sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Follow me tool pls

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Newbie Forum
    sketchup
    41 Posts 8 Posters 4.0k Views 8 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • E
      erzane
      last edited by

      need I ''recurve 1,5'' plugin ?

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • Dave RD
        Dave R
        last edited by

        I'm not sure how you would expect to use Recurve if you don't have the plugin.

        Etaoin Shrdlu

        %

        (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

        G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

        M30

        %

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • E
          erzane
          last edited by

          ok, now I see better why I didn't find it on the skp menu
          so, I downloaded the plugin
          but when I >select curve >right clic >recurve edges
          it give me this strange result
          it change the form of my curve


          I select and recurve edges


          strange result

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • E
            erzane
            last edited by

            now I have a good result enough
            after recurve and recurve, and modify my paths a bit
            but I still don't understand why have I 3 pipes with horizontal lines all along them.
            all the other pipes are ok, only those 3 as you can see are stranges (2 on the very left, and the 3rd on the very right side)


            skp forum.jpg

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • Dave RD
              Dave R
              last edited by

              It looks as if the profile you used for the Follow Me operation was exploded. Just select all of the geometry in those "cables", right click and choose Smooth/Soften. Adjust the slider if you have to.

              Etaoin Shrdlu

              %

              (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

              G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

              M30

              %

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • BoxB
                Box
                last edited by

                And you wouldn't need Dave's fix if you had used recurve on the circle of the profile as well as the path before follow me.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • E
                  erzane
                  last edited by

                  Dave : smooth/soften option is very god, it clean all kind of small undesirable details
                  thanks a lot for that tip

                  Box : yes I didn't think about recurve the circles in fact

                  p.s. as I see, recurve is not very necessary if I can use smooth/soften option for repare right ?
                  p.s.' I found a solo ''smooth'' option in the same menu for erase single lines


                  here is the result after smooth/soften

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • Dave RD
                    Dave R
                    last edited by

                    The nice thing about using Recurve on your Follow Me paths is that it makes them easier to select if you preselect the path before running Follow Me on the profile. Especially when the profile is small and the path is long, it is nice to be able to select the path with a single click. You won't have to chase around the model to select all of the path lines.

                    Etaoin Shrdlu

                    %

                    (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                    G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                    M30

                    %

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • BoxB
                      Box
                      last edited by

                      There are many ways to do things in sketchup. Different situations and workflow make different tools more relevant to the particular applications. There are probably 10 more ways we could come up with to do what you are doing, but it is all about learning what is possible. You need to work out what works best for you. personally I prefer to get the construction right to begin with rather than spending time repairing things. The soften/smooth setting isn't designed to hide things.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • E
                        erzane
                        last edited by

                        I learned a lot of thing on this thread, thanks a lot guys

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • Dave RD
                          Dave R
                          last edited by

                          It is indeed best to fix things and make them right as you go along. Much easier than going back and repairing the model later. Sloppy modeling up front just means more work in the end.

                          Etaoin Shrdlu

                          %

                          (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                          G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                          M30

                          %

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • E
                            erzane
                            last edited by

                            I agree,
                            thanks for your tips

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • F
                              Futurepast
                              last edited by

                              @tig said:

                              Look up 'weld' in a dictionary...
                              It means to join separate pieces together to form a single object.
                              In English it usually refers to metal things...🤓

                              A duuh moment for me! Arc Weld, Mig Meld, Tig weld........TIG WELD I get it now! 😆

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0

                              Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                              Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                              With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                              Register Login
                              • 1
                              • 2
                              • 3
                              • 1 / 3
                              • First post
                                Last post
                              Buy SketchPlus
                              Buy SUbD
                              Buy WrapR
                              Buy eBook
                              Buy Modelur
                              Buy Vertex Tools
                              Buy SketchCuisine
                              Buy FormFonts

                              Advertisement