sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Medeek Project

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Plugins
    93 Posts 3 Posters 10.8k Views 4 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • medeekM
      medeek
      last edited by

      First look at the Floor Plan printed output (11x17 Ledger):

      project_su106_800.jpg

      Nathaniel P. Wilkerson PE
      Medeek Engineering Inc
      design.medeek.com

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 1
      • medeekM
        medeek
        last edited by

        The API connector/bridge seems to be working, just need to do some more testing and also add the roof:

        project_su108_800.jpg

        project_su109_800.jpg

        Nathaniel P. Wilkerson PE
        Medeek Engineering Inc
        design.medeek.com

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • medeekM
          medeek
          last edited by

          First look at a very basic DXF export of the Floor Plan. I now have my own DXF export engine, it may prove useful.

          project_su115_800.jpg

          Nathaniel P. Wilkerson PE
          Medeek Engineering Inc
          design.medeek.com

          1 Reply Last reply 👍
          Reply Quote 0
          • medeekM
            medeek
            last edited by

            The first attempt was a bit crude in my opinion. After some fiddling with fonts and dimensions things look a bit more presentable:

            project_su122_800.jpg

            Nathaniel P. Wilkerson PE
            Medeek Engineering Inc
            design.medeek.com

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • medeekM
              medeek
              last edited by

              I'm trying to get it to slow down so you can see the step by step build process.

              garage_builder1.gif

              Nathaniel P. Wilkerson PE
              Medeek Engineering Inc
              design.medeek.com

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • medeekM
                medeek
                last edited by

                Version 1.2.7 - 07.29.2026

                • Added the Medeek Builder toolbar
                • Added the "Draw Garage" tool to the Medeek Builder toolbar.
                • Added a print option (floor plan only) to the Garage Builder Tool.
                • Added a DXF Export option (floor plan only) to the Garage Builder Tool.
                  Enabled the Garage Builder so that it can fully interact with the Medeek API calls: Wall, Truss and Foundation.

                Note that in order to use this new feature the latest versions of the Wall, Truss and Foundation extensions will be required.

                Nathaniel P. Wilkerson PE
                Medeek Engineering Inc
                design.medeek.com

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • medeekM
                  medeek
                  last edited by medeek

                  Tutorial 7 - Garage Builder (16:14 min.)

                  This tutorial introduces the new Garage Builder tool for the Medeek Project Plugin. The tool provides an intuitive floor-plan interface where users can configure a four-wall garage, drag and position garage doors, man doors and windows, preview each elevation, and adjust basic wall, roof and slab-on-grade options.

                  Garage plans can be saved and reused along with their project data and additional wall settings. The Garage Builder also supports architectural-scale printing, PDF output, adjustable grid snapping and 2D DXF export. Once the design is complete, the tool uses the Medeek Wall, Truss and Foundation APIs to generate fully editable native Medeek assemblies directly within SketchUp.

                  This initial release is intended as a proof of concept, with additional roof, foundation and advanced configuration options planned for future updates.

                  Nathaniel P. Wilkerson PE
                  Medeek Engineering Inc
                  design.medeek.com

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • medeekM
                    medeek
                    last edited by medeek

                    From the get go the Garage Builder was a proof of concept, and it does seem to work reasonably well. However, I'm now contemplating creating a slightly more complicated version of this tool called the House Builder. I will probably initially not include the roof or foundations for the first iteration and primarily focus on the wall layout engine (that is what is most important).

                    Thoughts? Is there any interest for such a tool?

                    In some way it may resemble what Chief Architect does, you create your layout in 2D, fully dimensioned and then like the Garage Builder it can with the push of a button translate that into a full 3D model on demand.

                    The current algorithms that produce the DXF or printed drawing (PDF) will need to be further developed and augmented so that we can auto-dimension a much more complex floor plan, this should become very interesting.

                    The goal is to be able to create, at a minimum, something like this in the House Builder tool:

                    HOUSE5655_FLOORPLAN_REVA3_2400.jpg

                    I've also been giving the auto-dimensioning some serious thought and even as attractive as this may seem, there will always be cases where the user will need to manually intervene and add or subtract dimensions. So I will need to build some sort of user driven dimensioning system that will allow manual override but somehow coexist with a fully automated dimensioning system.

                    In addition to dimensions we will also need to enable some sort of annotation system with text blocks and text with leaders (this is giving me AutoCad vibes).

                    This in and of itself is a full on project, we may have to take this in stages.

                    Nathaniel P. Wilkerson PE
                    Medeek Engineering Inc
                    design.medeek.com

                    1 Reply Last reply 👍
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • medeekM
                      medeek
                      last edited by

                      The House Builder is a fair bit more complicated than the Garage Builder so I have my head buried in the code for a few days with little to show for all my work. Here is a first look at some of the interface with a few random walls arranged for testing.

                      project_su142_800.jpg

                      Notice the Start and End markers, similar to the Wall plugin. These will be an optional feature that can be toggled on or off. This is turning out to be a very interesting project and also quite challenging.

                      Nathaniel P. Wilkerson PE
                      Medeek Engineering Inc
                      design.medeek.com

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 1
                      • medeekM
                        medeek
                        last edited by

                        First look at some walls with dimensions added:

                        project_su155_800.jpg

                        I was going to setup an auto-dimension algorithm. However after building the manual dimension tool I found it so easy to use that I don't really see a reason to bother with auto dimensioning. What you see here I was able to do in about 2-3 minutes.

                        project_su156_800.jpg

                        Nathaniel P. Wilkerson PE
                        Medeek Engineering Inc
                        design.medeek.com

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • medeekM
                          medeek
                          last edited by

                          I still have some rough edges to work on in the UI but progress is being made:

                          house_builder1.gif

                          house_builder2.gif

                          All dimensions are associative, there is no concept of an orphaned dimension, however I may eventually change my mind on that. The nice thing about associative dimensions is that when you change the location of a wall or opening all of the dimensions auto-update.

                          Nathaniel P. Wilkerson PE
                          Medeek Engineering Inc
                          design.medeek.com

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • medeekM
                            medeek
                            last edited by

                            Starting to work on the updated Elevations tab. Remember this is simply for preview purposes and not really designed to give a high fidelity (rendered) views of the structure/house.

                            project_su170_800.jpg

                            project_su171_800.jpg

                            Also I haven't even started with the roof yet. I'm still trying to figure out how involved I want to make that. I could just have it take the wall perimeter and build a complex roof (all hip) using my weighted straight skeleton algorithm. Additionally I could also allow the user the ability to modify certain roof planes (ie. gable, dutch gable, half hip etc...) I will need to give this some additional thought.

                            The same applies to the foundation (SOG vs. Stemwall) and then if a stemwall we need a floor framing plan. Also what do we do with a multi-story house? I think I've opened another can of worms.

                            Nathaniel P. Wilkerson PE
                            Medeek Engineering Inc
                            design.medeek.com

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • medeekM
                              medeek
                              last edited by

                              I've also added a "visibility reference" icon/tool. This allows one to not only toggle off the grid but also to toggle on or off the 1st level walls below the 2nd level walls. This should aid in lining up walls on different levels.

                              project_su192_800.jpg

                              project_su193_800.jpg

                              I'm also working on multi-levels, so things are getting interesting.

                              project_su191_800.jpg

                              Nathaniel P. Wilkerson PE
                              Medeek Engineering Inc
                              design.medeek.com

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 1
                              • medeekM
                                medeek
                                last edited by

                                Adding the ability to move edges and vertices:

                                house_builder5.gif

                                project_su200_800.jpg

                                Nathaniel P. Wilkerson PE
                                Medeek Engineering Inc
                                design.medeek.com

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • medeekM
                                  medeek
                                  last edited by

                                  We can also add and delete vertices:

                                  house_builder6.gif

                                  Nathaniel P. Wilkerson PE
                                  Medeek Engineering Inc
                                  design.medeek.com

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • medeekM
                                    medeek
                                    last edited by

                                    After adding some geometry: Rim Board, Sill Plate, Opening Headers and Joists.

                                    project_su208_800.jpg

                                    Nathaniel P. Wilkerson PE
                                    Medeek Engineering Inc
                                    design.medeek.com

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • medeekM
                                      medeek
                                      last edited by

                                      We also need to be able to create annotations with and without leaders.

                                      project_su214_800.jpg

                                      Nathaniel P. Wilkerson PE
                                      Medeek Engineering Inc
                                      design.medeek.com

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • medeekM
                                        medeek
                                        last edited by

                                        We also now a have a rudimentary line tool to manually draw in extraneous geometry or create tables etc... The line weight, line type and line color can be set, very similar to AutoCAD.

                                        project_su222_800.jpg

                                        Nathaniel P. Wilkerson PE
                                        Medeek Engineering Inc
                                        design.medeek.com

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • Rich O BrienR
                                          Rich O Brien Moderator
                                          last edited by

                                          Is this a standalone app?

                                          Download the free D'oh Book for SketchUp 📖

                                          medeekM 1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • medeekM
                                            medeek
                                            last edited by

                                            I’ve only invested about a week’s worth of my time and energy into this new House Builder tool/app. I’m excited that I’ve been able to move it along quite quickly, thanks to the work I had already done with Garage Builder. I will need to circle back actually and add some of this increased functionality into the Garage Builder but for now my focus is on the House Builder since it is the more general tool.

                                            I am really hoping that this tool will be as useful and well adopted as I think it will be. To that end I am investing quite a bit of time into it and will probably spend at least a couple more weeks sorting out all the intricacies of wiring up complex roofs and multi foundation types. I think we almost have the floor framing portion completed.

                                            With the addition of more common drafting style tools (ie. dimensions, callouts, text, text /w leaders and lines) the tool has become much more interactive and the user experience or UI will be of paramount importance. I don’t want this tool to feel clunky so it may require a few iterations to fine tune these tools until they are a “joy to use”.

                                            I think I will probably release an update of the plugin even before I’ve waded into the foundations and roofs so that the power users can begin poking and prodding this thing and expose its weaknesses

                                            Nathaniel P. Wilkerson PE
                                            Medeek Engineering Inc
                                            design.medeek.com

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 3
                                            • 4
                                            • 5
                                            • 4 / 5
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement