sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Making multiple holes in a cylinder

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Newbie Forum
    sketchup
    8 Posts 4 Posters 971 Views 4 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • G
      GrahamForbes
      last edited by

      I need to make a filter box with endplate and cylindrical sides. Imagine a can of baked beans with many small holes in the end and cylindrical body. Endplate (flat surface) I have achived that, but how do I make maybe 100 holes in the cylindrical body. I can Intersect and I can use a second cylinder, making both groups, but it would be very time consuming and difficult to be accurate with either method. I have hundreds of these holes to make. HELP!!

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • Dave RD
        Dave R
        last edited by

        I can think of several options. You could make a small portion of the cylinder with just a few holes and then copy that to make an array or you could make your array of holes on a flat sheet and use Shape Bender to bend it or you could use a texture instead of "real" holes.

        Holes.png
        From the lower left:

        A section with a couple of holes.
        Copied around the center in a radial array.
        Copied upward with a linear array.

        Unneeded faces and edges cleaned up as you go.

        Etaoin Shrdlu

        %

        (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

        G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

        M30

        %

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • cottyC
          cotty
          last edited by

          Following Daves suggestion, you can make a component of the little section and hide the lines around that part. This way, you can change the holes easily afterwards...


          filter.jpg

          my SketchUp gallery

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • G
            GrahamForbes
            last edited by

            @dave r said:

            I can think of several options. You could make a small portion of the cylinder with just a few holes and then copy that to make an array or you could make your array of holes on a flat sheet and use Shape Bender to bend it or you could use a texture instead of "real" holes.

            [attachment=0:2vvs9p7k]<!-- ia0 -->Holes.png<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment:2vvs9p7k]
            From the lower left:

            A section with a couple of holes.
            Copied around the center in a radial array.
            Copied upward with a linear array.

            Unneeded faces and edges cleaned up as you go.

            Thanks Dave, I am working on this, shape bender seems a great option.Thks.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • G
              GrahamForbes
              last edited by

              @cotty said:

              Following Daves suggestion, you can make a component of the little section and hide the lines around that part. This way, you can change the holes easily afterwards...

              Again, great ideas, I shall try this one, many thanks Cotty.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • Dave RD
                Dave R
                last edited by

                @cotty said:

                Following Daves suggestion, you can make a component of the little section and hide the lines around that part. This way, you can change the holes easily afterwards...

                Thanks for that addition, Carsten. I should have included the component thing. That's what I did in my illustration, too.

                @grahamforbes said:

                ...shape bender seems a great option.Thks.

                Actually, it's not the best option for this application.

                Etaoin Shrdlu

                %

                (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                M30

                %

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • cottyC
                  cotty
                  last edited by

                  @dave r said:

                  Thanks for that addition, Carsten. I should have included the component thing. That's what I did in my illustration, too.

                  I was shure you did πŸ˜‰

                  my SketchUp gallery

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • BoxB
                    Box
                    last edited by

                    Shall we predict the problems he may have with using shapebender, it won't go all the way around, the holes distort.......

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0

                    Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                    Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                    With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                    Register Login
                    • 1 / 1
                    • First post
                      Last post
                    Buy SketchPlus
                    Buy SUbD
                    Buy WrapR
                    Buy eBook
                    Buy Modelur
                    Buy Vertex Tools
                    Buy SketchCuisine
                    Buy FormFonts

                    Advertisement