sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Can one use the orbit tool with precision?

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Newbie Forum
    sketchup
    28 Posts 7 Posters 5.5k Views 7 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • BoxB
      Box
      last edited by

      Are you talking about when you are working on the model or do you want to be able to show this type of move to others?

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • D
        djh
        last edited by

        When I'm working on it.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • BoxB
          Box
          last edited by

          Like this?


          Orbit.gif

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • BoxB
            Box
            last edited by

            But it is easier with a spacemouse.


            3d Spacemouse.gif

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • BoxB
              Box
              last edited by

              I guess it'll be two years again for the next installment.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • D
                djh
                last edited by

                @box said:

                I guess it'll be two years again for the next installment.

                One must have a spacemouse to constrain the rotation?

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • D
                  djh
                  last edited by

                  @box said:

                  Like this?

                  Yes. How did you do it?

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • S
                    slbaumgartner
                    last edited by

                    Drag exactly horizontally.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • BoxB
                      Box
                      last edited by

                      My first gif shows me simply using orbit with the the middle mouse button. No tricks or fancy hardware. Just click and drag horizontally.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • D
                        djh
                        last edited by

                        Box, I have a Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000. The middle wheel button doesn't do anything. I suppose that I need to get a different mouse. Thank you for your advice.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • BoxB
                          Box
                          last edited by

                          That begs the question, how long have you been using SU without a working navigation system.
                          You may only need to adjust the mouse settings. Find the settings for the mouse and set the wheel to Middle Mouse click or equivalent.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • D
                            djh
                            last edited by

                            I don't know. It still doesn't work for me. See attached.


                            Mouse.png

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • Dave RD
                              Dave R
                              last edited by

                              Can you make the middle button do anything? Even in a different application? A while back I taught a SketchUp class in a school where they provided the computer. The Microsoft mouse they had required an awful lot of pressure to get that button to work. I wound up bringing in my own wireless mouse and using it instead.

                              Etaoin Shrdlu

                              %

                              (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                              G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                              M30

                              %

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • D
                                djh
                                last edited by

                                What mouse do you use?

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • Dave RD
                                  Dave R
                                  last edited by

                                  I use Logitech mice on both my Mac and PC. Different models neither of which I can remember. The one I use on the Mac was the least expensive wireless Logitech mouse I could get locally. The other came with a wireless keyboard.

                                  Etaoin Shrdlu

                                  %

                                  (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                                  G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                                  M30

                                  %

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • BoxB
                                    Box
                                    last edited by

                                    Generally the cheapest simple three button scroll wheel mouse possible.
                                    The more you pay the more the drivers can screw things up. The more the ergonomics can set the scroll wheel too far down to be an easy orbit without hitting the other buttons etc etc

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • Jean LemireJ
                                      Jean Lemire
                                      last edited by

                                      Hi folks.

                                      I use a Logitech wireless mouse on my Mac. I did not install the driver that came with it. The Mac OS Mouse driver does the job very well.

                                      If you use a driver, usually, you assign the scroll wheel as button 3.

                                      Just ideas.

                                      Jean (Johnny) Lemire from Repentigny, Quebec, Canada.

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • D
                                        djh
                                        last edited by

                                        @box said:

                                        I guess it'll be two years again for the next installment.

                                        Box, I got a new mouse. The middle button works, but I can't orbit precisely.

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • D
                                          djh
                                          last edited by

                                          @box said:

                                          My first gif shows me simply using orbit with the the middle mouse button. No tricks or fancy hardware. Just click and drag horizontally.

                                          ?Just click the left button,the right button, or the middle button?

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • D
                                            djh
                                            last edited by

                                            @djh said:

                                            @box said:

                                            My first gif shows me simply using orbit with the the middle mouse button. No tricks or fancy hardware. Just click and drag horizontally.

                                            ?Just click the left button,the right button, or the middle button?

                                            When I click using the middle button, it is not constrained. I can't keep the blue axis line at 12:00 6:00. I have a new mouse.

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 1 / 2
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement