sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Array or Copy Multiple?

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Newbie Forum
    sketchup
    27 Posts 14 Posters 5.4k Views 14 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • T
      tomsdesk
      last edited by

      That's why I keep hangin' around with you kids...learn something new most every day. Happy Birthday, BTW!

      http://www.tomsdesk.moonfruit.com/
      2.5D Trees & Shrubs!

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • S
        sorgesu
        last edited by

        Thanks Tom. I'm afraid that my birthday proves that I'm no kid. Sigh.

        Susan Sorger
        Former Seller Hand Rendered Entourage
        Former Canadian Authorized Training Centre, SketchUp

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • GaieusG
          Gaieus
          last edited by

          Well, I miss half a day and everything is answered...
          😄
          Anyway, have a look at the "Making linear arrays" with the move tool and "Radial arrays" with the rotate tool in the SU Guide (both are somewhere half way down the pages).

          Gai...

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • S
            Sawduster
            last edited by

            I recently saw a nice tutorial using the radial array to make the copies for an animation of a door opening. Very cool.

            May all your dimensions be the sum of their total.

            Jerry

            http://www.sawdustersplace.com

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • EdsonE
              Edson
              last edited by

              hi randall,

              what you probably want to do is to create an array in which one single instance can be turned into an arrangement of objects in rows and columns, right? i do not think SU can do it in a single move. first you have to copy the object along a row (horizontally) then you select the entire row and copy it vertically. see the attached "tutorial".

              tut_array.skp

              edson mahfuz, architect| porto alegre • brasil
              http://www.mahfuz.arq.br

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • Jean-FrancoJ
                Jean-Franco
                last edited by

                Hi All,
                I think the tutorial mentionned by Sawduster is a video on Design, Click and Build made by Dave Richards. The title is "Animating Your SketchUp Models".
                Here is the link: http://blogs.taunton.com/n/blogs/blog.aspx?redirCnt=1&webtag=fw-designforum
                Jean-Franco

                Jean-Franco

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • tinanneT
                  tinanne
                  last edited by

                  ok, I've tried it several times and read the tutorial. What am I missing..... trying to do an array.

                  Executive Director : American Society of Architectural Illustrators
                  AIP 30 Competition opens soon. ASAI.org

                  Architectural Rendering

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • ToboboT
                    Tobobo
                    last edited by

                    Don't worry i had it hard at first to. Use Edson's skippy, and try 5x for multiple and /5 to divide the gap.

                    Keep trying it'll happen

                    Toby

                    Philippians 4:13

                    I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • EdsonE
                      Edson
                      last edited by

                      tina, who are you talking to?

                      and what exactly are you trying to do and cannot do?

                      edson mahfuz, architect| porto alegre • brasil
                      http://www.mahfuz.arq.br

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • tinanneT
                        tinanne
                        last edited by

                        I was talking to anyone 😄 I have tried this before awhile ago and now again, but have never been able to get it to work.

                        I'm not doing it for any specific project. Just want to know how to do it as the occasion arises.

                        Thanks for your help 😄

                        oh, just trying to do a circular array of any ole' object 😄

                        Executive Director : American Society of Architectural Illustrators
                        AIP 30 Competition opens soon. ASAI.org

                        Architectural Rendering

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • G
                          Gidon Yuval
                          last edited by

                          Here's a little tutorial. The methode is the same for linear or radial arrays.
                          Hope it helps.

                          Array tut.skp

                          If you don't know where you're going, you're never going to get there.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • L
                            linea
                            last edited by

                            Thanks, Susan, Gidon, Edson.

                            I had tried this before but could'nt really get the hang of it. I have a project to draw a fountain that will involve lots of concentric circular arrays. I can't wait to get on with it now! I'd struggle to draw a box if it wasn't for this forum.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • EdsonE
                              Edson
                              last edited by

                              bravo, gidon. much more precise than the one i posted above.

                              the same principles explained by gidon in his tut on linear arrays apply to radial ones: just instead of a distance one would enter an angle.

                              edson mahfuz, architect| porto alegre • brasil
                              http://www.mahfuz.arq.br

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • GaieusG
                                Gaieus
                                last edited by

                                @unknownuser said:

                                ...the same principles explained by gidon in his tut on linear arrays apply to radial ones: just instead of a distance one would enter an angle.

                                or start the copy/rotate by hand, snap to an endpoint on the circle and then hit the x-something or /-something... Good to create radial arrays that perfectly align to your (customly segmented) circles.

                                Gai...

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • tinanneT
                                  tinanne
                                  last edited by

                                  WooHoo! I did it! Thank you so much Gidon!! and Edson! Very cool! 😄

                                  Executive Director : American Society of Architectural Illustrators
                                  AIP 30 Competition opens soon. ASAI.org

                                  Architectural Rendering

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • G
                                    Gidon Yuval
                                    last edited by

                                    Good for you, Tina!
                                    I don't know if you did a linear array or a circular array so I thought I'd add a circular array tutorial just to be on the safe side.

                                    Circular array tut.skp

                                    http://www.sketchucation.com/forums/scf/sas/Newbie/Tutorial JPEG.jpg

                                    If you don't know where you're going, you're never going to get there.

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • ToboboT
                                      Tobobo
                                      last edited by

                                      Ooooooo! Clever

                                      Toby

                                      Philippians 4:13

                                      I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • tinanneT
                                        tinanne
                                        last edited by

                                        Thanks again Gidon. I did the circular array. I just wasn't typing the "formula" in the right order. Very cool, I'm exciting. This will make placing corbels on a turret MUCH easier!

                                        Executive Director : American Society of Architectural Illustrators
                                        AIP 30 Competition opens soon. ASAI.org

                                        Architectural Rendering

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • GaieusG
                                          Gaieus
                                          last edited by

                                          @tinanne said:

                                          ...Very cool, I'm exciting...

                                          Hm...
                                          😒

                                          Gai...

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • tinanneT
                                            tinanne
                                            last edited by

                                            LOL! WOOPS! 😳

                                            Executive Director : American Society of Architectural Illustrators
                                            AIP 30 Competition opens soon. ASAI.org

                                            Architectural Rendering

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 1 / 2
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement