sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Click-drag-release vs. click-move-click

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Newbie Forum
    sketchup
    17 Posts 12 Posters 3.2k Views 12 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • S
      sorgesu
      last edited by

      with most tools I was click releasing, moving click to finish.
      There were exceptions, notably the Push Pull tool.
      When I started training I was encouraged to get rid of all such bad habits, and though it was difficult to make the change, I got used to it fairly quickly and must admit that inferencing the push pull when you hands are loose and you are not dragging with the left button down, is actually much easier.

      The only tool you must drag of course is the freehand tool. I do make one exception. I always drag the offset tool. I find that it is so sensitive that when I click release I have finished the offset before I intended to. So I drag that one.

      Susan Sorger
      Former Seller Hand Rendered Entourage
      Former Canadian Authorized Training Centre, SketchUp

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • R
        robmoors
        last edited by

        I dont know never really tought about it but now when you mention it, I use a click move click normally, but when using push pull, follow me, scale, and offset I use click drag, mustve transferred over from other 3D programs.

        My advice use whatever comes natural to you and don't think about it.

        Rob Moors
        Architecture Student

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • N
          not registered yet
          last edited by

          I didn't realize there was an option there. I'm excited to try it out. I think I'd prefer the non-dragging edit as Sorgesu has talked about. I can see where that would be easier, especially using the push/pull.

          P: AcousticGarden

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • boofredlayB
            boofredlay
            last edited by

            @sorgesu said:

            ...I do make one exception. I always drag the offset tool. I find that it is so sensitive that when I click release I have finished the offset before I intended to. So I drag that one.

            I am with you on this one Susan. The offset is really annoying at times.

            Click move click is my method of choice.

            http://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • GaieusG
              Gaieus
              last edited by

              I also use click-move-click from the very beginning exactly for those reasons; orbiting and panning in the meanwhile sometimes to get an inference point makes it easier for me.
              But the best way is what you get used to and what is convenient for you.

              Gai...

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • B
                Bill Wilson
                last edited by

                Too many choices mean too many problems, why isn't everything simple? Like me! πŸ˜›
                Cheers & Beers
                Bill

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • R
                  rsw
                  last edited by

                  I use the click-move-click method for nearly everything.
                  This is the way i've always used it from when I first tried SU (ver 3 I think) but its probably because of using other programs like autocad before SU and is therefore what I'm most used to and comfortable with.

                  Richard

                  http://img.userbars.pl/98/19554.png

                  http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/671GUAMDUDE/Animated---User-Green.gif

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • S
                    SchreiberBike
                    last edited by

                    Looks like click-move-click is the way to go then. I'll keep on adapting.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • Jean LemireJ
                      Jean Lemire
                      last edited by

                      I folks.

                      I use click-move-click nearly all the time for the same reasons that have been written by others (ability to pan, zoom, orbit, change scene, change rendering mode, etc, during the move).

                      Dont forget that you can also use press-drag-release even if the other method is enabled.

                      Just ideas.

                      Jean (Johnny) Lemire from Repentigny, Quebec, Canada.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • N
                        not registered yet
                        last edited by

                        After playing around with it, I like that it will auto-detect what you're trying to do, so you could conceivably use a combination of both methods.

                        P: AcousticGarden

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • N
                          not registered yet
                          last edited by

                          While we're on the topic, has anyone else come across problems with bluetooth mice. The wheel button doesn't orbit or pan(shift) somehow?
                          I've tried regular and USB mice and they all seem to work.

                          P: ACZero

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • O
                            otb designworks
                            last edited by

                            Try setting your scrollwheel button to 3 in your preferences. I am using a bluetooth Logitech mouse with my Macbook Pro and this is what worked for me. No mouse drivers necessary.

                            Cheers, Chuck

                            OTB Designworks is on Youtube

                            6 core nMP, 32 gig RAM, (2) D700 GPU's, dual monitors

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • ToboboT
                              Tobobo
                              last edited by

                              I use a mixture of both, to honest i don't really think about it. I just do it.

                              Toby

                              Philippians 4:13

                              I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • N
                                not registered yet
                                last edited by

                                Thanks Chuck,

                                I tried setting the scrollwheel button to 3 and then installing the software later. Both methods didn't work. How frustrating! 😠

                                Is your mouse the Logitech V270 Cordless Optical Bluetooth?

                                Cheers.

                                P: ACZero

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • D
                                  dylan
                                  last edited by

                                  Slightly off topic, but ACZero that is just the best avatar! πŸ˜„

                                  http://dmdarchitecture.co.uk/

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • N
                                    not registered yet
                                    last edited by

                                    Thanks Dylan,

                                    I thought our familiar friend needed some new groovy gear and party a little. Might even make him my default dude. 😎

                                    P: ACZero

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0

                                    Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                    Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                    With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                    Register Login
                                    • 1 / 1
                                    • First post
                                      Last post
                                    Buy SketchPlus
                                    Buy SUbD
                                    Buy WrapR
                                    Buy eBook
                                    Buy Modelur
                                    Buy Vertex Tools
                                    Buy SketchCuisine
                                    Buy FormFonts

                                    Advertisement