sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    โš ๏ธ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    A few of my models, used in the LAZARUS comic book

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Gallery
    74 Posts 22 Posters 26.3k Views 22 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • xayzerX
      xayzer
      last edited by

      @nlipovac said:

      So I really do not know words to compliment you on this. ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

      Thank you! You've succeeded in complementing me nevertheless ๐Ÿ˜„

      @kaas said:

      very nice!
      If I may; how does the collaboration go? You get a list of the models he needs?
      Who decides on the style / tech finishes of all the vehicles?
      Is it a ping-pong of ideas and revisions?

      That is a great question! After the artist (Michael Lark) receives the script for the new issue from the writer (Greg Rucka), he creates a list of vehicles, objects and interior/exterior settings he's going to need models for and sends it to me.

      As to who decides on the style/tech finishes, the answer is that it depends on the model. With some of them, I get very specific instructions and visual reference material that I should follow. On others I get a basic orientation as to what is required, and am given a carte blanche to do what I think would look good. I've been working for so long with the illustrator, that I have a good idea of what he needs, and major revisions are very rare.

      To give you an example, this is the quick sketch provided by the illustrator on which the Insectoid Spy Drone model is based:

      https://i.imgur.com/NU8fJgK.jpg

      Freelance Sketchup modeler, always looking for more work. Twitter: @Xayxer

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • M
        measuredmove
        last edited by

        A very unique and enviable job to have. So creative it must be very exciting when a new concept is started.

        My 3D Catalogue
        https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/collection/103ed44c-a0c4-4049-9a84-89cd017bcc07/Measured-Move
        SU8/Brighter3D/Gimp/SimLab Composer

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • xayzerX
          xayzer
          last edited by

          @measuredmove said:

          A very unique and enviable job to have. So creative it must be very exciting when a new concept is started.

          It's definitely exciting. Unfortunately, not all my work is like that. For my other main client I have to make hundreds upon hundreds of wooden crates with minor differences between each, then use complex equations to enter them into his proprietary crating software. It's quite mind-numbing.

          Lately I haven't had much work, so now I'm desperately looking for more.

          Freelance Sketchup modeler, always looking for more work. Twitter: @Xayxer

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • soloS
            solo
            last edited by

            Great stuff, looks like a ton of fun.
            Where are you located?

            http://www.solos-art.com

            If you see a toilet in your dreams do not use it.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • M
              measuredmove
              last edited by

              I hear you on soul-sucking jobs. Had a few of those but mostly in the CAD realm.
              Good luck with future jobs. Not that I know very much about story-boarding but perhaps your skills would work for commercials or TV production or animated versions for cartoons, perhaps of the work you do already.

              My 3D Catalogue
              https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/collection/103ed44c-a0c4-4049-9a84-89cd017bcc07/Measured-Move
              SU8/Brighter3D/Gimp/SimLab Composer

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • xayzerX
                xayzer
                last edited by

                @solo said:

                Great stuff, looks like a ton of fun.
                Where are you located?

                Thank you, solo!

                I'm located in Bulgaria, but over the years most of my clients have been from the States.

                @measuredmove said:

                Good luck with future jobs.

                Thank you!

                @measuredmove said:

                Not that I know very much about story-boarding but perhaps your skills would work for commercials or TV production or animated versions for cartoons, perhaps of the work you do already.

                I haven't actually been involved with the storyboarding, I just make the models and renders. But nowadays, I'll take any work that I can find.

                Freelance Sketchup modeler, always looking for more work. Twitter: @Xayxer

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • D
                  db11
                  last edited by

                  Wow! Amazing stuff!

                  I love both your super-cool models, and the incredible graphics that were created with them.

                  Hard to imagine that with all your talent, you're still lacking for work. Hope it picks up for you ๐Ÿ˜„

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • xayzerX
                    xayzer
                    last edited by

                    @db11 said:

                    Wow! Amazing stuff!

                    I love both your super-cool models, and the incredible graphics that were created with them.

                    Hard to imagine that with all your talent, you're still lacking for work. Hope it picks up for you ๐Ÿ˜„

                    Thank you, db11, much appreciated!

                    Here are another two exterior models, one of a marine station that has suffered a few missile strikes, and one of a docked ship in a Havana port:

                    https://i.imgur.com/mtWs99k.jpg

                    https://i.imgur.com/nHZ3adO.jpg

                    Freelance Sketchup modeler, always looking for more work. Twitter: @Xayxer

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • alvisA
                      alvis
                      last edited by

                      wuaa!! Just spectacular ๐Ÿ‘

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • pilouP
                        pilou
                        last edited by

                        Very cool result! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

                        No project to make the same in Virtual Reality for give more "true 3D" at this 2D story?
                        As you have yet the 3D models ! ๐Ÿ˜‰

                        Frenchy Pilou
                        Is beautiful that please without concept!
                        My Little site :)

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • xayzerX
                          xayzer
                          last edited by

                          @alvis said:

                          wuaa!! Just spectacular ๐Ÿ‘

                          Thank you!

                          @pilou said:

                          Very cool result! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

                          No project to make the same in Virtual Reality for give more "true 3D" at this 2D story?
                          As you have yet the 3D models ! ๐Ÿ˜‰

                          I wish I had a VR headset, it would be awesome to be able to explore the interior models I've made in Virtual Reality.

                          Freelance Sketchup modeler, always looking for more work. Twitter: @Xayxer

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • Bryan KB
                            Bryan K
                            last edited by

                            Impressive work. ๐Ÿ‘

                            See my portfolio at https://delphiscousin.blogspot.com/

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • xayzerX
                              xayzer
                              last edited by

                              @bryan k said:

                              Impressive work. ๐Ÿ‘

                              Thank you!

                              Here's another update. An interior model of a Lab, as well as three test renders. This one is from the latest issue of the book, Risen #2.

                              https://i.imgur.com/shzekyI.jpg

                              https://i.imgur.com/6We6zhz.png

                              https://i.imgur.com/TESu3uj.png

                              https://i.imgur.com/D6p5Ff0.png

                              Freelance Sketchup modeler, always looking for more work. Twitter: @Xayxer

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • pbacotP
                                pbacot
                                last edited by

                                Lab renders are totally real. All wonderful artwork! I hope you find the work you deserve.

                                MacOSX MojaveSketchUp Pro v19 Twilight v2 Thea v3 PowerCADD

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • K
                                  kaas
                                  last edited by

                                  absolutely stunning. I totally agree with pbacot.
                                  I'm curious - whats the polycount / edge count of some of those models - for instance the lab. We are talking several millions or..?

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • xayzerX
                                    xayzer
                                    last edited by

                                    @pbacot said:

                                    Lab renders are totally real. All wonderful artwork! I hope you find the work you deserve.

                                    Thank you, pbacot!

                                    @kaas said:

                                    absolutely stunning. I totally agree with pbacot.
                                    I'm curious - whats the polycount / edge count of some of those models - for instance the lab. We are talking several millions or..?

                                    Thank you!
                                    I just checked, and the lab model has 4,300,000 edges and 1,900,000 faces

                                    Freelance Sketchup modeler, always looking for more work. Twitter: @Xayxer

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • tuna1957T
                                      tuna1957
                                      last edited by

                                      Absolutely fantastic work ! ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • xayzerX
                                        xayzer
                                        last edited by

                                        @tuna1957 said:

                                        Absolutely fantastic work ! ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘

                                        Thank you!

                                        Yet another update:

                                        This one wasn't used as much in the book as was initially intended, and it got changed a bit after the final renders, but nevertheless:

                                        https://i.imgur.com/qLgYoxh.jpg

                                        https://i.imgur.com/hGEcwA0.png

                                        https://i.imgur.com/22LBGHg.png

                                        https://i.imgur.com/wWZrnRh.png

                                        Freelance Sketchup modeler, always looking for more work. Twitter: @Xayxer

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • F
                                          faust07
                                          last edited by

                                          Absolutely outstanding work! Thank you for the presentation here in the forum. Which techniques and which software do you use for the visualizations? How are the characters and their gestures created - 3D models or are they drawn into the pictures?

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • xayzerX
                                            xayzer
                                            last edited by

                                            @faust07 said:

                                            Absolutely outstanding work! Thank you for the presentation here in the forum. Which techniques and which software do you use for the visualizations? How are the characters and their gestures created - 3D models or are they drawn into the pictures?

                                            Thank you, faust07!

                                            For the models I use Sketchup, for the renders - Enscape and Photoshop.

                                            The illustrations you see below or to the right of my renderings/models are made by the artist of the LAZARUS comic book. The characters are drawn by him, though sometimes he does use 3d models as reference for them as well, especially if they are wearing some sort of specialized gear, as is the case in the two examples below:

                                            https://i.imgur.com/TM765HS.jpg

                                            https://i.imgur.com/924iFGo.jpg

                                            Freelance Sketchup modeler, always looking for more work. Twitter: @Xayxer

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better ๐Ÿ’—

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 3
                                            • 4
                                            • 2 / 4
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement