sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Sketchup and iMac

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Discussions
    sketchup
    18 Posts 9 Posters 2.6k Views 9 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • C
      chloesdad
      last edited by

      nVidia cards have always worked well for me over the years. They are very responsive to updating drivers and keeping their cards reliable.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • thomthomT
        thomthom
        last edited by

        Mind you, my recommendation is in terms of Windows systems. Now sure how the drivers behave under OSX.

        Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
        List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • M
          moeamaya
          last edited by

          We use the last generation iMac 27" i5 with the ATI 4850 video card. We experienced zero problems and we literally run SU 10 hours a day with 20-30 different plugins and 100mb site models. In fact I'll be heading to grad school in a month and I plan to buy the same computer for my extensive SU use.

          Caveat: I have a Thinkpad t60 with ATI Firegl card and it has all sorts of weird display issues. Its my understanding that ATI and SU problems where mostly limited to the past.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • thomthomT
            thomthom
            last edited by

            @moeamaya said:

            Caveat: I have a Thinkpad t60 with ATI Firegl card and it has all sorts of weird display issues. Its my understanding that ATI and SU problems where mostly limited to the past.

            I think they where worse. But I've had some very recent good ATI cards, high end of the HD series. And I had a few glitches in OpenGL apps.

            Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
            List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • kmeadK
              kmead
              last edited by

              I have never had any problems with ATI cards on a Mac. The ATi versus Nvidia issue was pretty much only a MSW issue.

              I would however order the best card offered with the most ram available, the machine should last a long time and graphics demands rise faster than most other systems requirements. The next iteration of MacOS will offload more to the graphics card as well.

              I run SU on a 2.0 ghtz Mini with 4gb of ram and it does well most of the time given the limited graphics card. My 3 year MacBook Pro with an Ati card and 3gb of ram does much better with larger models an ostensibly less VRAM ( 128 vs 256 on the Mini). A dedicated card is much better than any on board solution so far.

              I created Dilbertville, sorry about that...

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • GaieusG
                Gaieus
                last edited by

                True.

                There used to be some issues with some ATI cards in the past but they were probably fixed (either by driver updates or new generation of cards) so this nVidia vs. ATI seems to be an obsolete comparison with modern cards.

                Keep in mind that the OpenGL requirement of SU is way behind what some really powerful cards can perform nowadays but as SU is not development to the highest-end technology (hardware), they cannot afford releasing newer versions to the top-hardware on the market. A fairly good, medium range card should be compliant enough.

                Gai...

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • thomthomT
                  thomthom
                  last edited by

                  @gaieus said:

                  There used to be some issues with some ATI cards in the past but they were probably fixed (either by driver updates or new generation of cards) so this nVidia vs. ATI seems to be an obsolete comparison with modern cards.

                  As I mentioned - not quite. The card I had was high-end and I had the latest drivers.

                  Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                  List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • U
                    Ultimatez 32
                    last edited by

                    Hi Guys,

                    Looks like I'll be getting the 27" iMac then with the ATI Radeon, that is, if the ATI problem is just a MSW problem. Thanks for all the help guys.

                    ultimatez

                    Windows 7 64-bit, Intel Core i3 M350 @2.27GHz, nVidia GEFORCE 310M 512Mb with CUDA, 4gb RAM

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • T
                      tim
                      last edited by

                      I have one of the early-09 24" iMacs with the Radeon 4850 graphics and there haven't been any problems at all that I have noticed. SU runs very nicely indeed.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • D
                        dylan
                        last edited by

                        @ultimatez 32 said:

                        Hi Guys,

                        Looks like I'll be getting the 27" iMac then with the ATI Radeon, that is, if the ATI problem is just a MSW problem. Thanks for all the help guys.

                        ultimatez

                        Would be useful if you post your findings here once you have the machine.

                        http://dmdarchitecture.co.uk/

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • U
                          Ultimatez 32
                          last edited by

                          Sure, of course Dylan!

                          Windows 7 64-bit, Intel Core i3 M350 @2.27GHz, nVidia GEFORCE 310M 512Mb with CUDA, 4gb RAM

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0

                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                          Register Login
                          • 1 / 1
                          • First post
                            Last post
                          Buy SketchPlus
                          Buy SUbD
                          Buy WrapR
                          Buy eBook
                          Buy Modelur
                          Buy Vertex Tools
                          Buy SketchCuisine
                          Buy FormFonts

                          Advertisement