sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    U Place Text Tool on a Line And Get the Dreaded 'Enter text'

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Discussions
    sketchup
    15 Posts 4 Posters 3.6k Views 4 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • Dave RD
      Dave R
      last edited by

      You need to get the inference dot and move the cursor in until it turns green before you click.

      For the first text, I clicked after the dot turned green. On the second one, the dot isn't green when I clicked.

      Click on the picture.

      I still haven't understood why you aren't doing your labels in LayOut. This sort of thing won't happen there.

      Etaoin Shrdlu

      %

      (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

      G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

      M30

      %

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • Joe WoodJ
        Joe Wood
        last edited by

        I never thought about that Dave, but I just tried it and I still get the dreaded message even though the endpoint is green.

        I tried Layout but didn't want to put the time in to learning it, I'm quite happy with the way I make Plans, except for this one issue ..

        Joe Wood
        woodsshop.com/

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • BoxB
          Box
          last edited by

          The trick is to click on the green endpoint marker. If the tip of the text tool is off that point, even though it is showing, it will say enter text.


          Text.gif

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • Joe WoodJ
            Joe Wood
            last edited by

            ah Ha Box, that might be the trick, I'll give it a try tomorrow πŸ™‚

            EDIT
            nope, I put the arrow part right on the green endpoint and no joy. If I zoom in it might work sometimes, other times it seems like if I do a slow click it'll work.

            how are you recording your screen Box?

            Joe Wood
            woodsshop.com/

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • BoxB
              Box
              last edited by

              Many people use Licecap, I use gifcam but wouldn't recommend it generally as it is very unstable.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • S
                slbaumgartner
                last edited by

                It's a subtle aspect of the text label tool, arguably a bug. The inference engine detects an endpoint near the cursor and highlights it green with tooltip, telling you that point is being used for inference. But the text label tool doesn't actually anchor to that endpoint unless it is within the invisible "capture aperture" of the cursor! This can indeed be a frustrating and seemingly erratic behavior!

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • Joe WoodJ
                  Joe Wood
                  last edited by

                  Yeah I can't figure it out, I couldn't make that Licecap work so can't show you.

                  where is this 'capture aperture', can someone show it to me?

                  Joe Wood
                  woodsshop.com/

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • S
                    slbaumgartner
                    last edited by

                    The display screen is a raster made up of pixels. Likewise, the cursor is displayed as a raster icon made up of pixels. One of the pixels in the cursor (typically lower left) is designated as its "hot spot". You select by placing the cursor over a target in the model and then clicking the mouse.

                    But that selection action takes place on the user's display, where the continuous model contents are rendered as finite pixels each of which, depending on zoom, can represent a variable amount of model space. So, SketchUp needs a way to decide whether something in the model was meant to be under the hot-spot when you clicked. To allow for human ability to place the cursor exactly and also for the finite pixels of the display, SketchUp has a small window or aperture around the cursor's hot-spot in which it looks for something you might have meant to select. When it finds such content, the pick "snaps" to its location. There is no way to view or modify this aperture via the GUI.

                    In many tools, the green highlight on an inference point means that is where the pick point will snap when you click. On the text tool, this is not the case and since you can't see the aperture you have to be extra careful where you click.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • Joe WoodJ
                      Joe Wood
                      last edited by

                      What a great explanation Slb! But I still don't understand where that point is. Could you draw that little pointer and show where the magic point is?

                      Joe Wood
                      woodsshop.com/

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • S
                        slbaumgartner
                        last edited by

                        The location of the hot-spot can vary from cursor to cursor, though it is most often at the lower left. In the specific case of the text tool, it is at the tip of the little arrow from the box labelled "A1" in the cursor. You need to place that arrow tip right over the dot in the middle of an endpoint inference marker to be sure that you will get a "leader text" anchored to that point (and automatically filled with its coordinates) rather than a "screen text" anchored to the display (initially saying "user text"). Yes, it can be fussy to hit that spot accurately, and all of us sometimes have to try again to get leader text instead of screen text.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • Joe WoodJ
                          Joe Wood
                          last edited by

                          yeah I'm really trying to figure it out now, but at least knowing I'm not the only one helps some πŸ™‚

                          Joe Wood
                          woodsshop.com/

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • Joe WoodJ
                            Joe Wood
                            last edited by

                            I figured it out I hope!

                            when I put the little hooked pointer right on the endpoint I get the 'Enter Text',

                            but when I move the little pointer to the right of the endpoit just a bit it works as it should πŸ™‚

                            you can't see the little pointer in this s shot but it's just to the right.

                            1 Untitled.png

                            Joe Wood
                            woodsshop.com/

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0

                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                            With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                            Register Login
                            • 1 / 1
                            • First post
                              Last post
                            Buy SketchPlus
                            Buy SUbD
                            Buy WrapR
                            Buy eBook
                            Buy Modelur
                            Buy Vertex Tools
                            Buy SketchCuisine
                            Buy FormFonts

                            Advertisement