sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    [Plugin] Helix along curve

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Plugins
    100 Posts 58 Posters 173.2k Views 58 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • H
      HikerDave
      last edited by

      Hi 3dalbertsoft - having lots of fun with this plugin!
      Is there a way to rotate the extruded shape on its own axis as it follows the curve? That is to say, in your video at 5:00 you extrude a triangle along the curve. What I would like to do is rotate the triangle on its center, perpendicular to the curve, so that I may have a twisting triangular tube. Thanks for the work on this! πŸ˜„

      Dave

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • 3
        3dalbertsoft
        last edited by

        Hello Dave, now that option is not implemented. It seems a good idea for future versions

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • wimveW
          wimve
          last edited by

          THANK YOU VERY MUCH !

          Very nice and simple to use plugin.

          I have a question too: how can I create flat start and ends ?
          Real spings have a "flat" end. So the last coil bends inwards and flattends out.
          (I hope I write something that makes sense)

          Best regards,
          Wim
          Holland
          http://www.petromax.nl/DeBeer.html

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • Dave RD
            Dave R
            last edited by

            When I need to draw a compression spring or a spring with a hook or eye on the end, I draw the flattened helices for the ends separate from the middle section. adding a hook would be a matter of continuing the paths. See this for ideas. The same basic workflow can also be used for springs with changing radii.

            https://farm7.staticflickr.com/6106/6211771064_a30af04cce.jpg

            Etaoin Shrdlu

            %

            (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

            G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

            M30

            %

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • M
              MCVet
              last edited by

              Great Plugin, I was able to replicate a Torque (a celtic jewel) and then 3dprint the result.

              https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/9_5Y3qwr-KsnrJWIbYeaoWxhUsvFaYlPoc53dFg09HgvrmCwz_aq1fDuJTq01Aan7VVNqEwG_x6UwF10Ju0RNzCB2pijCQSoQSEwrl0rekjsXsz5XLyQFQk2Cdk07jg_E3ws0dvByj8z8bfJuDcrcNxh-weNRICiKRuce8OfmPjzWwyO1BgONGm-hA-QpR_kLpuH7st1zeCveW5pRXoo_ZSYwKCqWx6G025r4794pINfkI9zzGzMeqjq1zUYZMfnV3Z7QeNg8i1_F9yhbHVlIyaM2qe4mSm0hIAGggnqKpd32PyWgRZxitQTJr0r0OZ01B4yDJwd2ebp57vjGVcgkvhmvxCu_4fnmVNhP6eFfSDu7zaVpjILM_e32H5RnXIGyjoEzvc4xCVuQR2tKP_sseczSgXldmFdZfZOaTuC5m00gwN5R96jg0EA9cHn1qjS_NoFEw6Kid258TnbFvbTdtAf9pROJNGyvHWiQN8K7yNvHgFuwAEGQxF-ig15htIrXrp2V-EHBdMcPwCoc1daxulZWWj-2y72ZQ_iPSNLFczcHBZFC7DFpWx-FzS4uK2WHHu_5PyJqrCarK6yRRINOZUGeS7d-rH2=w1053-h851-no

              https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Y5PEz4IZ9M99fQLTCI6LX1a4wfOMEk3OmE49o9X4JVLJimpsnrYZZOHIomn1qWcU9GfDz-nbHJiJszG_QgTe5ZS3SAcl3G9Xs18g6QPm1jj-zxzPHETJlsyw-mvYa5GKELqhkUrY7EHmsDEnWQEGwg-Ck21YlWp8MBknaEq5YtRqn16xzjOCOto5wL96ucxY8CygGoT9Iutn9eMWqmfBIPoT_o358ArO-A9qCOBtSaopq1nat85WZx_N9GYwcVORpBCilN7xUkpeYwE2Y_bEWqgFA_P7OnU0-IWiFDHkehJ6QTxJpsKmPlsItq-eQXdEfDgtmOzxjtrt59oIZCRbRpMst5RV94OvsYQ2xnzgHBo2mOH_lAlCX-mBbMeH3tNxfXt9sDDwPuFmYJSVn9Qvdsqc2LozbwKu2bsJiVA8UMw9jnccfJWb6y75vLQL7G-DJh-emOGOSsxmDfUW1pMz_pp0VScUdZrDr4ehjuSQvLXZ8SzMQ38M1HT-45-2ChfMWUvB7u9xLpXQiVgT6I-6VkNmqbrSH-7iCU-2MCfPxRa3JSRAvwTIUMc8XnYgDALIuuxa1GVs1V1KdnCVPGo2PjDFw21h0_ZA=w661-h881-no

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • R
                Rozina
                last edited by

                Does anyone know hot to install it?

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • TIGT
                  TIG Moderator
                  last edited by

                  @rozina said:

                  Does anyone know hot to install it?
                  Swapping the word 'hot' for 'how'...
                  I assume you mean this:
                  http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=467840#p467840
                  The first post in the thread...
                  There are two links.
                  One to the author's own site and the other to the PluginStore's RBZ...
                  http://sketchucation.com/pluginstore?pln=helix_along_curve

                  Please learn to use the links, search-tools and so on...

                  TIG

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • J
                    jack_sprat
                    last edited by

                    Great plug-in - a really handy tool. Thank you.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • U
                      uxamakhan21
                      last edited by

                      how to download this plugin please letme know ..

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • TIGT
                        TIG Moderator
                        last edited by

                        @uxamakhan21 said:

                        how to download this plugin please letme know ..
                        Most plugin threads have download links in their first post.
                        This is no exception.
                        The PluginStore entry is also easily found using helix + curve as the search...
                        https://sketchucation.com/pluginstore?pln=helix_along_curve

                        Download its RBZ and install that using the native Extension Manager installer...
                        Or of course, the SketchUcation ExtensionStore's similar tool...

                        TIG

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • A
                          Ahmed0007
                          last edited by

                          This plugin initially emerged in order to meet design needs some personal projects. I've decided to add some additional details and publish this work. [highlight=#ffff80:3h93mwy4]I plan to make more plugins when I have free time.[/highlight:3h93mwy4] 😳

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • K
                            kapstuff
                            last edited by

                            A great tool. Tried a number of different helix plug-ins. This one best satisfied my needs, and much easier than many others.
                            Would be handy if I could load the variables from a text file (or XLS). Have multiple helixes to create.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • C
                              chaster
                              last edited by

                              3dAlbertsoft, this is one of my FAVORITE plugins. Thank you so much for making and publishing it!

                              By chance, would it be possible to modify the plugin so that it takes a second curve to define the radius of the helix? This feature would help me on a project greatly. πŸ˜„

                              Regardless, WONDERFUL work! Thanks again for making it available to everyone!

                              Eric

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • G
                                gripple
                                last edited by

                                This is a great plugin, I have been using it in Sketchup 2017, however it doesn't seem to work/install in Sketchup 2018!
                                Anyone else got it to work in Sketchup 2018?
                                Thanks,
                                Jez.

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • G
                                  gripple
                                  last edited by

                                  UPDATE!
                                  This does work in Sketchup 2018.
                                  Cheers,
                                  Jez.

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • A
                                    Ahmed0007
                                    last edited by

                                    @gripple said:

                                    UPDATE!
                                    This does work in Sketchup 2018.
                                    Cheers,
                                    Jez.

                                    it's work fine for me on SU18 Windows

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • J
                                      Jami123
                                      last edited by

                                      Is it possible to find input on a helix I already drew? Or to match properties? Once I move on to another curve or experiment with scaling the helix I'm not able to find details on my previous input.

                                      Thanks!

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • O
                                        oyercab
                                        last edited by

                                        This is working in Sketchup Pro 2020 (on Mac). Thank you!

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • W
                                          WhyDoesItMatter Newcomers
                                          last edited by

                                          it seems the download link is not working. Is this discontinued by any chance?

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • TIGT
                                            TIG Moderator
                                            last edited by

                                            The PluginStore entry downloads just fine...
                                            https://sketchucation.com/pluginstore?pln=helix_along_curve

                                            TIG

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 3
                                            • 4
                                            • 5
                                            • 1 / 5
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement