sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    [Tutorial > Modeling] How a Pro Builds a House in SU pt 2

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Tutorials
    sketchup
    47 Posts 23 Posters 42.8k Views 23 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • G
      Goggin
      last edited by

      Great thread!

      I just got into SketchUp a few weeks ago, and did a mock-up of my home renovation plans. It came out pretty good, but I sure wish I had seen this tutorial first. I learned a lot of what you're advising the hard way-- through making lots of stupid mistakes.

      I'm fortunate in that I'm starting with a .dwg file, so I don't need to trace anything. I look forward to rebuilding my house using your instructions.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • Larry BatesL
        Larry Bates
        last edited by

        This is a very cool post Krisidious, but where is part One? please. NEVER MIND just found the link. 😳

        Larry

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • GaieusG
          Gaieus
          last edited by

          Larry, here.

          Gai...

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • Larry BatesL
            Larry Bates
            last edited by

            Thanks Gaieus, got it.

            I have a question though, forgive me if it has been explained already. Why make the floorplan a texture? I import my plans as a picture file, then line it up on the x,y,z axis.

            Krisidious, I think building this way will solve a problem I have been having, trying to pushpull window cutouts in a wall that is not 90 degrees to the axis. Just have not been able to do it. YOur way looks like it should work. 😄

            This is a great tut. Got anything on using the sandbox tools? 🤓

            Larry

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • M
              mk11
              last edited by

              Very good tutorial - I'm very new to SU, so please excuse this question, but i got lost in step 4 - how can i extrude another face on top of the door volume? tried drawing a new face on top of the door, but i always pull the original volume.

              thx a lot

              Marc Kleinmann
              SU Pro 2015
              Mac & Win

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • GaieusG
                Gaieus
                last edited by

                Hi M(arc?),

                Try to hit the Ctr key first to create a new face while using the Push/Pull tool (if I understand your question well)

                Gai...

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • M
                  mk11
                  last edited by

                  thx a lot - that's it.
                  Marc

                  Marc Kleinmann
                  SU Pro 2015
                  Mac & Win

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • GaieusG
                    Gaieus
                    last edited by

                    That's what? The "Marc" or the Ctrl!Push/Pull?
                    😉

                    Gai...

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • J
                      jvh
                      last edited by

                      is part 1 of "how a pro....a house in su" still available?

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • R
                        remus
                        last edited by

                        jvh: http://www.sketchucation.com/forums/scf/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=723

                        http://remusrendering.wordpress.com/

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • J
                          jvh
                          last edited by

                          thanks for the link. I am a newby and hope this will help me get starting. What's bothering me most is the stickiness of SU, being used to proframs like Vectorworks and Autocad.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • O
                            Odlanier
                            last edited by

                            %(#008040)[Hello Gaieus, José Manuel, hello everyone.

                            I just a most interesting tutorial on how to do a SU model from a jpg file. Very thorough and clear. I learnet a lot from it. Cograts to Krisidious.]

                            We have only one Earth, Our children maybe just a half, theirs perhaps none; do something for our planet.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • A
                              anuradha_vellineni
                              last edited by

                              Tut is great.but i am a beginer.How to trace in sketchup?

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • GaieusG
                                Gaieus
                                last edited by

                                Just grab the pencil tool and start drawing on the surface of the image.
                                Try to align your image as close to the axes as possible so that you can make use of axis inference rather than fight with it.

                                Gai...

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • D
                                  denhom
                                  last edited by

                                  Good morning all.

                                  I've searched, but cannot seem to find the third part of this great tutorial. Any help would be appreciated.

                                  Dennis

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • R
                                    remus
                                    last edited by

                                    there isnt a third part yet, fingers crossed it will be coming soon.

                                    http://remusrendering.wordpress.com/

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • N
                                      nomicrowave
                                      last edited by

                                      Any progress on Part 3? I learned so much from Parts 1 & 2!

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • B
                                        bmunsell
                                        last edited by

                                        So...... all we need now for Part 4 😆 is a set of similar simple turtorials that explain how to use (autocad, progecad - insert your cad program of choice) to come up with the constuction documents from our beautiful and fun to create Sketchup models.

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • B
                                          boofos23
                                          last edited by

                                          I work for a realestate company and we are trying to learn how to better use sketchup to create floorplans. I see that you are rather knowledgable about the program and was wondering if you having any advice. I have no problem with making the outline but am unaware about line thickness for the scale of the wall. Also was wondering if i could skan my graph paper and draw over it. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • B
                                            boofos23
                                            last edited by

                                            I work for a realestate company and we are trying to use sketch up to create floorplans. Is this the right program and do you know where to find tutorials on how adjust line thickness.

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 3
                                            • 2 / 3
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement