sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Sketchup on a Thumb Drive?

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Discussions
    sketchup
    11 Posts 8 Posters 5.2k Views 8 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • honoluludesktopH
      honoluludesktop
      last edited by

      Haven't tried it, but I don't think you can easily do that since the machine SU runs on will not have it's ID in the system registry.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • Rich O BrienR
        Rich O Brien Moderator
        last edited by

        But...

        If you want to try and create your own you could try Cameyo. It's has a feature for converting installers to portable apps. If you try let us know? I couldn't be arsed πŸ˜‰

        Download the free D'oh Book for SketchUp πŸ“–

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • T
          tfdesign
          last edited by

          Yes, I've installed SU on a pen drive and used it like that. I think there were a few problems with preferences and stuff, but I can't remember. But it does work (kind of).

          Tom

          My book "Let's SketchUp!" Download from here

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • MatteM
            Matte
            last edited by

            I'll give it a try. I noticed my thumb drive and many of the newer ones are built to run programs, it even has some type of program to make it work. But the makers of "whatever" program you want to run have to add some sort of allowed link to do so? I'll let you all know how it goes?
            Matte

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • T
              tfdesign
              last edited by

              Matte, I think that the best way to go about this is to just point the installer location towards your thumb-drive. Please tell us how you got on πŸ˜„

              Tom

              My book "Let's SketchUp!" Download from here

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • D
                dtrarch
                last edited by

                Hi All

                Someone worked out SU 7 Portable sometime ago. πŸ‘
                It is just the executable and will run on almost any drive.
                I'm not sure if it is OK to provide for download but maybe there is an old link or such to access.

                dtr

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • MatteM
                  Matte
                  last edited by

                  In progress update. You can load SU to a Thumb drive, sort of. You can not load SU on yous machine and a thumb drive, you have to choose. If I erase it off of my my πŸ˜„ drive I can install it on a Thumb drive. My goal is at work to run my SU-Pro off of my thumb drive and SU-free on my work computer untill I show them a bit more and they buy a few copies. I only use the pro for about 15 min a day during my lunch break. The good news so far is all my plug-ins, styles and button layouts on my drive work as expected, and if I open up the SU-Free version it opens up with all its settings as well. The "bad" part is that when opening up the Pro version on the thumb drive it defaults to the free version options. I assume this is because the actuall on/off "switch" for the program is somewhere on the πŸ˜„ drive or in the regestry or something? So it tells the Pro version to open up in Free mode? But still trying to figure out what the "u3 smart program" that came with the thumb drive does? I'll let you know if I kind out anything new.
                  Matte

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • M
                    meister-mischler
                    last edited by

                    With SU6 and PAC http://portableapps.com/node/9909 I was able to create a working thumbdrive app. But I dont know, if the PAC works with newer SU versions.

                    Kurt

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • C
                      cdubea
                      last edited by

                      I got SU 6 to work quite nicely and listed a description here:

                      404 Not Found

                      favicon

                      (forums.sketchucation.com)

                      I've not tried this with SU7.

                      good luck,

                      http://www.dubea.org/chris_small.jpg

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • J
                        jstjohn
                        last edited by

                        Not sure if this helps, but I have been using SU on an external hard drive for a few years now. When I reconnect the drive, I often have to go into the drive directory to use the application (as opposed to the start menu) but otherwise it works just fine.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1 / 1
                        • First post
                          Last post
                        Buy SketchPlus
                        Buy SUbD
                        Buy WrapR
                        Buy eBook
                        Buy Modelur
                        Buy Vertex Tools
                        Buy SketchCuisine
                        Buy FormFonts

                        Advertisement