sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Leg for chair

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Discussions
    sketchup
    26 Posts 8 Posters 3.0k Views 8 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • GaieusG
      Gaieus
      last edited by

      Check out (download) this tutorial about modelling a cabriole leg. It doesn't include the fan shapes but for a first step it will do.

      Gai...

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • G
        GLB
        last edited by

        Thanks Gaieus, I already got this great tutorial but cannot find any solution for the fan shapes edges and the fact that front part should be an arc !
        Looking forward to getting other suggestions, thanks

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • GaieusG
          Gaieus
          last edited by

          I think this TaperMaker plugin could help you with those shapes. You need to draw the path and apply the plugin. It works somewhat like the Follow me tool except you can give a value by which it will be "thinning".

          Gai...

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • G
            GLB
            last edited by

            Yes, seems interesting, I'll try and let you know the result, thanks

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • G
              GLB
              last edited by

              I did try the TapeMaker plugin, but couldn't find the way how to use my own profile for such leg ? If I use the ready made shapes, then how can I make the edges in fan shapes. Per attached the profile of leg I want to use. Thanks for your comments


              Image 2.png

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • Dave RD
                Dave R
                last edited by

                I think I could draw something like that. I'll do up a tutorial and post it.

                Etaoin Shrdlu

                %

                (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                M30

                %

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • boofredlayB
                  boofredlay
                  last edited by

                  Ok GLB, I made a tutorial here:
                  http://www.sketchucation.com/forums/scf/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18573

                  Hope it helps.

                  (Beat you Dave 😄 )

                  http://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • Dave RD
                    Dave R
                    last edited by

                    Nevermind.

                    Good work Eric.

                    Etaoin Shrdlu

                    %

                    (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                    G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                    M30

                    %

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • X
                      xrok1
                      last edited by

                      push\pull your shape, scale one end, then use shapebender; viola!

                      “There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.”

                      http://www.Twilightrender.com try it!

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • X
                        xrok1
                        last edited by

                        👍


                        cap.jpg

                        “There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.”

                        http://www.Twilightrender.com try it!

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • boofredlayB
                          boofredlay
                          last edited by

                          What does the mesh look like?

                          http://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • X
                            xrok1
                            last edited by

                            ➡


                            cap.jpg

                            “There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.”

                            http://www.Twilightrender.com try it!

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • Dave RD
                              Dave R
                              last edited by

                              Xrok's method is the method I was going to show. Works slick.

                              Curved Leg.png.jpg

                              Etaoin Shrdlu

                              %

                              (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                              G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                              M30

                              %

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • boofredlayB
                                boofredlay
                                last edited by

                                Yep, that works great as well. I just wonder about how much control you have if it needs to be precise.
                                I guess I am just a traditionalist 😄

                                http://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • Dave RD
                                  Dave R
                                  last edited by

                                  If you place the line and curve properly, I think this would be an accurate method. It's certainly fast.

                                  Etaoin Shrdlu

                                  %

                                  (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                                  G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                                  M30

                                  %

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • X
                                    xrok1
                                    last edited by

                                    yes, i think any method is as accurate as you care to make it. (unless you can create a random curve 😆 )

                                    “There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.”

                                    http://www.Twilightrender.com try it!

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • G
                                      GLB
                                      last edited by

                                      Many thanks to all of you, especially Eric with his great and clear tutorial.
                                      I do think that shape bender is the quickest solution but it seems that I have some problem with such plugin because cannot get any final result, maybe there's a bug ?
                                      So, I'll go back to work now and try to finalize such leg !

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • Chris FullmerC
                                        Chris Fullmer
                                        last edited by

                                        There definitly bugs in the script, but they shouldn't keep it from working. I can you figure out whats wrong with it if you want,

                                        Chris

                                        Lately you've been tan, suspicious for the winter.
                                        All my Plugins I've written

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • W
                                          watkins
                                          last edited by

                                          Further to another thread, perhaps someone (David?) could make a tutorial showing how shape bender may be used to make the complex shape of the chair leg.

                                          Regards,
                                          Bob

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • Dave RD
                                            Dave R
                                            last edited by

                                            Dear Bob,

                                            Were you referring to me? Would something like this work?

                                            Cheers,

                                            Dave

                                            Etaoin Shrdlu

                                            %

                                            (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                                            G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                                            M30

                                            %

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 1 / 2
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement