sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Is SketchUp Now Open-Source? Trimble Won't Like This

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Corner Bar
    44 Posts 12 Posters 1.5k Views 13 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • P
      pixelcruncher Extension Creator @Krass
      last edited by

      @Krass Do you mind sending me the model so I can have a look?

      I'm the developer of Rayscaper: https://rayscaper.com/ - Fast and easy rendering for SketchUp.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • KrassK
        Krass
        last edited by

        Yes I Will do it tomorrow late morning

        Krass

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • Mike AmosM
          Mike Amos
          last edited by

          The browser version is a bit limited memory wise but that is normal for the course from what I have seen out there.

          Absentia mortis praesentiam vitae probat, vita autem est argumentum constantiae.

          P 1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • P
            pixelcruncher Extension Creator @Mike Amos
            last edited by

            @Mike-Amos Fair enough, I will have a desktop version available soon. I also have a limited browser version, so I can deploy fixes to users immediately, especially at this early stage. Releasing a new desktop version is always more hassle, and it requires users to upgrade.

            I'm the developer of Rayscaper: https://rayscaper.com/ - Fast and easy rendering for SketchUp.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 1
            • jujuJ
              juju
              last edited by

              So Trimble SketchUp went after IngeTrazo...

              Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 1
              • KrassK
                Krass
                last edited by

                Trimble's pettiness is unparalleled

                Krass

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 2
                • Mike AmosM
                  Mike Amos
                  last edited by

                  TBH, not an issue worth worrying about. Plenty of other formats out there.

                  Absentia mortis praesentiam vitae probat, vita autem est argumentum constantiae.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • KrassK
                    Krass
                    last edited by

                    Yes, but I lose the hierarchy and the model groups. I tested DAE and GLB. But I'm not an expert on those formats. In any case, to re-import them into SU, you need to use the "Universal Importer" extension.

                    Krass

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • N
                      numerobis
                      last edited by

                      I think it should be possible to build a plugin for exporting SKP files... 😉
                      https://openskp.com/

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • jujuJ
                        juju
                        last edited by

                        Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 2
                        • Mike AmosM
                          Mike Amos
                          last edited by

                          I think folk need to stop using the term "Open source Sketchup" lest the little niggles become a thing of the past and Trimble grind this into the dust.
                          Be in no doubt that goading the Lion WILL result in legal consequences that ruin lives rather than days so, folks, smarten up.
                          Trimble have legal and financial resources you cannot properly even dream of.

                          Absentia mortis praesentiam vitae probat, vita autem est argumentum constantiae.

                          D 1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • D
                            diredjo @Mike Amos
                            last edited by

                            @Mike-Amos said:

                            I think folk need to stop using the term "Open source Sketchup" lest the little niggles become a thing of the past and Trimble grind this into the dust.

                            in description video to introduce may still okay probably, but not on the title indeed. I guess related to gain massive viewer is the reason.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • Mike AmosM
                              Mike Amos
                              last edited by

                              Best not to bet the farm on "Probably" lest Trimble go all "Sharp pencil" on them.

                              Some years ago royal mail went postal on the bbc for damaging their intellectual property, in this case their name, and the bbc lost big time. If that can happen to a large government corporation the small guys are done and I mean done to CRISPY done.

                              Absentia mortis praesentiam vitae probat, vita autem est argumentum constantiae.

                              D 1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • jujuJ
                                juju
                                last edited by

                                Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • D
                                  diredjo @Mike Amos
                                  last edited by

                                  @Mike-Amos this condition similar with AutoCAD,, how about this? what Autodesk can do? nothing.

                                  2026-10-02 03_34_55-AutoCAD Alternative _ Vectorworks and 5 more pages - Profile 1 - Microsoft​ Edge.png

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 1
                                  • KrassK
                                    Krass
                                    last edited by

                                    It's not bad at all—it's like a more sophisticated version of Lattice Maker, though it's still schematic 3D. For realistic 3D rendering, I have my own window library packed with detail—and handles, too!

                                    Krass

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0

                                    Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                    Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                    With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                    Register Login
                                    • 1
                                    • 2
                                    • 3
                                    • 3 / 3
                                    • First post
                                      Last post
                                    Buy SketchPlus
                                    Buy SUbD
                                    Buy WrapR
                                    Buy eBook
                                    Buy Modelur
                                    Buy Vertex Tools
                                    Buy SketchCuisine
                                    Buy FormFonts

                                    Advertisement