sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    An exercise: DRAWING A PARISIAN FENCE

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Discussions
    sketchup
    115 Posts 16 Posters 133.6k Views 16 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • simon le bonS
      simon le bon
      last edited by

      Dear Pilou,
      thanks for this Jean Pierre Petit's link. 😄

      (When I was young, I was a wild and rebel, and bad student. I don't know why I want to understand everything like I do by now) ❓ 😒

      First a trick concerning a problem I have met: When I wanted to reconstruct the complex set of spirals by copy/rotate the basic section, that produced here and there some micro-cuts in the continuity of the lines.
      I have used StrayLines to locate and label them 👍

      http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/Spendauballet/SketchUp/EndlessBowl_014_th.jpg

      Repair,

      http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/Spendauballet/videos/StrayLIneRepair.gif

      >I want to understand better how the spiral works:
      1)taking back my model
      24 sided circle; 32 segmented face shape; each segment is 24 subdivided.
      Each 360° turn of the shape describes completely one of the 32 face's segments.
      24 single edges are necessary to achieve this single revolution.

      Consequently, the entire spiral is made by 32 turns and no edge is used two times.
      and we find effectively 32X24=768 edges

      http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/Spendauballet/SketchUp/EndlessBowl_015_th.jpg

      1)taking back Taff's model

      Each 360° turn of the shape uses 60 edges (because of the 60 sided based circle).

      The entire spiral needs 3 complete turns of the shape to be totally described.

      3X60= 180 edges of the spiral.

      Each edge of the basic section (90 edges) is used two times.

      2X90= 180 edges of the spiral.

      As I can understand the law of this:

      1. the shape must make a number of entire 360° turns
      2. the complet set of edges(included into the basic section) must be used a complete number of times.
      3. the number of edges used in the number of complete turns must meet the number of edges constituting the basic section used to produce the spiral.

      here: 60X3=180=90x2


      http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/Spendauballet/SketchUp/EndlessBowl_016_th.jpg

      to be verified!

      🤓 simon

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • pilouP
        pilou
        last edited by

        I believe that is the same problem for what Tig had made his True Tangents plug
        Circles or helix ar not real circle, just polysegments aproximation , so in the 3D space there are some losses of precision after some turns 😉

        I have remarked that with my previous try above, I had must corrected by hand the join continuity! 😒 😉

        Frenchy Pilou
        Is beautiful that please without concept!
        My Little site :)

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • ely862meE
          ely862me
          last edited by

          Hmm so much theory ..what i did was simple,make a spring,make a copy of it,take a spring and adjust it with ffd(remember to let the top and bottom points untouched) in order to make from it the inside part of the spiral, after this take the other one and flip it along in order to continue(descend on the outside) the first one,then play with ffd on it in order to make the exterior part of the spiral(remember to let the top and the bottom points untouched).Then i used lines to tube plugin. And that s kind of it!
          Ah..and before working them with ffd i flattened(with ffd) the top and bottom spires of the springs to make a smooth transition from a spire to another.


          infinite spiral a.skp

          Elisei (sketchupper)


          Before no life was done on Earth it was THE LIFE ITSELF...GOD
          Come and See EliseiDesign

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • TaffGochT
            TaffGoch
            last edited by

             
            Colors help identify the six separate (yet identical) loop components:

            Rainbow_spiral_toroid.png

            -Taff

            "Information is not knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • simon le bonS
              simon le bon
              last edited by

              @Ely,

              Hi Ely, I like your way: searching for simple and quick processes 😎 your solutions are refreshing 👍
              SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation) is a good deal for sure 👍 👍
              [Plugin] SketchyFFD (Updated Aug 22, 2009) by CPhillips
              SketchyFFD (Updated 9 Feb 2010) revisited by gbabcock
              Making springs:
              How to make spiral 02 by SketchUp
              SketchUp: KitoRaupp_Pottery
              (May be you can do a little more effort to explain in few several steps in your Skp rather than just show the result 😄 )

              http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/Spendauballet/SketchUp/ElySoluce.jpg
              👍

              @Taff

              Hi Taff (I have noticed you are from the early morning, and I'm waiting my own awakening to read your posts 😉 ) Thank you for your colored exemples. I guess the same treatment as you've done with your Geodesic Weave Ball should be also very great 😉

              http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/Spendauballet/SketchUp/th_Weave_chipped.jpg

              Additionally, I would invite people to visit carefully your warehouse collections they are mines 👍 👍 👍

              • and don't forget the "Help Group Discussion" 😉

                http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/Spendauballet/SketchUp/th_TaffGochWareh.jpg

              ☀ simon
              re: what a great thread!!

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • TaffGochT
                TaffGoch
                last edited by

                 
                More torus segments produce results that better approximate the original images.
                (Well, duh!) 😆

                Torus_spiral.jpg
                Model available at 3D Warehouse

                -Taff

                "Information is not knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • TaffGochT
                  TaffGoch
                  last edited by

                   
                  Simon,

                  I tried the chipped-paint texture, but it was too "busy," and was a visual distraction.

                  A simple texture looks good though, when rendered:

                  SpiralRender.jpg
                  -Taff

                  "Information is not knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • simon le bonS
                    simon le bon
                    last edited by

                    Dear Taff,

                    Simple is the best; it is a "réussite" . I see it in 2D, spirit relaxing.
                    (But is it so simple? I mean about the discrete raw of light)

                    'Cause you seem also from late in the night, I wish U a good one.

                    😉 simon

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • simon le bonS
                      simon le bon
                      last edited by

                      @simon le bon said:

                      As I can understand the law of this:

                      1. the shape must make a number of entire 360° turns
                      2. the complet set of edges(included into the basic section) must be used a complete number of times.
                      3. the number of edges used in the number of complete turns must meet the number of edges constituting the basic section used to produce the spiral.

                      and
                      4)the number of entire 360° turns of the shape must be the minimum one (sorry for bad explanation. I think it is the meaning of :"Least common multiple" )
                      (It doesn't make sens for the basic shape to go around more than the necessary number!)

                      @unknownuser said:

                      to be verified!!!!

                      I take back Taff's model to make a try to validate my thoughts


                      http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/Spendauballet/SketchUp/EndlessBowl_017_th.jpg


                      http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/Spendauballet/SketchUp/EndlessBowl_018_th.jpg


                      http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/Spendauballet/SketchUp/EndlessBowl_019_th.jpg

                      Not bad what do you think! 😎 slb

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • TaffGochT
                        TaffGoch
                        last edited by

                        Simon,

                        I didn't pursue the precise defining of the calculations, but I sensed the general concept of the relationships.

                        When I started on my second model, I roughly estimated a "longitude-to-latitude" ratio that should (might) produce a more-complex, tighter spiral with less slope, and six loops.

                        As an intellectual pursuit, yours is a good mental exercise. (Perhaps, if it were mid-winter, and I was snowed-in, then I would have time to wrestle with a precise definition.) 😆

                        -Taff

                        "Information is not knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • simon le bonS
                          simon le bon
                          last edited by

                          @taffgoch said:

                          (Perhaps, if it were mid-winter, and I was snowed-in, then I would have time to wrestle with a precise definition.) 😆

                          😆

                          End of the exercise I suppose 😉

                          simon!

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • simon le bonS
                            simon le bon
                            last edited by

                            by Cosycat

                            http://www.webdesignmash.com/trial/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/davidope10.gif

                            👍 😉 sim

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • TaffGochT
                              TaffGoch
                              last edited by

                               
                              Cosycat's animated image is inspiring. I thought I'd give it a try, too:

                              http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss233/taffgoch/Torus_Spiral.gif

                              -Taff

                              [ EDIT: I see that Cosycat's image is a creation of David Ope. ]
                              http://www.adaptcreative.co.uk/...
                              http://dvdp.tumblr.com/...

                              "Information is not knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • simon le bonS
                                simon le bon
                                last edited by

                                Hi Taff! impressive***

                                Can you say a little about your technique and the softs you're using? Please!
                                (and very nice links 😉 )

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • ely862meE
                                  ely862me
                                  last edited by

                                  @simon le bon said:

                                  Hi Taff! impressive***

                                  Can you say a little about your technique and the softs you're using? Please!

                                  Looks like sketchup physics and a screen recorder(camstudio maybe).

                                  Taff if u used Camstudio,please let me know ur settings ,i can t make it record that smoother.
                                  Thanks!

                                  Elisei (sketchupper)


                                  Before no life was done on Earth it was THE LIFE ITSELF...GOD
                                  Come and See EliseiDesign

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • R
                                    Roger
                                    last edited by

                                    Do not, I repeat "DO NOT" stare at these images for 15 minutes and then try to walk down the stairs!

                                    http://www.azcreative.com

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • TaffGochT
                                      TaffGoch
                                      last edited by

                                      @unknownuser said:

                                      Do not, I repeat "DO NOT" stare at these images for 15 minutes and then try to walk down the stairs!

                                      😆 Not to mention just walking across the room, without losing your lunch! 😆

                                      -Taff

                                      "Information is not knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • TaffGochT
                                        TaffGoch
                                        last edited by

                                        Simon & Elisei,

                                        I tried using Camstudio, initially, but the results were poor. Camstudio is easy, but doesn't always provide quality results. It's great, for what it is intended, but there is a better option for a "looped" animation of limited frames -- GIF animation software. (This animation is composed of only 15 frames.)

                                        I created the frames from SketchUp 2D exports, rotating the torus 2° each interval, producing 30° total rotation. (This matches the model component rotation of one spiral "tube" to the next.)

                                        I kept the SketchUp viewpoint constant, and rotated the torus, to avoid any camera positioning problems. I could have established 15 camera locations, to produce 15 scenes, but the way I did it was quicker. (Creating 15 camera/scene postions, however, does have the advantage that they can be saved in the model file, for subsequent use.)

                                        I assembled the 15 frames into a GIF animation, using JASC "Animation Shop," which I bought (cheap) over ten years ago. It's my understanding that COREL bought-out JASC. The older "Animation Shop" (vs 3) can be downloaded from several online sites, or you can use one of the MANY other freeware GIF animators, available online.

                                        [NOTE: I used the same technique to create my avatar.]

                                        -Taff

                                        "Information is not knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • S
                                          Simon B
                                          last edited by

                                          Well, it works for me.

                                          More inspiration here

                                          😉

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • ArcA
                                            Arc
                                            last edited by

                                            Play with tours and component stringer.
                                            tours11.jpg
                                            tours12.jpg

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 3
                                            • 4
                                            • 5
                                            • 6
                                            • 6 / 6
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement