sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Designing the site for oil separation

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Gallery
    25 Posts 18 Posters 3.8k Views 18 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • R
      raineysky
      last edited by

      Great job Redfox11. That is the kind of drawings I would love to learn how to do!!! Please do show more.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • R
        redfox11
        last edited by

        @hellnbak said:

        So this is designed to be functional? I mean, each pipe in the model has a specific function, not there just for show?

        Yes, this is functional model, I made it for purpose of oil separation. I used flow chart and pipe and instrumentation diagram ( i took part in design of this object). My oil and gas department (where i work) isnt large and we havent money for expensive Autoplant or PDS so I desided to use free SketchUp to design piping and equipment.

        http://sketchupengineering.blogspot.com/

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • hellnbakH
          hellnbak
          last edited by

          @redfox11 said:

          @hellnbak said:

          So this is designed to be functional? I mean, each pipe in the model has a specific function, not there just for show?

          Yes, this is functional model, I made it for purpose of oil separation. I used flow chart and pipe and instrumentation diagram ( i took part in design of this object). My oil and gas department (where i work) isnt large and we havent money for expensive Autoplant or PDS so I desided to use free SketchUp to design piping and equipment.

          Thanks. This just keeps getting more impressive. Now, just one more dumb question and then I'll leave you alone - what is "oil separation"? Separating the various grades of oil?

          "Politicians are just like diapers -- they need to be changed often, and for the same reason"

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • R
            redfox11
            last edited by

            @hellnbak said:

            @redfox11 said:

            @hellnbak said:

            what is "oil separation"?

            Shortly - we need to separate well fluids produced from oil and gas wells into gaseous and liquid components.
            Separation can be carried out in several stages. You may burn the resulting gas or you may prepare it and use as fuel for electric station.

            http://sketchupengineering.blogspot.com/

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • R
              redfox11
              last edited by

              @slimdog said:

              What kind of drawings are you supplying? Structural or piping? Got any examples?

              I`m both piping and mechanical engineer so my job is to suply drawings of piping.
              But to find collisions I need structural drawings, so in this model I used help of structure engineers from my department.

              I can show some examples of final drawings, which I received by 2D export from SketchUp in AutoCAD. The application of the text, dimensioning, I performed in AutoCAD.

              Common view with simple service areas

              Common view in SketchUp working area

              Plan in SketchUp prepared for 2D export

              Exported 2D plan. I use colors to separate elements by layers

              Final result of the work in AutoCAD. Piping drawing.

              Section plain 1-1 after 2D export

              Final section plane 1-1 with text and dimensions.

              http://sketchupengineering.blogspot.com/

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • Mike LuceyM
                Mike Lucey
                last edited by

                😲

                Support us so we can support you! Upgrade to Premium Membership!

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • mojtabata2001M
                  mojtabata2001
                  last edited by

                  wow the model is so big and complicated! well done

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • cheddaC
                    chedda
                    last edited by

                    Excellent work 😮

                    Kraken Wrangler https://www.flickr.com/photos/132441293@N03/

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • RichardR
                      Richard
                      last edited by

                      Nice job on the pipe work mate, I know myself just how hard this would be without the option of SU and NOT end up with an issue somewhere!

                      Reminds me of a job given to me as a drafty and still a teenager. I had to do all the layout drawings, pipework, steel fabrication, concete and reo details and scheduling and ALL BY HAND and with just drawing board and calculator - problem was the project was 4 cylindrical tanks with conicle roofs and octagonal walkways / access around the top and landing on the cone. BY HAND WT_? For a kid! Talk about thrown in the deep end!

                      @pbacot said:

                      Excellent, Excellent!

                      Great to see your work.

                      Given your subject matter you might look at other methods of rendering, ala
                      Iakov Tchernikov...

                      Peter

                      Wow - I'd love to see that too!

                      BUILTBRAND.COM.AU

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • B
                        backlit
                        last edited by

                        it must have been worth the effort in 2012? was Layout not available for the 2D layout. Wonder how the data associated with the entities were managed. Was it pluggins and ruby script?

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • Bryan KB
                          Bryan K
                          last edited by

                          Holy cow that is some impressive work!

                          See my portfolio at https://delphiscousin.blogspot.com/

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0

                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                          Register Login
                          • 1
                          • 2
                          • 2 / 2
                          • First post
                            Last post
                          Buy SketchPlus
                          Buy SUbD
                          Buy WrapR
                          Buy eBook
                          Buy Modelur
                          Buy Vertex Tools
                          Buy SketchCuisine
                          Buy FormFonts

                          Advertisement