sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Challenge: creating a seemless curved surface

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Newbie Forum
    sketchup
    8 Posts 6 Posters 608 Views 6 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • bsintzelB
      bsintzel
      last edited by

      SU2013 pro 13.0.4812 on Win 7

      It seems that the only time I have any 'real' challenges with Sketchup, it's when I try to design something containing a curved surface. For example, when attempting to create, what looks like an old fashioned mailbox, I can see edges where the faces of the side of the box meet the convex surfaces. When I delete the edges in an attempt to get a seamless surface, I end up deleting an entire surface instead.

      Question:

      Is there a technique (or plugin) that can allow me to create a seemless mailbox design?

      Thanks in advance for any insight on this.


      curiosity.jpg


      curiosity.skp

      I've taken obfuscating to a whole new level!

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • BoxB
        Box
        last edited by

        Use CTRL with the eraser tool to smooth the line rather than delete it.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • Rich O BrienR
          Rich O Brien Moderator
          last edited by

          Or...

          Select the edges you want to soften and in the Entity Info boxes check both Soften and Smooth

          Download the free D'oh Book for SketchUp πŸ“–

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • S ShepherdS
            S Shepherd
            last edited by

            Try using the eraser with the ctrl key to hide or smooth the lines.

            S

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • bsintzelB
              bsintzel
              last edited by

              Thanks folks....much appreciated.

              The CNTRL + eraser tool worked perfectly. Man, you never stop learning with SU...I guess that's why I like it so much. πŸ˜„


              curiosity no more.jpg

              I've taken obfuscating to a whole new level!

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • cottyC
                cotty
                last edited by

                Both directions are possible, see help...

                my SketchUp gallery

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • BoxB
                  Box
                  last edited by

                  I'm curious how you got a line there in the first place, usually you would draw that arc as one and extrude it, but that matters not. If you "weld" the two arcs together before extruding the shape the line won't appear.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • Dave RD
                    Dave R
                    last edited by

                    I'm guessing the box was drawn and the curved corners cut off with Push/Pull?
                    curiosity.png

                    Etaoin Shrdlu

                    %

                    (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                    G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                    M30

                    %

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0

                    Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                    Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                    With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                    Register Login
                    • 1 / 1
                    • First post
                      Last post
                    Buy SketchPlus
                    Buy SUbD
                    Buy WrapR
                    Buy eBook
                    Buy Modelur
                    Buy Vertex Tools
                    Buy SketchCuisine
                    Buy FormFonts

                    Advertisement