sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Pushpull won't cut window indouble surfaced wall

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Discussions
    sketchup
    21 Posts 8 Posters 2.6k Views 8 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • honoluludesktopH
      honoluludesktop
      last edited by

      Dale, What is interesting is that you are having this problem after you switched from v6 to v7. Did you change anything about the way you built the model that produced the dxf? If so you might be able to find a solution.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • C
        caddict
        last edited by

        I have noticed this problem since changing to version 7. The dxfs are exported from Cycas. I never had the problem with v6, but I've noticed it recently on the occasional wall. Could be a rounding issue with the dxf importer? just guessing.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • GaieusG
          Gaieus
          last edited by

          Have you tried to import this exact file in SU 6?
          In fact the "inaccuracy" is rather big in this case.

          Gai...

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • thomthomT
            thomthom
            last edited by

            @caddict said:

            I have noticed this problem since changing to version 7. The dxfs are exported from Cycas. I never had the problem with v6, but I've noticed it recently on the occasional wall. Could be a rounding issue with the dxf importer? just guessing.

            Is the drawing located near origin, or is it drawn with world co-ordinates? If it's drawn in world co-ordinates it can cause problems for SU with inaccuracy. Whenever I import at dwg or dxf into SU I always make a copy of the dwg/dxf and move everything I want to the origin and do a purge and audit in AutoCAD for safe measure.

            Thomas Thomassen β€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
            List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • plot-parisP
              plot-paris
              last edited by

              to get back to the original topic of this thread 🀣

              Gaieus, how strong is the average beer in Hungary? I ask because I once heard that in Germany a beer is considered 'non-alcoholic' when it contains less than 0.5% of alcohol, whereas in Russia a beer with up to something like 5% is still 'non-alcoholic'.
              now Hungary is about halfway from Germany to Russia. so I expect your beer to be quite strong. and therefore one Hungarian beer is equivalent to a lot more Buds... πŸ˜‰

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • GaieusG
                Gaieus
                last edited by

                Well, the "weak", local lagers start at about 4.8-5%. Weaker than that doesn't even deserve the name "beer".

                Gai...

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • thomthomT
                  thomthom
                  last edited by

                  @gaieus said:

                  Well, the "weak", local lagers start at about 4.8-5%. Weaker than that doesn't even deserve the name "beer".

                  Hear hear! πŸ˜„

                  Thomas Thomassen β€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                  List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • daleD
                    dale
                    last edited by

                    I want to make it clear that excess beer consumption had nothing to do with my inability to cut the window hole πŸ˜†

                    However, I was corrected by someone , who directed me to this sitehttp://www.fermentarium.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=291&Itemid=56

                    Which has an explanation as to the way American and Canadian beers measure their alcohol content and this chart:


                    Picture 5.jpg

                    Just monkeying around....like Monsanto

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • daleD
                      dale
                      last edited by

                      Now, as for the dxf.

                      Although I have found SU7 to be rather glitchy, I don't know if I can blame the problem on it. This dxf is from a colleague who actually uses Sopftplan, and to be quite honest, was one of the best dxf's I have received in terms of what had to be cleaned up in order to get things functioning well in SketchUp. The AutoCad drawings I get usually require a hell of a lot of review to be sure that walls meet, and are @ 90, or 45 degrees etc, etc. With them you should actually hook the computer directly to a 200 amp 240 volt circuit so that the "weld" ruby has a chance to work.
                      Partially though, that is because of the abilities of the person creating the file, as one colleague used to say "Garbage in, Garbage out".
                      Most of the walls in the file I had no problem with. The wall that gave me problems was on a 45 degree angle,if I remember correctly it was joined right at the corner with an interior wall that was a different thickness (2x4 vs 2x6), and probably the original Cad file joined them with this little discrepancy intact. Attached is a preliminary clay rendering I did of the file yesterday afternoon, so you can see that it worked out o.k.


                      Unit B clay and Glass 1.jpg

                      Just monkeying around....like Monsanto

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • plot-parisP
                        plot-paris
                        last edited by

                        I agree with you, Dale. most problems with dxf files occur, because the person drawing it didn't have a clue of the snap-modes of his software. therefore many lines are simply not joined at corners.

                        but one has to admit, that there is no program in the world (at least to my knowledge) with which it is as easy to actually join vertexes as with SketchUp with it's automatic snap modes and superb inferencing engine! and that is why we all love SketchUp!

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • daleD
                          dale
                          last edited by

                          Absolutely, and thats why wI would love to be able to do all - Cad drawings to model to rendering in SketchUp.
                          I often wonder why there seems to be some kind of protected turf when it comes to this.

                          Just monkeying around....like Monsanto

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0

                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                          With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                          Register Login
                          • 1
                          • 2
                          • 1 / 2
                          • First post
                            Last post
                          Buy SketchPlus
                          Buy SUbD
                          Buy WrapR
                          Buy eBook
                          Buy Modelur
                          Buy Vertex Tools
                          Buy SketchCuisine
                          Buy FormFonts

                          Advertisement