sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    What's Wrong with the Tape Measure Tool

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Discussions
    sketchup
    24 Posts 7 Posters 6.1k Views 7 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • Joe WoodJ
      Joe Wood
      last edited by

      I just got a new computer, and reinstalled SUp Ver 5 on it,

      I'm having a problem and I haven't had to tweak SUps settings for so long I forget how to!

      when I use the tape tool and double click on say an edge, it doesn't set a guideline, and when I click off of a line and drag it doesn't show a guide,

      same with protractor tool, it doesn't leave a guideline when I click and set.

      I've tried messing with open gl but that hasn't helped, anyone have any ideas??

      Joe Wood
      woodsshop.com/

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • Dave RD
        Dave R
        last edited by

        SketchUp 5? I can't hardly remember that far back. Are guides turned on in the style or in the View menu?

        Etaoin Shrdlu

        %

        (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

        G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

        M30

        %

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • jujuJ
          juju
          last edited by

          which windows OS are you using on the new machine? if I recall the OS of the day was XP when SU5 was around...

          have you tried running the legacy software in microsoft's windows legacy mode to see if it makes a difference?

          Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • cottyC
            cotty
            last edited by

            You can toggle the creation with ctrl (see little + sign).

            my SketchUp gallery

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • Dave RD
              Dave R
              last edited by

              @cotty said:

              You can toggle the creation with ctrl (see little + sign).

              I think the default behavior has always been to create guides. Could you switch off guides with Ctrl in SU5 and have the setting stay?

              Etaoin Shrdlu

              %

              (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

              G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

              M30

              %

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • Joe WoodJ
                Joe Wood
                last edited by

                Yeah I was using XP, now it's Win 7. Sounds like that might be the issue?

                I need to read up on microsoft's windows legacy mode now.

                sorry, don't understand- "You can toggle the creation with ctrl (see little + sign)"

                also "Could you switch off guides with Ctrl " could you explain that a bit more Dave??

                Joe Wood
                woodsshop.com/

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • Dave RD
                  Dave R
                  last edited by

                  Joe, I don't remember when the change occurred but for a long time, by default, the Tape Measure tool creates a guideline. You can toggle the creation off and back on by hitting Ctrl. This can be useful if you just want to take measurements without creating guidelines.

                  Did you look in the view menu to see if Guidelines (or Construction Lines) are an option to turn on and off? We're going back so far I don't remember if this was an option in V5 or not.

                  Etaoin Shrdlu

                  %

                  (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                  G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                  M30

                  %

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • Joe WoodJ
                    Joe Wood
                    last edited by

                    I've looked everywhere for a setting Dave, but,

                    when I select the Tape tool and hold ctrl it makes the guide lines, but that doesn't toggle it on / off because if I try again without ctrl, no lines.

                    Joe Wood
                    woodsshop.com/

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • Dave RD
                      Dave R
                      last edited by

                      Does the guideline stay when you use Ctrl? In later versions, at least, it's a toggle thing. Press and release to toggle the state. And there's nothing in the View menu related to it? What about in Styles? Was that a thing then?

                      Etaoin Shrdlu

                      %

                      (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                      G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                      M30

                      %

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • JQLJ
                        JQL
                        last edited by

                        View Menu > Guides

                        guides.jpg

                        It's a style dependent visual effect. You can turn their display off in your current style and some styles have it turned off by default so it's not system dependent. Are you using your own style?

                        I imagine you might have created a lot of Guides without knowing. You might delete them in Edit > Delete Guides

                        www.casca.pt
                        Visit us on facebook!

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • Dave RD
                          Dave R
                          last edited by

                          Is it the same in SU5?

                          Etaoin Shrdlu

                          %

                          (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                          G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                          M30

                          %

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • Joe WoodJ
                            Joe Wood
                            last edited by

                            No Ver 5 doesn't have that menu, doesn't have Scenes either, has Pages and there's nothing in there I can change


                            View.jpg

                            Joe Wood
                            woodsshop.com/

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • cottyC
                              cotty
                              last edited by

                              Why don't you use a more recent version?

                              my SketchUp gallery

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • JQLJ
                                JQL
                                last edited by

                                And does it have styles?

                                guides.jpg

                                www.casca.pt
                                Visit us on facebook!

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • Joe WoodJ
                                  Joe Wood
                                  last edited by

                                  well part of the reason is, 5 is what I'm familiar with, and it does everything I need it to do, but mainly, Ver 5 is back when it was still @Last Software. There weren't that many users back then, I was probably one of only 5-10 other builders in California, active on the forums, using it. I felt almost betrayed when they sold out to google and all of a sudden everyone was using it.

                                  but if I was to upgrade, which version should I go for?

                                  Joe Wood
                                  woodsshop.com/

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • Dave RD
                                    Dave R
                                    last edited by

                                    Get current and install SketchUp 2016. You can still download SketchUp 2015 but I don't believe you can get a license for it anymore. and you don't want to go back any further.

                                    Etaoin Shrdlu

                                    %

                                    (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                                    G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                                    M30

                                    %

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • JQLJ
                                      JQL
                                      last edited by

                                      Are you still using the computer from back then? With win 98! I miss that computer but I miss ZX Spectrum even more!

                                      www.casca.pt
                                      Visit us on facebook!

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • Dave RD
                                        Dave R
                                        last edited by

                                        @jql said:

                                        Are you still using the computer from back then? With win 98! I miss that computer but I miss ZX Spectrum even more!

                                        I might be wrong but I think Joe is using Win7.
                                        πŸ˜„

                                        @joe wood said:

                                        Yeah I was using XP, now it's Win 7.

                                        Etaoin Shrdlu

                                        %

                                        (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                                        G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                                        M30

                                        %

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • JQLJ
                                          JQL
                                          last edited by

                                          πŸ˜„ XP wasn't that bad!

                                          www.casca.pt
                                          Visit us on facebook!

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • Joe WoodJ
                                            Joe Wood
                                            last edited by

                                            yeah I'm on a blazin hot computer now and win 7, which isn't as much of a change from xp as I feared,

                                            I could live with needing to use the ctrl with tape tool, and stay with ver 5, question, why should I upgrade, 5 does what I need it to. What do I get, better performance? I never use plugins / whatever. Don't need to take my modeling to diff heights.

                                            say, how do I Import all my XP textures to this new machine? Go to Library, copy all the skm into a new folder, send it to the new machine, then Import> skm, and select all the skm files at once?

                                            Joe Wood
                                            woodsshop.com/

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 1 / 2
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement