sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Gif support

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Feature Requests
    sketchup
    16 Posts 5 Posters 5.5k Views 5 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • thomthomT
      thomthom
      last edited by

      I was surprised to find there was no gif support. This would be nice to have.

      Thomas Thomassen β€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
      List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • R
        remus
        last edited by

        yeah, gif spport would be cool, would make applying short animations (billboard adverts etc) to surfaces really quick and easy.

        http://remusrendering.wordpress.com/

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • thomthomT
          thomthom
          last edited by

          Ah, yeah. forgot about the animation it of gifs. that'd be nice as well.
          however, I'm happy with static gif support as well. just so that I don't have to convert existing textures in gif format.

          Thomas Thomassen β€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
          List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • GaieusG
            Gaieus
            last edited by

            Hm... Little trick I learnt here: rename (just rename) the gif extension to png and try that way... πŸ˜’

            Gai...

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • R
              remus
              last edited by

              im guessing that trick wouldnt work for gif animations gai?

              http://remusrendering.wordpress.com/

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • GaieusG
                Gaieus
                last edited by

                No, no animated gifs this way.

                Gai...

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • thomthomT
                  thomthom
                  last edited by

                  Interesting.

                  I've found that you don't even have to rename it. Since GIF and PNG file formats got different structures I got an idea;
                  When you have the file dialogue window open, type in * in the filename textbox and hit the Enter key. Then all files will be listed and you can select and open your gif files.

                  So it appears that GIF support already exists, it's just the file dialogue that lacks the listing for the file format.

                  Thomas Thomassen β€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                  List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • GaieusG
                    Gaieus
                    last edited by

                    Hm... Even more interesting...

                    Gai...

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • thomthomT
                      thomthom
                      last edited by

                      So maybe this should be in the bug list instead?

                      Thomas Thomassen β€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                      List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • GaieusG
                        Gaieus
                        last edited by

                        As I remember GIF is not "officially" supported for some copyright reasons.

                        Gai...

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • thomthomT
                          thomthom
                          last edited by

                          Gif used to be patented and had to be licensed. But the patent expired some years ago now and is free to use.

                          Thomas Thomassen β€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                          List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • S
                            SpaceMan
                            last edited by

                            But you can create animatation maker for SketchUp texture

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • R
                              remus
                              last edited by

                              whats that spaceman? sounds interesting...

                              http://remusrendering.wordpress.com/

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • M
                                mpowell1234567890
                                last edited by

                                @thomthom said:

                                Interesting.

                                I've found that you don't even have to rename it. Since GIF and PNG file formats got different structures I got an idea;
                                When you have the file dialogue window open, type in * in the filename textbox and hit the Enter key. Then all files will be listed and you can select and open your gif files.

                                So it appears that GIF support already exists, it's just the file dialogue that lacks the listing for the file format.

                                How do I do it? I tried but see no animation..
                                Am I doing it right? * filename.gif

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • thomthomT
                                  thomthom
                                  last edited by

                                  @mpowell1234567890 said:

                                  @thomthom said:

                                  Interesting.

                                  I've found that you don't even have to rename it. Since GIF and PNG file formats got different structures I got an idea;
                                  When you have the file dialogue window open, type in * in the filename textbox and hit the Enter key. Then all files will be listed and you can select and open your gif files.

                                  So it appears that GIF support already exists, it's just the file dialogue that lacks the listing for the file format.

                                  How do I do it? I tried but see no animation..
                                  Am I doing it right? * filename.gif

                                  It only support static GIF images. No Animation. So it's actually a partial support of the GIF format.

                                  Thomas Thomassen β€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                                  List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • M
                                    mpowell1234567890
                                    last edited by

                                    Can they add this feature to Sketchup 7 as a wishlist?

                                    @thomthom said:

                                    @mpowell1234567890 said:

                                    @thomthom said:

                                    Interesting.

                                    I've found that you don't even have to rename it. Since GIF and PNG file formats got different structures I got an idea;
                                    When you have the file dialogue window open, type in * in the filename textbox and hit the Enter key. Then all files will be listed and you can select and open your gif files.

                                    So it appears that GIF support already exists, it's just the file dialogue that lacks the listing for the file format.

                                    How do I do it? I tried but see no animation..
                                    Am I doing it right? * filename.gif

                                    It only support static GIF images. No Animation. So it's actually a partial support of the GIF format.

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0

                                    Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                    Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                    With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                    Register Login
                                    • 1 / 1
                                    • First post
                                      Last post
                                    Buy SketchPlus
                                    Buy SUbD
                                    Buy WrapR
                                    Buy eBook
                                    Buy Modelur
                                    Buy Vertex Tools
                                    Buy SketchCuisine
                                    Buy FormFonts

                                    Advertisement