sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    โš ๏ธ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    A Welcome Message to New SketchUcation Members

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Newbie Forum
    sketchup
    1.4k Posts 667 Posters 1.2m Views 667 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • TIGT
      TIG Moderator
      last edited by

      Opal

      Welcome!
      Nice cake! ๐Ÿ˜„
      You can attach image files [and many other common file-type too] directly to your post [look below the typing pane for the options...].
      There's a ~4Mb limit per item, and you can attach zipped files if they are 'disallowed' or otherwise too large... When posting an image please keep the size sensible [i.e. it should easily fit on a PC screen!] because some members have quite slow connections... and slow-loading things will annoy them!

      TIG

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • opalO
        opal
        last edited by

        Thanks for the welcome TIG and Rich. I'm so used to anything over 500px square being a no no on forum boards, that I just do the link as habit.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • TIGT
          TIG Moderator
          last edited by

          โ˜€
          The 'good manners' image-size is usually around 1000x800.
          Using 'outside links' can also be annoying to some members, if they have slow-connections, odd-locales or restricted access-rights etc. So I recommend attaching reasonably sized versions of you images directly to your posts.
          Of course, please be sensible - one, two or three pictures of your creations will usually suffice [we don't want the "holiday-snaps" syndrome... where our members' eyes glaze-over whilst scrolling through your 'book' of posted images ๐Ÿ˜‰ ]

          TIG

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • opalO
            opal
            last edited by

            also glazes over on those kind of posts

            I only do that for noob tuts

            will go edit the link to a pic

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • opalO
              opal
              last edited by

              hi
              I'm opal.. in lotsa places on the web. I started using sketchup about a year ago. I love it. Unlike some other 3D modeling programs I can SEE the interface. I was directed here - also last year but have not posted before (I don't think so anyway)
              I just wanted to say thanks to everybody in here for all the advise to others and plugins that make this program so blasted functional.
              One tutorial said to get the feel of the program, make something simple - like a box or square chair - so built a 4 tier with pillars wedding cake- round and decorated with ribbons of flowers on the layers. The poly count was upwards of 7 digits when I got through.. but it was awesome to make.
              Cake pic..... before applying textures

              http://i28.tinypic.com/2vkxea0.jpg

              Can't learn a program from scratch without first playing with all the tools ๐Ÿ˜„

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • B
                Bio981
                last edited by

                Hello, my name is Flavio and I am a new user of sketchup! I hope to learn a lot with you!

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • D
                  delliddell
                  last edited by

                  Thanks for the welcoming message! I'm relatively new to sketchup, and I'm taking a class to learn more about it.
                  I hope that this networking system will be helpful as well as what I learn in class.

                  Mario

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • B
                    bobbyem3
                    last edited by

                    Hello SketchUcation,

                    I am starting a class that uses sketchup. It looks like a helpful tool and am looking forward to learning more about the program.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • GaieusG
                      Gaieus
                      last edited by

                      Hi guys, it seems that two new user who go to classes are here. What sort of classes are they?

                      Gai...

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • troyhomeT
                        troyhome
                        last edited by

                        @gaieus said:

                        Hi guys, it seems that two new user who go to classes are here. What sort of classes are they?

                        It's a course i teach at Andrews University in Michigan. We learn SketchUp, Photoshop, and inDesign and then whatever else the students may have an interest in. It's a semester long course and one of the requirements is to become a member of this forum; it's a wonderful place for help and a great environment in which to learn. Thanks for welcoming each beginner who joins!

                        IOviz.com
                        SU Pro 2024 PC

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • GaieusG
                          Gaieus
                          last edited by

                          Hi Troy,

                          Well, a very good requirement - I will suggest it to other teachers as well!
                          ๐Ÿ˜„

                          Anyway, glad you are still around and teaching SU! ๐Ÿ‘

                          Gai...

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • D
                            dmorrill22
                            last edited by

                            Hi, my name is Doug Morrill.

                            I would like to know if there is a plugin available that will change the texture or color of an object (such as a group or component) with timing. I want to create a strobe light setup for a pickup truck model, and be able to vary the flash patterns. Is this possible, or would it be fairly simple to program? I have never done any programming before, so learning Ruby or something would take quite a while.

                            Thanks for the help,
                            Doug

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • O
                              obkcaptain
                              last edited by

                              Hi everyone
                              New (very new) on Sketchup, and old (62, very old), I've discovered a simply way to modelling 3D. Mac user with OS Lion, I had some problems rendering SKU's files properly. Kerkythea doesn't install on my Mac under Lion, but...I keep my laptop, wich (running the old XP) had received it ok.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • numbthumbN
                                numbthumb
                                last edited by

                                Youยดre never too old for this ๐Ÿ˜„ Welcome abroad!

                                Comfortably numb...

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • Jean LemireJ
                                  Jean Lemire
                                  last edited by

                                  Hi folks.

                                  See this thread in SketchUp Help forum:

                                  Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

                                  favicon

                                  (www.google.com)

                                  Just ideas.

                                  Jean (Johnny) Lemire from Repentigny, Quebec, Canada.

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • boofredlayB
                                    boofredlay
                                    last edited by

                                    Welcome.

                                    http://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • R
                                      Roger
                                      last edited by

                                      Welcome junior.

                                      http://www.azcreative.com

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • V
                                        Vicspa
                                        last edited by

                                        Welcome, from someone slightly older. It's never too late

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • T
                                          tjl
                                          last edited by

                                          Hello,

                                          I am a new user to both SU and this forum. I am a landscape contractor/designer, I design using Dynascape Design and I design for others in the US and Canada. I have come to use SU from Dynascape Design, which launched their 3D verison this year. As luck would have it, my first project happens to be a large and complicated commercial design. I have spent over 20 hrs so far and started over once and I probably will need another 8+ hrs to finish, big learning curve.

                                          I look forward to learning SU and to use it as another way to present my landscape designs. I also look forward to viewing some of the posts (when I have time), so in advance, thank you for this forum.

                                          Tom Lacey
                                          Virginia

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • TIGT
                                            TIG Moderator
                                            last edited by

                                            @dmorrill22 said:

                                            Hi, my name is Doug Morrill.
                                            I would like to know if there is a plugin available that will change the texture or color of an object (such as a group or component) with timing. I want to create a strobe light setup for a pickup truck model, and be able to vary the flash patterns. Is this possible, or would it be fairly simple to program? I have never done any programming before, so learning Ruby or something would take quite a while.
                                            Thanks for the help,
                                            Doug
                                            There's nothing available that I can think of...
                                            However by using instances on various layers and switching them ON/OFF you could mimic the effect using the Animation or Timer API methods...
                                            Perhaps post a more detailed request in the Developers'/Plugins[Req] forums... with some images etc to attract attention...

                                            TIG

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better ๐Ÿ’—

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 52
                                            • 53
                                            • 54
                                            • 55
                                            • 56
                                            • 72
                                            • 73
                                            • 54 / 73
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement