sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Knowledgeable stair builders, what is this called?

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Discussions
    sketchup
    8 Posts 6 Posters 2.4k Views 6 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • C
      CalypsoArt
      last edited by

      Knowledgeable architects or stair builders. What is this called? I've looked in all my resources. I can find no name. I went with Reverse Finial.


      stair.jpg

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • TIGT
        TIG Moderator
        last edited by

        It's on the bottom of a newel post: so include that in its name.
        That newel is also extended downwards [aka dropped?]: so perhaps somehow include that in its name.
        It's also a cap [or finial]: so include that in its name.

        I'd call it a "dropped-newel-with-cap" [or "...[-bottom]-finial"]
        [at least in UK-England]

        Different locales will probably have different naming conventions...
        Draw it and explain in words.
        The builder/joiner should understand you...

        TIG

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • TIGT
          TIG Moderator
          last edited by

          Remember that a simple 'dropped-newel' might not have any 'cap' at all [perhaps just chamfers to its exposed edges], so for-the-avoidance-of-doubt I'd add something like '...-with-cap' [or '-finial' etc] if it has one...

          TIG

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • S ShepherdS
            S Shepherd
            last edited by

            I think I'd go with Dropped Newel.
            [Edit] Also pendant might be applicable
            S.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • R
              rtd
              last edited by

              Are you creating design or construction documents?

              I assume that there would be a drawing of it at a suitable scale to establish the profile desired. I'd go with 'dropped newel, see detail'.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • pmolsonP
                pmolson
                last edited by

                Thingamajig
                πŸ˜„

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • boofredlayB
                  boofredlay
                  last edited by

                  You could describe it as a dropped or lowered newel post. I have seen it as just a newel post with lower post cap. And if it has a cap at the top then call that out too.

                  Although Ron describes them as "dropped" on this blog post:
                  http://stairman.blogspot.com/2015/02/historic-fraternity-house-reproduction.html

                  Here it is referred to as a newel drop.

                  http://site.stairwarehouse.com/Post-to-post.gif

                  http://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • C
                    CalypsoArt
                    last edited by

                    Thanks all. I'm going with Dropped newel and reverse finial.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0

                    Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                    Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                    With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                    Register Login
                    • 1 / 1
                    • First post
                      Last post
                    Buy SketchPlus
                    Buy SUbD
                    Buy WrapR
                    Buy eBook
                    Buy Modelur
                    Buy Vertex Tools
                    Buy SketchCuisine
                    Buy FormFonts

                    Advertisement