sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    SketchUp 2015 is 64bit

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Discussions
    sketchup
    302 Posts 74 Posters 115.5k Views 74 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • D
      d12dozr
      last edited by

      @SU team, thanks for a great release. Glad to see Trimble taking the program in a fresh direction.

      3D Printing with SketchUp Book
      http://goo.gl/f7ooYh

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • david_hD
        david_h
        last edited by

        I just got it and installed. I'm really late to the game. .. .again. Any tricks or traps to bringing over my plugins folder from V8?

        (yes. .. I was still on V8 πŸ’š )

        If I make it look easy...It is probably easy

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • BoxB
          Box
          last edited by

          @david_h said:

          I just got it and installed. I'm really late to the game. .. .again. Any tricks or traps to bringing over my plugins folder from V8?

          (yes. .. I was still on V8 πŸ’š )

          DON'T copy over old plugins.

          Install the sketchucation plugin and then auto install all new from there.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • Dave RD
            Dave R
            last edited by

            @david_h said:

            I just got it and installed. I'm really late to the game. .. .again. Any tricks or traps to bringing over my plugins folder from V8?

            (yes. .. I was still on V8 πŸ’š )

            Boy! You sure are late to the game. πŸ˜‰ As Box said, don't. Simple as that.

            Etaoin Shrdlu

            %

            (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

            G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

            M30

            %

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • david_hD
              david_h
              last edited by

              @box said:

              @david_h said:

              I just got it and installed. I'm really late to the game. .. .again. Any tricks or traps to bringing over my plugins folder from V8?

              (yes. .. I was still on V8 πŸ’š )

              DON'T copy over old plugins.

              Install the sketchucation plugin and then auto install all new from there.

              Yeah. . .I was afraid of that. Darn it. πŸ˜’

              If I make it look easy...It is probably easy

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • david_hD
                david_h
                last edited by

                @dave r said:

                @david_h said:

                I just got it and installed. I'm really late to the game. .. .again. Any tricks or traps to bringing over my plugins folder from V8?

                (yes. .. I was still on V8 πŸ’š )

                Boy! You sure are late to the game. πŸ˜‰ As Box said, don't. Simple as that.

                And that is why I didn't upgrade with 13, 14, whatever. I didn't want to slog thru all the plugsin and crap .. .again. Looks like a fun day for me!

                D

                If I make it look easy...It is probably easy

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • BoxB
                  Box
                  last edited by

                  With the plugin store you can just work away and install them as you find you need them.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • david_hD
                    david_h
                    last edited by

                    Yeah. I know. But I'm not good at this. Kinda Ironic for a "Top Sketchucator" n'st-ce pas? πŸ’š

                    If I make it look easy...It is probably easy

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • hellnbakH
                      hellnbak
                      last edited by

                      Hey, if I can do it, anybody can πŸ˜†

                      And it's really worth the effort!

                      "Politicians are just like diapers -- they need to be changed often, and for the same reason"

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • david_hD
                        david_h
                        last edited by

                        So I am doin' the whole "Plugin store Thing"(thanks Rich for the video) I did know that much. But it gives an "Extensions" directory rather than the good ol' plugins tab.

                        what about old but beloved little plugins with .rb extensions.. Can I just move them into the extensions directory? I can't just create a plugins directory it seems. And do i need to re-download and re-isntall my renderers? Podium, twilight, thea. .. etc etc etc? Thanks for the help

                        and the patience. I'm just out of practice. I don't do this much anymore. Version 8 you know. πŸ˜„

                        D

                        If I make it look easy...It is probably easy

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • D
                          driven
                          last edited by

                          @david_h said:

                          ... Version 8 you know. πŸ™‚

                          definitely start fresh and download everything new...
                          have fun
                          john

                          learn from the mistakes of others, you may not live long enough to make them all yourself...

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • BoxB
                            Box
                            last edited by

                            To put it simply,
                            Plugins are now called extensions.
                            Use the Plugin Store from within SU to install whatever plugins you want from there.
                            Use the Extension Warehouse from within SU to install anything you want from there.
                            Any other plugins from elsewhere should be install in the appropriate manner.
                            .rb dropped into the plugin folder.
                            .rbz installed via the preferences/extension window
                            .zip unzipped into the plugin folder
                            .exe via their own installer
                            The default plugin folder can now be found at
                            C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2015\SketchUp\Plugins

                            Renderers will need to be reinstalled, some don't have updates yet.
                            Some plugins won't work, but most are being updated or there is something similar available.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • david_hD
                              david_h
                              last edited by

                              Thanks Guys. I appreciate it.

                              D

                              If I make it look easy...It is probably easy

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • Chris FullmerC
                                Chris Fullmer
                                last edited by

                                @david_h said:

                                So I am doin' the whole "Plugin store Thing"(thanks Rich for the video) I did know that much. But it gives an "Extensions" directory rather than the good ol' plugins tab.

                                SketchUp 2015 changed the name of the "Plugins" menu to be the "Extensions" menu. No real difference, we're just working towards getting all our developers to register their 'plugins' as 'extensions'. It is not actually related to whether an extension is distributed as just a .rb file, or a .rbz or a .zip. Its just some calls they have to make in their code. Point is, don't be alarmed by the Extensions menu, its just a name change πŸ˜„ Old .rb files will still shot up in that menu, even though they used to show up in the Plugins menu.

                                @david_h said:

                                what about old but beloved little plugins with .rb extensions.. Can I just move them into the extensions directory? I can't just create a plugins directory it seems.

                                It is very hit-or-miss as to which ooold .rb plugins can be copied over and still work. That is why you really really have to install them via the Extension Warehouse, the SketchUcation plugin store, or smustard, just so you make sure you are getting the most recent version. Then if you still have some .rb extensions that you can't live without, just copy them into your plugins folder like you used to. Just do it sin small batches. If one doesn't work, it might pop up a loading error. then you'll know which one failed, and you won't be able to carry that one forward. In that case, all you can do is track down the author and try to get an update, or try a different plugin with same functionality.

                                @david_h said:

                                And do i need to re-download and re-install my renderers? Podium, twilight, thea. .. etc etc etc? Thanks for the help

                                These are are ones that you will most definitely have to re-download their newest version, that is specifically compatible with SU 2015. Most extensions that have their own installers do things to your system that simply copying their plugin files from one version of SU to the next is bound to fail. So yeah, a good rule of thumb is that if it has its own installer, it definitely cannot simply be copied.

                                Hope that helps!

                                Chris

                                Lately you've been tan, suspicious for the winter.
                                All my Plugins I've written

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • david_hD
                                  david_h
                                  last edited by

                                  Hey Chris! thanks for the reply. I feel like a newbie today. Cuz. .I kinda am.

                                  I am resigned to just reload everything. I'll muddle thru somehow. πŸ˜„
                                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O8gTIr4lys
                                  So .. .Chris. . .they treatin' ya okay over there in the land of Sketchup? You likin' that new gig?

                                  If I make it look easy...It is probably easy

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • quimQ
                                    quim
                                    last edited by

                                    "Ons Gaan Nou Braai" an old South African Expression for we going to have a party (BBQ).
                                    Eish dis x64 is moving. loving it.

                                    WEBSITE http://www.q-prodesigns.co.za

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • Dave RD
                                      Dave R
                                      last edited by

                                      @david_h said:

                                      And that is why I didn't upgrade with 13, 14, whatever. I didn't want to slog thru all the plugsin and crap .. .again. Looks like a fun day for me!

                                      D

                                      Think of it as a good opportunity to do some housekeeping. Don't install those old plugins you never used anyway.

                                      Etaoin Shrdlu

                                      %

                                      (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                                      G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                                      M30

                                      %

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • david_hD
                                        david_h
                                        last edited by

                                        That is true. I am doing a lot of housekeeping on plugins. I think I was up to 24,764. I only use about 12.

                                        If I make it look easy...It is probably easy

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • Dave RD
                                          Dave R
                                          last edited by

                                          There you go! That's one or two plugins you won't need to download. πŸ˜„

                                          Etaoin Shrdlu

                                          %

                                          (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                                          G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                                          M30

                                          %

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • david_hD
                                            david_h
                                            last edited by

                                            Still having a bit of an issue getting Thea and Podium to show up. But I'm working on it.

                                            EDIT Well,. .. just got Thea. . .now onto podium

                                            If I make it look easy...It is probably easy

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 5
                                            • 6
                                            • 7
                                            • 8
                                            • 9
                                            • 15
                                            • 16
                                            • 7 / 16
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement