sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Jellyfish

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Gallery
    28 Posts 10 Posters 3.2k Views 10 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • novenaN
      novena
      last edited by

      cool image Rich!! is it rendered with cycles or internal??

      http://hdzarkitektur.wordpress.com/

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • Rich O BrienR
        Rich O Brien Moderator
        last edited by

        Cycles

        Download the free D'oh Book for SketchUp πŸ“–

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • novenaN
          novena
          last edited by

          thanks! seems that it worths every cent the citizenship... πŸ˜„

          http://hdzarkitektur.wordpress.com/

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • Rich O BrienR
            Rich O Brien Moderator
            last edited by

            Completely.

            Download the free D'oh Book for SketchUp πŸ“–

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • pbacotP
              pbacot
              last edited by

              Cool. YOU did this? All in Blender?

              MacOSX MojaveSketchUp Pro v19 Twilight v2 Thea v3 PowerCADD

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • Rich O BrienR
                Rich O Brien Moderator
                last edited by

                @pbacot said:

                Cool. YOU did this? All in Blender?

                I did all the modeling based on the tutorial and tweaked the materials different to what was suggested.

                Also I added the volumetrics and plankton particles differently.

                If I was asked to create this from scratch in Blender off my own steam then I would still be scratching my head.

                Things like the Chroma Abberation were tricks provided in tutorial that made the image come to life. The actual rendered output was pretty poor until you were shown how to use the compositor to add the extra fluff.

                So, I would say 10% is my tweaking and 90% is down to great instruction.

                Image 2.png

                There is some raw Blender.

                Download the free D'oh Book for SketchUp πŸ“–

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • A
                  angelia
                  last edited by

                  Cool modeling!

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • Bryan KB
                    Bryan K
                    last edited by

                    Very nice!

                    I have Blender and attempted to teach myself a few years ago. I will probably attempt to once again as my future projects need motion and hey, nothing wrong with knowing more than one 3D program, right?

                    But that will be a few more years away. I am determined to master SU first and that is going take those years.

                    See my portfolio at https://delphiscousin.blogspot.com/

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • olisheaO
                      olishea
                      last edited by

                      Excellent work Rich πŸ‘ If you get stung I will happily pee on you. πŸ˜„

                      oli

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • Rich O BrienR
                        Rich O Brien Moderator
                        last edited by

                        @Oli

                        Thanks, I'll remember that next time I visit Manchester.

                        Download the free D'oh Book for SketchUp πŸ“–

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • BoxB
                          Box
                          last edited by

                          What consenting adults do in the privacy of their own homes is scary where you guys come from...............

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • olisheaO
                            olishea
                            last edited by

                            Apparently urine makes a jellyfish sting worse. Oops!

                            Gotta say I'm impressed by the volume effects rich, I thought it was composited at first. Great stuff!

                            oli

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • Rich O BrienR
                              Rich O Brien Moderator
                              last edited by

                              The volumetric was separate to the render of the jellyfish.

                              That is why Blender is so flexible. Everything was a separate render. Composited in Blender.

                              I really think Blender is on the cusp of greatness.

                              Download the free D'oh Book for SketchUp πŸ“–

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • soloS
                                solo
                                last edited by

                                Well I bit the bullet and got subscribed with Lynda.com(like the whole vaping thing where I spent a fortune at the start so I was forced to continue, spending money on tutorials will guarantee one actually uses them, free stuff is easy to give up on), gotta say Lynda tutorials are great, I just got the beginner stuff, nothing crazy, watched them all once, now going through a second time following all lessons so hopefully it sticks in my head. I hardly ever use shortcut keys as I have a navigator mouse which is pretty useless with Blender as there are just too many shortcuts to program, now I need to learn the keys and where everything is hidden. I must say however once you get going Blender is not as scary as I once thought.

                                http://www.solos-art.com

                                If you see a toilet in your dreams do not use it.

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • Rich O BrienR
                                  Rich O Brien Moderator
                                  last edited by

                                  That's great news!

                                  I'd also recommend checking out BlenderGuru. He has some tuts I'd know you would like.

                                  Download the free D'oh Book for SketchUp πŸ“–

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • soloS
                                    solo
                                    last edited by

                                    @rich o brien said:

                                    That's great news!

                                    I'd also recommend checking out BlenderGuru. He has some tuts I'd know you would like.

                                    I certainly will, once I get the basics, I had a hard time figuring out how to get out of the render window back into 3D edit mode. πŸ’š

                                    Setting up camera's right now has me frustrated, I know, it's early days, however I was able to make a fluid particle flow into a tea cup (my 3D priorities need to be reevaluated)

                                    http://www.solos-art.com

                                    If you see a toilet in your dreams do not use it.

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • Rich O BrienR
                                      Rich O Brien Moderator
                                      last edited by

                                      Hit N to bring up the panel and set Lock Camera to View

                                      Download the free D'oh Book for SketchUp πŸ“–

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • StinkieS
                                        Stinkie
                                        last edited by

                                        Rich, is Blender able to import SU components as instances? Saw a mate do that with C4D last week, via collada. Pretty nifty. If Blender could do that ... I might take a closer look at the app.

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • Rich O BrienR
                                          Rich O Brien Moderator
                                          last edited by

                                          Hi Tom,

                                          Exporting as .dae from SketchUp with Component Hierarchy checked will bring components into Blender.

                                          Image 5.png

                                          When imported into Blender the vertices are unwelded usually so hit TAB to go into Edit Mode, Hit A to select all geometry and the hit W to bring up Specials menu and choose Remove Doubles.

                                          Image 6.png

                                          That will fix any issues with the geometry.

                                          NOTE - Nested Components are not supported. If you import something that is nested then you'll get Empties. I think it has to do with how SketchUp places Component Axis and I haven't found a work around yet. Well, I have but it is a bit involved.

                                          But when you import top level components there's no problem.

                                          Top Tip - Because Blender names everything Instance-## it can get annoying trying to select components. But all you need to do is select the component you want to target and hit SHIFT+L to select it's Linked objects.

                                          Then hit ALT+J to remove Tris and you are ready to UV Map and texture.

                                          Hope that helps

                                          Download the free D'oh Book for SketchUp πŸ“–

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • StinkieS
                                            Stinkie
                                            last edited by

                                            It does. πŸ‘

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 1 / 2
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement