Advertisement